I do use Facebook quite a lot personally, and I have created a Public Page for the Troop for Girls I am forming.  

Question for today is...  I am thinking about creating a public figure FB page for me a leader.  I would like to be connected to community leaders, school officials, other leaders in the District etc that I wouldnt normally send a friend request to.  People that don't necessarily need to see my stupid animal videos or Dr Who posting on FB.  Just a way for me to be connected and communicate about Scouts.

Thoughts?  

3 minutes ago, MattR said:

Many people have personal and professional accounts. Not a problem for me.

I just dont want to seem too self important.  Is being a Scout Leader in a community worthy of another social media account?  

I am Cubmaster, I am forming a new G Troop, I am a member of the Boy Troop Committee.  My kid is a Bear and so I have probably at least 10 or 11 years in this.

4 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I just dont want to seem too self important.  Is being a Scout Leader in a community worthy of another social media account?  

I am Cubmaster, I am forming a new G Troop, I am a member of the Boy Troop Committee.  My kid is a Bear and so I have probably at least 10 or 11 years in this.

I'd go for it.  One limitation I've noticed.  While FB is a great way to communicate, I've had to have a Plan B for those that don't have an account or rarely check their FB page.   This is usually an email or a text.

4 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

I'd go for it.  One limitation I've noticed.  While FB is a great way to communicate, I've had to have a Plan B for those that don't have an account or rarely check their FB page.   This is usually an email or a text.

I am talking people that I know have FB accounts...  board members in chamber of commerce, economic development board, city council, teachers. etc..  People in town (population less than 10,000) that, I wouldn't normally friend, but I would like to have a "professional" relationship with to promote what we are doing in town.  And by "we" I mean the Pack, the Troop, the "Friends of Scouting" group.  I don't want to be presumptuous, but at the same time I feel like I am the only one that want to put forth the effort to promote.

Just now, 5thGenTexan said:

I am talking people that I know have FB accounts...  board members in chamber of commerce, economic development board, city council, teachers. etc..  People in town (population less than 10,000) that, I wouldn't normally friend, but I would like to have a "professional" relationship with to promote what we are doing in town.  And by "we" I mean the Pack, the Troop, the "Friends of Scouting" group.  I don't want to be presumptuous, but at the same time I feel like I am the only one that want to put forth the effort to promote.

I see...I think it's a great idea.

• Like 1

I'm not normally a Facebook user, but I do have one for Scouting use.  I'm still fairly disciplined about who I friend.  I figure I need to actually know you through Scouting to friend you.  There's a few Scouters I've seen on Facebook who friend very liberally.  

20 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I'm not normally a Facebook user, but I do have one for Scouting use.  I'm still fairly disciplined about who I friend.  I figure I need to actually know you through Scouting to friend you.  There's a few Scouters I've seen on Facebook who friend very liberally.  

I use FB alot, but all of my "friends" are people I actually know.  I don't friend random people and I dont accept those requests. 

BUT, I do have a different sense of humor and I might want to be political on occasion.  Its not that I want to hide anything I do but I also dont want to feel like I can't post things just because I am a leader.  Keep that separate from the Scout "business".

Does that make sense?

15 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I use FB alot, but all of my "friends" are people I actually know.  I don't friend random people and I dont accept those requests. 

BUT, I do have a different sense of humor and I might want to be political on occasion.  Its not that I want to hide anything I do but I also dont want to feel like I can't post things just because I am a leader.  Keep that separate from the Scout "business".

Does that make sense?

Yes.

I think we all have to consider what kind of image we want to reflect - be it online, in Scouting, with friends, at work, etc...  If you want to keep a more professional vibe as a Cubmaster, that's certainly fine.  Of course, I know lots of leaders - be it unit, district, council, professional, etc... who share all kinds of things.  So, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to limit what you share - but it is up to you.  There's certainly no downside to presenting a more polished image as a leader.

I have a love-hate relationship with the page I made for our jamboree troop. I wound up being the only one posting to it, and some people were upset when they didn't see a picture of their kid. The whole 5G wired camping experience kinda weirded me out.

I would talk to some of the other community leaders you're thinking of. See if they want to try putting themselves out there at the same time you do.

Edit: I didn't read your post carefully - you mentioned a public FB page for yourself, not a 2nd account. Whoops.

Go for it. I think it's a good idea. I've had a lot of success with our public FB page as a recruitment tool for our Pack. It's also linked to various area groups, like the PD, YMCA, local business who support us, etc. It's slow to start, but on it's own it's a recruiting magnet after a few years of building it up. I hope you have the same success with your leader page.

Edited by Beccachap
misread original query