Changes in Ceremonies

Thanks for posting this! I anticipate that we won't have a regalia option in the future. Only the uniform and the black shirt/pants options. 

I would like to see what the ceremonialist medallion looks like.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, prof said:

I would like to see what the ceremonialist medallion looks like.

I see on another forum that it's still in production but it's going to be roughly 4" in diameter. 

As a youth my main interests were scouting, ceremonies, and target shooting. Hmm, I wonder if I can still hit a 4" target at 200 yards.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

At our last chapter meeting I was told that the lodge is taking this recommendation from National as an order. They want us to switch all The regalia to Iroquois  or  susquehannock with 3 weeks to the callout and only a hundred dollar budget.  The ceremonies team lost half of its members within an hour.  It's actually a relief that the camporee and ordeal have been canceled due to the Chinese flu. I don't think it would have been possible with just 4 ceremonialists, one who is brand new, and only 1 stage crew. 

Not sure what will happen in the fall.  I'm thinking of telling them "If you think you can get the team to spend 40-60 hours each to make new outfits, after all the work they put in making their current ones, and buy all the raw materials needed for under $750,  go right ahead.  I'll watch"

Edited by Oldscout448

This does tie in with another thread, but this is not an order.  The best thing to do to keep your regalia is to contact a local native American tribe or representative.  I understand the intent is to honor those local tribes by using their regalia-type items.  The best time to find help is a local powwow and have their buy in.  I'm still loyal to the order to keep the arrow, heck the sash has it, and hopefully we don't lose that too.

There are times to call our the Lodge and the LEC to make it as impressive as ever before.  Wearing black pajamas and a necklace will give it a cult-like look.  I'm thinking like the nut cases of the heaven's gate complex...please no to the black PJs. 

While I respect that changing is unsettling, especially with the work and expense that has gone into existing regalia.  Iroquois regalia does give a lot of pretty awesome options though.  Chris from the Wandering Bull has lineage from Iroquois, so you'll find some really great ideas from his website.  Wampum beading, gustoweh's, etc.   

Our Lodge Chief did speak with contacts from Region/National when this February update was released- it was not intended to wipe away the release from last year, but was to emphasize for those who have resisted that they do need to change their regalia to be regionally appropriate or they must go the uniform/black clothing route.  So, yes, it is an order- but, I think some are confused on what that order is and are interpreting they must have a local tribe approve.  They do not.  From the Feb 2020 article (I am highlighting key words):

Alternative Ceremonial Clothing should be used in situations where a lodge (1) does not have a relationship with a local tribe, (2) a local tribe has expressed concern with the use American Indian ceremonial attire for this purpose, or (3) limited resources preclude a lodge from developing historically correct and acceptable American Indian ceremonial attire.

If lodges use American Indian attire, all efforts should be made by the lodge to depict the American Indian tribes that are native to the area. It is recommended that a lodge engage and work with the American Indian community to determine what attire would be appropriate and accurate.

So, it is recommended that you work with a local tribe, but for tribes that there exists a great deal of source material to determine what can be/is accurate, such as Iroquois, it may not necessarily be needed to have the tribe give guidance.