Duplicate Troop numbers

I'm going to weigh in here...

I do the JTE for our troops.  It is very confusing to do anything when both troops use the same number.  There was some finagling for Council so that we could enter JTE for the girls troop.  In addition, the JTE excel sheet and a lot of boiler plate things do not let you add a letter and only accept numbers in the field.  Our girls also do not wear a G on their sleeve after our troop number, nor do the boys.

It would have been easier to have separate numbers from the get-go.

On another note, council folks have messed up our popcorn prizes because they saw the girl form first.  Still waiting for my kid's free tickets he earned two months later... I'm just saying that adding a leading digit is a good idea or just a whole other different number.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, @njdrt-rdr, it doesn't flow very well. But this was permitted in response to boots on the ground. Numbers usually track with the CO. So, each of the CO's units -- be it a Pack, Troop, Crew, Post

(decided not to comment, after all)  

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:35 AM, qwazse said:

Before going to World Jamboree, I thought that co-ed was inevitable. Not so much now. My troop of boys saw a variety of configurations -- in some cases a country's girl-scouts and boy-scouts camped together for just this event. In other cases events like this were nothing new. And, in other cases it was a little weird that opposite sexes could not share a tent at Jambo. There wasn't all that much excitement that we just opened the program to girls.

I didn't get the impression that our boys were considered backward. I did get the impression that other country's boy scout and girl scout programs play a lot nicer together. So, assuming that the 10K other BSA members at WSJ got the same impression, there's not a lot of push for change. There will always be rogue troops who will thumb their nose at Ellie Morrison and live co-ed under the linked banner. But, it will take a generation of girls who work the program to decide if that needs to be pushed nationally.

While they say co-ed is not the plan and should not be happening. I'm at our local cub pack blue and gold Sunday and one of the boys crossing over has an older sister with a scout uniform on. We start talking to her to find out she is in a troop in another council because the troop in the town next door, runs their troops, boys and girls together. All meetings are together, all campouts are together, every activity and event is together. She went to a different troop because she wanted to be a troop of girls, not a co-ed troop. She said she loves it because they can do stuff and not have to worry about dealing with boys.. So while on paper the two troops (that have the same troop number) are two different troops, they are operating as one. 

7 hours ago, njdrt-rdr said:

While they say co-ed is not the plan and should not be happening. I'm at our local cub pack blue and gold Sunday and one of the boys crossing over has an older sister with a scout uniform on. We start talking to her to find out she is in a troop in another council because the troop in the town next door, runs their troops, boys and girls together. All meetings are together, all campouts are together, every activity and event is together. She went to a different troop because she wanted to be a troop of girls, not a co-ed troop. She said she loves it because they can do stuff and not have to worry about dealing with boys.. So while on paper the two troops (that have the same troop number) are two different troops, they are operating as one. 

So, there weren't any rogue troops operating like this prior to opening things up to girls? Part of the sea change was driven by families who felt their girls and boys were better off hiking and camping together, and part was driven by families who felt that their daughters should be working the same program as their sons. The stopping short of allowing a troop to change from boys-only to co-ed was driven by folks who've overstated the supposed limitations of mixed group education (and partly -- I'm willing to bet -- lawyers already dreading the liability of officially sanctioning such a thing -- even if rates of abuse were known to be no different). Needless to say, all parties have a lot of disrespect for the other parties to go around.

Considering that, it could have been worse. You could have been saddled with paperwork, from Pack/Troop123, 123c (coed), and 123g (girl).

BTW, in terms of youth sentiment. I've met boys in linked troops who find it unsettling to work with girls, and their brothers who prefer working with girls.