Duplicate Troop numbers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, @njdrt-rdr, it doesn't flow very well. But this was permitted in response to boots on the ground. Numbers usually track with the CO. So, each of the CO's units -- be it a Pack, Troop, Crew, Post

(decided not to comment, after all)  

4 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Just FYI, Cub Packs have all had "3" in the thousands place for decades.  Nobody uses it, nobody thinks they should use it.  I don't think any Cub pack has found it to be annoying.   Every single digit, double digit, and triple digit unit number you see is actually a short version of a four digit number.  Troops of boys have "0" as their first digit; I forget what the number is for Crews. 

The two packs I was with (in two different councils) did not - their first digit was a "0".  Maybe councils can set up their own rules with unit numbers?

I can see how it could be helpful to have a different digit for different unit types, although it would be just as easy to use a unit type field in the database.

Edited by Thunderbird
7 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Just FYI, Cub Packs have all had "3" in the thousands place for decades.  Nobody uses it, nobody thinks they should use it.  I don't think any Cub pack has found it to be annoying.   Every single digit, double digit, and triple digit unit number you see is actually a short version of a four digit number.  Troops of boys have "0" as their first digit; I forget what the number is for Crews.

All the Packs in my area use the 3xxx.  My own son's pack was 3265.

9 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Nobody uses it, nobody thinks they should use it. 

The only use I have found for those prefix numbers is that it makes it easier to filter units when I am using parts of the Commissioner Tools in my.scouting.  If I am looking for a pack whose CO also sponsors a troop and a crew, putting the 3 in there only shows me the pack to select, rather than all 3.  I could just put the number to scout wear, and select based on the logo that shows next to the number, but the prefix ensures that my ancient eyes do not cause me to open the wrong type of unit.

11 hours ago, elitts said:

All the Packs in my area use the 3xxx.  My own son's pack was 3265.

I have heard that not all councils use the same prefix.

Here in Central Florida Council, our Pack would be 3xxx; Troop 0xxx; and Crew 2xxx.

Just a hunch, but maybe this extra digit thing is a leftover from bad software practices decades ago and each council decides their own way to deal with the fact that there's still no way to filter a database by unit type. 

It's just truly amazing to me that this is still an issue. It's sort of like why ID numbers are still not unique across BSA. Oh well, something else for the new guy to fix.

20 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

The two packs I was with (in two different councils) did not - their first digit was a "0".  Maybe councils can set up their own rules with unit numbers?

I can see how it could be helpful to have a different digit for different unit types, although it would be just as easy to use a unit type field in the database.

Yes, it is by council. There are “common” leading digit conventions but there will always be variations. 

On 2/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, MattR said:

Just a hunch, but maybe this extra digit thing is a leftover from bad software practices decades ago and each council decides their own way to deal with the fact that there's still no way to filter a database by unit type. 

It's just truly amazing to me that this is still an issue. It's sort of like why ID numbers are still not unique across BSA. Oh well, something else for the new guy to fix.

Oh, they'e unique all right, just not uniform.  I Scouted at one time in four councils, and so, as you know, had four BSA ID numbers.  Hard to fix stupid.

11 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

Did you ask the girls what they think? 

Right now I have my daughter.  I have talked to the Council Registrar about setting up the Troop as "Coming Soon" in beascout.  I have to turn in new unit paperwork for that.  I think some things I am just going to have to decide and go with it.  For that matter the DE told me if its under the same charter, its going to be the same number.

13 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

The Troop for Girls I am working on will be the same number as the Boy Troop.  I preferred it that way and the CO is good with that as it the Boy Troop Committee.

Our Council wants "GT" to go before the unit number on paperwork.  

12 hours ago, Treflienne said:

Did you ask the girls what they think? 

This is one of those quirky things that can be filed under "Oh, what a tangled web ..."
If you think you have to ask the girls, why do you think you wouldn't have to ask the boys under the same roof? If you could ask the girls who would join the troop 7 years from now, what would their opinion be? My bet? They won't be bothered as long as their SM takes them hiking and camping every month of the year!

Sometimes, when you get nods from your CO and the other troop's committee for your gut, and the council makes it work for them, you just go with it.

I'm not trying to say the unit numbers aren't important to youth. They often are, and in situations like this someone isn't going to like whatever is decided. Part of scoutmastering is helping youth look past these sorts of things. The most important part of the uniform is not the number, it's the smile!

Edited by qwazse
  • Like 1