Positive Council Changes during Financial Reorganization

10 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I could go with that - but I do believe we'd find a relatively short list. 

The shorter the better!  The fewer things we actually need councils and council employees for, the more room there is for units and volunteers to run Scouting from the bottom up with a focus on unit Scouting and the local community.  I'd add:

Councils:

• implementation and enforcement of BSA policies
  • management of legal, insurance, and claims matters involving Scouting units, members, and activities
  • specialized training for all units on year-round member recruitment, Webelos/AoL transition to ScoutsBSA, and care and feeding of members and families to improve retention

Council professionals:

• specially trained escalation point for all issues of member conduct and compliance with BSA policy
  • signing contracts for goods and services on behalf of council (with council board approval / delegated authority)
  • specially trained incident / emergency management point of contact for health and safety issues
  • management of other council employees

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, camps should be independently owned and managed by a camp alumni trust, thus the camp is shielded from the financial misfortunes of the Council or National. This trust rents out its camping

From my travels (six different councils), units that might be classified as "freeloaders" often have grounds for not supporting their council.  Peel back the onion and these units make the following c

I was going to write something about council camps and management and all that good stuff, but I stopped. There really is only one problem that needs to be solved at the council level. The person

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dkurtenbach said:

The shorter the better!  The fewer things we actually need councils and council employees for, the more room there is for units and volunteers to run Scouting from the bottom up with a focus on unit Scouting and the local community.  I'd add:

Councils:

• implementation and enforcement of BSA policies
  • management of legal, insurance, and claims matters involving Scouting units, members, and activities
  • specialized training for all units on year-round member recruitment, Webelos/AoL transition to ScoutsBSA, and care and feeding of members and families to improve retention

Council professionals:

• specially trained escalation point for all issues of member conduct and compliance with BSA policy
  • signing contracts for goods and services on behalf of council (with council board approval / delegated authority)
  • specially trained incident / emergency management point of contact for health and safety issues
  • management of other council employees

Good list.

For the sake of this discussion, I am going to accept that there is another, district level, list which is separate.

One item I'd suggest need not be a council professional:

This could be a volunteer role. 

• Like 1