I know everyone here knows that "a scout is reverent", but does your unit do anything special to show it?

Like maybe doing something together for Scout Sunday?

Well, that time of year is just around the corner, and many units WILL be doing some kind of special event to show reverence and Duty to God.

Does your unit have something special planned?

54 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

We will attend a service at our CO for Scout Sunday....

In my opinion, that's not only a good way to show reverence, it also shows the community that scouting is alive and well and available in the community.  A troop that's really on the ball when it comes to recruiting won't rely just on Webelos bridging into the troop.  Being visible in the CO church lets other kids and parents see an opportunity that they might not have been aware of if they were not themselves webelos.

Our Troop will participate in our Charter Organization's service on Scout Sunday. 

My church holds their own Scout Sunday and the Scouts are the altar servers, lectors, ushers, and gift bearers for the Mass.  Last year we had 100+ Scouts. We attract Scouts from other local communities because their own churches do not hold Scout Sunday services and because our religious emblem recipients should be recognized in a church setting.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really.  Ours is more like a wear your uniform to your church service that day and let me know kind of thing.  It's not even put in our calendar of events :(  because some churches do the Scout Sunday a different day than the one that BSA sets aside for it.  This weekend my scout is going to a church that does celebrate Scout Sunday.  The patches are always so cool.  It's a tradition to collect them for him.

I kind of like that more informal approach. Our CO always has a service, but it's the exact time as our own church's service. We usually opt to go to our own, which is very low key and basically wear your uniform, stand up and say something short, and be friendly. I also have to say, I am not a fan of the BSA's enthusiasm for turning everything into a ceremonial event. A flag ceremony with meaning? Great. An Eagle COH? Great. AOL Crossover? Great. The rest of it on a near weekly or monthly basis just feels like a poor use of time and diminishes the gravity and impact.   

• Upvote 1

Though we attend our CO's service, I'm not a big fan of Scout Sunday.

Having an event like this where you come out once a year in force seems like a check box item.  Feels to me like it would be preferable to have a more regular interaction.  Perhaps quarterly service projects or activites where the unit is more tied into the life of the CO.  Make engagement with the CO part of what the unit does.

We attend at out Co and they make a big deal that we are there and talk about the other things we do during the year. Its one of the few times I get a lot of people thanking me for what I do for scouts.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

Though we attend our CO's service, I'm not a big fan of Scout Sunday.

Having an event like this where you come out once a year in force seems like a check box item.  Feels to me like it would be preferable to have a more regular interaction.  Perhaps quarterly service projects or activites where the unit is more tied into the life of the CO.  Make engagement with the CO part of what the unit does.

Those are not mutually exclusive events.  Our troop is a regular participant in ways large and small in our parish.  Scout Sunday is an opportunity for the scouts and the parish to specifically recognize and celebrate scouting in the parish.  Keep your scout sunday participation, expand on the others.

• 2 years later...

I did as a kid. We have had it on our calendar the last 5 years. Last year, our SM tried to encourage our Sxouts to attend a church that has been our “summer CO” when the schools are closed. Most of the D ours were like “what? why?”  I don’t know if any attend church services on a regular basis, in fact, I don’t think any do. 

• Sad 1