9 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I see that the FAQs still has the incorrect statement that Dodgeball has never been an approved activity. I wonder how much longer it will take to correct that?

Any idea @RichardB ?

When Dodgeball is outlawed only Outlaws will play dodgeball

They can have my dodgeball when they pry it from my cold dead hands

Dodgeball..it's not about hunting

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

You are clearly misremembering citizen.  Careful or it will be re-education summer camp for you!  Move along.😉

Orwell was definitely ahead of his time. Then again, this was something he saw first hand in the Spanish Civil War.

14 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I see that the FAQs still has the incorrect statement that Dodgeball has never been an approved activity. I wonder how much longer it will take to correct that?

Any idea @RichardB ?

If you can Dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball....

Not to compare the two items, but one of the reasons (and a good one I might add) for allowing girls into Cubs and Scouts was that siblings were tagging along and participating, so might as well make it official.  Let's do the same for dodgeball... if all the units played dodgeball...well everybody is participating, so might as well make it official.

Just an idea

"f you can Dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball."

The voice of experience?

Edited by MattR
Removing video that is unrelated to topic (while funny, it does violate policy)
On 1/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, ShootingSports said:

I am pretty sure this is listed as a prohibited activity. Non-motorized ride in a glider for Scouts BSA youth?

To the original post:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

Flying—use of hang gliders, ultralights, experimental aircraft, or nontethered hot-air balloons, or flying in an aircraft as part of a search-and-rescue mission (exceptions: transportation to Scouting events by commercial airlines; flying or tethered hot-air balloon flights following completion of the Flying Plan Checklist PDF icon)

See the flying plan checklist, variables include airworthiness of craft and pilot qualifications.    

To the others, please don't put participants or yourself in the position of risk.   

5 hours ago, RichardB said:

To the original post:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

Flying—use of hang gliders, ultralights, experimental aircraft, or nontethered hot-air balloons, or flying in an aircraft as part of a search-and-rescue mission (exceptions: transportation to Scouting events by commercial airlines; flying or tethered hot-air balloon flights following completion of the Flying Plan Checklist PDF icon)

See the flying plan checklist, variables include airworthiness of craft and pilot qualifications.    

To the others, please don't put participants or yourself in the position of risk.   

Does that actually answer the question? 

Gliders are not the same thing as a "hang gliders, ultralights, experimental aircraft, or nontethered hot-air balloons"  It appears that "flying ... following completion of the Flying Plan Checklist" would not be prohibited, and after looking at the Flying Plan Checklist I don't see anything that prohibits flying in a glider so long as it conforms to the requirements for pilot and aircraft worthiness.

Any aviation experts out there want to chime in?

• Like 1

Ok, here is how I would analyze this:

Does it fall under prohibited flying activities:

• Hang gilder - NO
  • Ultralight - NO
  • Experimental aircraft - NO if properly rated
  • Non-tethered hot-air balloon - NO
  • Search and rescue - NO

Does it fall under the exceptions:

• Commercial aircraft - NO
  • Flying - YES but see Flying Plan Checklist
  • Tethered hot-air balloon - NO

So it looks like  it is a PERMITTED activity provided I jump through all the hoops in the Flying Plan Checklist which among its many requirements includes an appropriate Airworthiness Certificate.

I predict the next revision of the Guide to Safe Scouting will explicity prohibit gliders.  

7 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Completion of the flying plan checklist leads to the go / no go decision of an exception to the prohibition.   

In other words, "Yes, but safely."

The gist of the flight plan seems to require three things:

• A credentialed pilot.
  • A credentialed aircraft.
  • Insurance.

The key is to recognize valid credentials. (The FAA has specific certifications of flight-worthiness. I found this for fixed-wing sailplanes: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/22059 . From a consumer perspective I can't make heads nor tails of it.). The BSA Flight Plan is basically putting it on you to check certifications. Not necessarily a bad thing, but obviously a challenge.