2 year tenting rule - with yurts??

37 minutes ago, qwazse said:

We had another issue about bad behavior in one of the youth shower houses, because adults were not "allowed" to enter them.

I have a few stories about the shower on *that* camp too. My poor English Roses when faced with a shower room full of spanish girls with next to nothing on and no personal space issues. I tried to be sympathetic and stifle the giggles.

11 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

OK, question on this.   We are camping on a beach in the summer.  Has anyone built a hammock stand by making a pioneering project?  

Yes. Though the beach might scupper our design that we more or less copied off the internet.

If you wanted 6 people to hammock, six posts, set out in a hexagon, bashed into the ground at an angle (60o ish?) pointing out from the centre of the hexagon, rope strung around the top to join each pole together. Each pole had two guy lines pulling the top rope taught, and stopping the posts flipping into the middle when any weight is put on the hammocks.

It doesn't need everyone to be in at once, if one person gets in the force is just spread around. You can use the top rope to put a tarp over if you need one.

Like I said though, on a beach, it might be scuppered by the pegs not staying in the ground, as there's quite a lot of force on the guys.

I have seen things that do away with any need for guy lines which might work better. A tripod each end as a stand, then a pole hung from the centre of each tripod, and the hammock hung from the horizontal pole...

You could add tripods in a circle so you only need the same number of tripods as sleepers.

In sand you may need to tie the bottoms of the legs together, or put more poles on, to stop the tripod spreading.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, but responsibility for youth safety ultimately rests with the adults.  I presume that you're saying that since adults are there to help guide the youth leaders, the way we should respect the YPT

Lean on the "modifications may be made" bit. When we had one female adult with a troop in one cabin, she'd have a bunk with a tarp hung for privacy ... adults on one wall, boys on the opposite wa

Consider the yurt a cabin not a tent.  Whole troops with a full range of ages share cabins all the time.  For the adults, do whatever separation makes everybody most comfortable, be it hanging tarps o

3 hours ago, mashmaster said:

OK, question on this.   We are camping on a beach in the summer.  Has anyone built a hammock stand by making a pioneering project?  

A couple of folks at WSJ made inspiring two-pole hammock rigs from a pair of the 8 the split 8' two-by-fours and spare stakes issued each troop. Some used four-poles. Same principle as shared above. However, the impacted clay of an old strip mine holds far better than beach dunes.

I would suggest using 6 poles, and two half-poles for stakes. Lash two triangles, dig parallel trenches reasonably apart, bury one side if each triangle in the sand,  and using a single line connecting both peaks slightly further apart than the bases and extending out sufficiently in either direction, anchor them in opposing directions. You might not need six poles per scout. With long enough line and adding mid poles, you could probably hang multiple hammocks in a line.

The rig could also double as a beach volleyball net.

3 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

I have a few stories about the shower on *that* camp too. My poor English Roses when faced with a shower room full of spanish girls with next to nothing on and no personal space issues. I tried to be sympathetic and stifle the giggles. ...

Our camp: the boy's shower was harboring our ner-do-wells.

Although, your "poor English Roses" had some especially flowery speech echoing through their house. Ambient temperature water has been known to do that.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, David CO said:

The standard of safety used to be what a reasonable person would do.  We need to go back to that standard, and stop bubble wrapping our kids at the command of the lawyers and bean counters.

When I was a kid, thanks to how I grew up,  I felt pretty confident in my ability to handle a lot of stuff. I was also around a lot of adults who engaged in what today would be termed risky behavior. However, their overall competence level was such that I never felt much at risk.  Today, I look at a lot of the adults around and very few seem to have common sense of the variety that was developed based on either street smarts, outdoor living, rural living, whatever. The exception is people who come here from other places, or maybe live in some of the few places where life is still a little bit more consequential. BSA is trying to train life skills into people of all stripes over a few weekends. Much as we might like, I don't think we can set the clock back, and that's why we have inconvenient things like GTSS. You in particular might be completely competent to oversee throwback Thursdays but many are not. 

• Upvote 1