Jump to content
Liz

2 year tenting rule - with yurts??

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Treflienne said:

 

I agree with Liz.

If Sally and Susy are 25 months apart in age, they can NEVER tent together.

If Sally and Sarah are 23 months apart in age, YPT age rules ALWAYS permit them to tent together.

It doesn't change month by month.  The kids can easily figure out who in their patrols they can tent with.  And it is the same for the next camping trip, also.

But it does mean that a barely 11-year-old cannot tent with an older 13-year-old.

Two year rule ... My fear is driving kids out of scouting.  The two year rule minimizes tenting options.  As some kids are immature or even just jerks, I could see good kids leaving scouting because their patrol does not have enough kids in their age bracket to mix up the tenting partners.  As much as I like scouting, I would be completely reasonable for a kid to leave scouting if his only option was six years of sharing tents with someone he does not want.  

Your discussion is one of the reasons I like letting scouts pick their own patrol, but starting them together when they join.  Scouts tend toward their own ages / grades.  It maximizes tenting options.  

Edited by fred8033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

scouting is much better off because of G2SS.  

But are the kids better off.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David CO said:

But are the kids better off.  

Absolutely.  Without any doubt in my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fred8033 said:

Absolutely.  Without any doubt in my mind. 

I don't see how the kids are better off with the restrictions.  They only benefit the institution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

Why aren’t adults trusting the Scouts to honor the Scout Law?

Because the lawyers and bean-counters don't trust anybody.  Scouts included.

Edited by David CO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know that G2SS is there to protect our behinds as leaders, but in the process, yes, I do believe it also makes the kids safer.

I feel a lot more confident knowing my unit follows the G2SS especially the YPT portions. Are there some risks that don't get taken that maybe our kids could benefit from? Sure, probably. But overall I see the guidelines as a positive. 

Then again, I work with Safe Kids USA and am perhaps more acutely aware of the kinds of things that cause preventable injuries in kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liz said:

Then again, I work with Safe Kids USA and am perhaps more acutely aware of the kinds of things that cause preventable injuries in kids. 

I am a Health teacher.  My degree is in Health Education, which includes Safety Education.  I like to think I know a thing or two about safety.

I teach moderation.  In my nutrition unit, for example, I recommend eating a sensible, steady diet.  No binging.  No crash diets.  No fad diets.  Just eat all the food groups in moderation.

I have very similar views on safety.  It doesn't make sense to practice total safety in one environment, like scouting or school, and then practice very little safety at home or at sports/recreational activities.  It makes more sense to have the same reasonable level of safety everywhere.  

The standard of safety used to be what a reasonable person would do.  We need to go back to that standard, and stop bubble wrapping our kids at the command of the lawyers and bean counters.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know in our Venture and Sea Scout units that my son is in.  The Girl love to sleep all in a huge tent and the boys want to be alone in a hammock.  I think they would rebel against me and leave if I made either side change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hammocks is the answer, hammocks.  Now I guess if Scouts groups together in hammock pods and they are more than 2 years apart the YPT zealots may raise an alarm.

While we're at it, don't forget staying on museum ships.  You have Scouts of all ages bunking right beside each other and adults all in the same area.  Horrors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

While we're at it, don't forget staying on museum ships.  You have Scouts of all ages bunking right beside each other and adults all in the same area.  Horrors

We went on an international trip a few years back which has passed into unit legend. We spent a couple of nights on a visit to an island and sleeping accomodation was a gym floor. There was about 300 of us. Explorer Scouts from Spain, UK, France, and a few other places, all aged 14-18, male and female, and their leaders. You know those pictures you see when there's a natural disaster and a bunch of people get evacuated to a local school? Yeah, just like that. UK rules are that leaders and young people have separate sleeping areas. That is not, apparently, the spanish way. Fun, looking back at it, but at the time...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

We went on an international trip a few years back which has passed into unit legend. We spent a couple of nights on a visit to an island and sleeping accomodation was a gym floor. There was about 300 of us. Explorer Scouts from Spain, UK, France, and a few other places, all aged 14-18, male and female, and their leaders. You know those pictures you see when there's a natural disaster and a bunch of people get evacuated to a local school? Yeah, just like that. UK rules are that leaders and young people have separate sleeping areas. That is not, apparently, the spanish way. Fun, looking back at it, but at the time...

Careful....you will end up with a YPT time out imposed upon you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Careful....you will end up with a YPT time out imposed upon you

You'll have to extradite me first! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Careful....you will end up with a YPT time out imposed upon you

At World Jamboree, we had several conversations with leaders about "Safe from Harm" (YP by another name). One SM -- from a country particularly notorious about following rules -- asked our troop's SM and I, "We've already been away from home for two weeks. What if my scout needs a hug?"

We leaned in, as if we were wearing trench coats and selling stolen watches, and said, "Hug the scout!"

We had another issue about bad behavior in one of the youth shower houses, because adults were not "allowed" to enter them. One of the leaders ask me how to we could possibly address it. We made up a plan on the spot that we would pound on the walls and say, "Everybody out! Camp emergency!" Then we would go in and check for vandalism. Never had to implement it ... but the relief on his face when he knew that we were willing to work around the rules to help him was priceless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Hammocks is the answer, hammocks.  Now I guess if Scouts groups together in hammock pods and they are more than 2 years apart the YPT zealots may raise an alarm.

While we're at it, don't forget staying on museum ships.  You have Scouts of all ages bunking right beside each other and adults all in the same area.  Horrors

OK, question on this.   We are camping on a beach in the summer.  Has anyone built a hammock stand by making a pioneering project?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

OK, question on this.   We are camping on a beach in the summer.  Has anyone built a hammock stand by making a pioneering project?  

We have tried several homemade ones, but have not found one portable enough.  We did build one with some tripods, but the Scouts ask (and good question) "We used all this wood that was from these trees, why not just hook up to the trees like we always do?"

There are several commercial ones

Youtube has some really poor made videos.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×