There used to be this ad in the Wall Street Journal

The ad was for a Lear Jet and it went something like this:

Four states

Three closings

One merger

and now one little league game.

As I spent 6 hours in soccer sign-up for the second saturday this month. Then more hours contacting coaches about practice times and schedules. As I prepare for my up coming den season, my wife's girl scout meetings have already started.

That little league game that Mr Lear Jet is going to is coached my someone else. Someone he doesn't know. That League is run entirely by volunteers and someone else likley took Jr to the game. Mr L. Jet waved to him in-between cell phone calls.

Why does that Lear jet image bother me? Am I jealous?

Don't be jealous. That fool in a Lear Jet is missing so much by not taking time to share time with his child.

The youngest pusk turned 18 a week and a half ago. I always chose jobs that allowed me to share time in scouts with my two sons and daughter. As I watched them grow to responsible adults and good citizens, I knew I did not make a mistake.

When considering that life has no known end point and is short at best and it is a given that children are life's only real value and if you understand that, then the feeling you have is nausea.

Jealousy is rooted in envy.

FB

Benjamin Franklin had some very interesting thoughts about wealth and avarice. After a certain point in accumulating wealth, Franklin felt that it should be distributed (by the owner) for the betterment of society.

The wealthy in this country who use their wealth this way get it. Those who just want more for the sake of accumulating it, don't.

A very wealthy friend of mine just built a 12,000 square foot home for himself and his wife. All the children are grown. I have been trying to get him to make a contribution to our Council endowment for several years with no success. (It is a very nice house.)

One thing that I am jealous of is the fact that if I had that kind of money then my wife and I would have stayed home and spend a lot of time as a family doing everything that we have always wanted to do. (Snapping out of dream world and back to reality) Fortunately, we both have to work full time and have great jobs that allow us to spend a lot of time with the boys alternately, but a lot of time nevertheless. For that, I wouldn't trade anything in the world for it.

1Hour (and counting)

My wife stays home with the kids and I work for a middle income salary. Nobody has told me that they are jealous. I think it is because their sights are on such little things of importance. Yet, I have a feeling of worth that is so far beyond money that words can't describe it.

FB

FAMILY,

Are you aware that if we died tomorrow, the company

that we are working for could easily replace us in a

matter of

days.

But the family we left behind will feel the loss for

the rest of

their lives.

And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into

work than into

our own family,

an unwise investment indeed, don't you think? So

what is behind the

story?

Do you know what the word FAMILY means?

FAMILY = (F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER (I) (L)OVE (Y)OU

courtesy - Unknown

Ever consider the possibility that the guy with the Lear Jet has it all - tons of time with the family, tons of wealth, and a generous heart to boot Im just saying a Lear jet is not a telltale sign of family neglect or selfish ambition. It is what it is - an expensive jet. The owner doesnt have to be some cad who trades his family for wealth.

But to be clear, given the choice between wealth and my family - I'd take my family every time.

He was a loving father, a man that spent time with his family, and was beloved by all that knew him. He was so much more than just a man with a Lear jet.

How many times have we heard those immortal words at funerals? Let me count...

FB

Before you give me that number, tell me how many men with Lear jets do you know personally - well enough to attend their funeral? I know plenty of poor slobs who wouldn't be recognizable by that eulogy even if you threw in the Lear jet for free. If you ask me, while the ad doesn't impress me - this thread does seem to have the taint of jealously all over it.

I saw the Lear Jet ad in Forbes magazine. What struck me was that the guy ranked his kid's little league game on the same level as a merger, 3 closings, and four states. He could just as easily spent another day on the road and skipped the game, but no, he decides to Lear Jet all the way home to be with his kid.