Parents, Non-registered and YP awareness

13 minutes ago, elitts said:

The way I always explained this to parents when I was Cubmaster was:

On any council or pack camp-out, every scout (past tiger) must have a parent or guardian along who is responsible specifically for them.  If the child's actual parent or guardian can not attend, they can be placed in the care of some other parent or guardian, but at all times there must be some adult along who is specifically responsible for them.   So your scout can be here with mom or dad, or they can be here with Timmy's mom or dad, but they can not just be dropped off for "whoever" (Cubmaster) to take care of.

Correct.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll happily take a few more down votes from you, they are just internet points. You didn't answer my question. Do you care to address it? Let's first establish that as a registered leader, if the Sco

it doesn't depend on where the event is being held.  It does depend on whether it is a scouting event.  Every Chartering Organization agrees to "Conduct the Scouting program consistent with BSA rules,

I don't believe the 72 hours is cumulative over the scouting year, rather, it's per event.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, Pale Horse said:

NO.  BSA rules do not require a parent or guardian unless the Scout is a Tiger or Lion.  Refer to Guide to Safe Scouting which @T2Eagle quoted above.  Councils are able to set their own requirements at Council Events, but that is not a BSA rule and cannot be enforced at non-council events.

Age Guidelines 

The Boy Scouts of America has established the following guidelines for its members’ participation in camping activities:

• Overnight camping by Lion, Tiger, Wolf, or Bear Cub Scouts as dens is prohibited. Webelos dens may participate in overnight camping.
  • Lions, with their adult partner, may participate in child-parent excursions, pack overnighters, and council-organized family camping.
  • Tigers, with their adult partner, may participate in child-parent excursions, day camps, pack overnighters, council-organized family camping, or resident camping.
  • Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may participate in a resident overnight camping program operating under BSA National Camping School–trained leadership and managed by the council.
  • Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the youth on approved trips.
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Age Guidelines 

The Boy Scouts of America has established the following guidelines for its members’ participation in camping activities:

• Overnight camping by Lion, Tiger, Wolf, or Bear Cub Scouts as dens is prohibited. Webelos dens may participate in overnight camping.
  • Lions, with their adult partner, may participate in child-parent excursions, pack overnighters, and council-organized family camping.
  • Tigers, with their adult partner, may participate in child-parent excursions, day camps, pack overnighters, council-organized family camping, or resident camping.
  • Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may participate in a resident overnight camping program operating under BSA National Camping School–trained leadership and managed by the council.
  • Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the youth on approved trips.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 

If you think that quote is requiring all parents to attend camping activities, you should keep reading: both the next couple paragraphs of GTSS and the rest of this thread which clear up any confusion.

Edited by Pale Horse
2 hours ago, Pale Horse said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 

If you think that quote is requiring all parents to attend camping activities, you should keep reading: both the next couple paragraphs of GTSS and the rest of this thread which clear up any confusion.

I think it means no more than it says.  if you believe I have quoted out of context, by all means supply the context rather than your opinion.  

This thread, including any opinions I might post,  is not the official "word" of BSA.

8 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

I think it means no more than it says.  if you believe I have quoted out of context, by all means supply the context rather than your opinion.  

This thread, including any opinions I might post,  is not the official "word" of BSA.

Refer to my post from 1/23/19 @ 6:04a.m. in which I supplied the relevant information from GTSS.

I realize your opinion is not the "official word of BSA" which is why I supplied the information to correct your incorrect opinion.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, TAHAWK said:

By pasting the section of the GSS along with a quote from another user, the implication is that the pasted material either answers a question and provides data, confirms the post or rebuts it.  Since the comment you quoted wasn't a question looking for an answer and there isn't any question as to what the acutal wording of the guide is, logic then indicates  that you were either confirming their statement or rebutting it.  PaleHorse was asking which it was.

To be honest, I've seen you do the same thing in other threads as well, as though somehow simply posting the text of the guideline should answer all the questions; when in fact the actual meaning and intent of many "official" BSA guidelines, rules and publications are vague and easily open to differing interpretations.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:36 PM, elitts said:

By pasting the section of the GSS along with a quote from another user, the implication is that the pasted material either answers a question and provides data, confirms the post or rebuts it.  Since the comment you quoted wasn't a question looking for an answer and there isn't any question as to what the acutal wording of the guide is, logic then indicates  that you were either confirming their statement or rebutting it.  PaleHorse was asking which it was.

To be honest, I've seen you do the same thing in other threads as well, as though somehow simply posting the text of the guideline should answer all the questions; when in fact the actual meaning and intent of many "official" BSA guidelines, rules and publications are vague and easily open to differing interpretations.

As I have observed many times over the years.  Trying to get "official" explanations is usually frustrating, leaving us  the interpretation that seems best and the insight  of others - here and elsewhere in Scouting.  No God-like arbiters of all things Scouting - just people doing the best they can.  I like to start with the rules, however vague.  Respectfully , the binary choice of "confirm" or "rebut" is often a false dichotomy.

8 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Respectfully , the binary choice of "confirm" or "rebut" is often a false dichotomy.

I suppose it's possible for someone to have some third or fourth meaning in mind when they past text after quoting someone.  Just like it's possible that the guy walking backwards along the side of the road pointing his thumb out behind him is actually trying to be helpful and let everyone know which direction they are supposed to be traveling.  However, that's not the way anyone is going to interpret his actions without some sort of explanation.