Use to think that those backpacker coffee presses were for yuppies, and greenhorn...well (head hung low, eyes askance, swinging foot a wee bit), I was wrong.

Got a small one from Campmor - now I suffer every morning on the trail with great coffee, and one pot dedicate to boiling water only.

Well, all that I can say is that this old dog has learned a new trick...

My Son,

you are absolved of your sin,

but first say 25 hail Sankas,

You may now look the others in the eye without regret or remorse.

Thank you for your confession.

(*your credit card is now being charged for this sacred interlude. Angels sing quietly in the background.)

Go forth and drink good coffee but say no more of bad yuppie beverage or eating habits. It will cost you much more to do so.

FB

LeVoyaguer,

Welcome to the club true the press takes up some room in the pack but the coffee tastes sooo good. I even have the coffee drinking scouts in the troop trained in its use and to provide the scoutmaster a cup first thing in the am.

Phil

I've got an old-style two stage drip pot, the kind where you put the coffee in the middle and pour hot water into the top stage. If you're quick, you can boil the water in the bottom stage, pour it into the top and quickly put it all back together without loosing too much water or coffee.

Slightly different question: Does anyone know the trick to making the old style percolator work? I have one that heats the water, but nothing perks to the top. Is there some trick to sealing the base of the stem to the bottom of the pot to get it to work?

I gotta admit, I trade quality for convenience WRT coffee in the wild. Mrs. KS gets me these packets of coffee mix from the asian market. They're cylindrical and hold coffee, cream, and sugar for one cup. The empty cylinder, if you hold it right, can stir the whole mess in your cup after you pour the water in. Tastes great (considering) and comes in flavors, too.

KS

For summer camp, I always bring an expresso pot and frother. Both are stove top versions. What can I say? I like my cappucino. With my Finnish upbringing I take great joy in the number of scouts asking if I would be willing to whip them up a foo-foo coffee. I am a true yuppie scouter except for the young and the urban part ;^)

I have been using a coffee press at camp for years. I normally make a few pots and put them in an air-pot if it is a standing camp.

I spent sometime in Scandinavia,sending time in Norway, Sweden and Finland,while the coffee was good I was never offered an espresso or a cappuccino.In France and in Italy it was a different story.

There is some debate which is the best beverage?Some foolhardy souls have come up with a Beeruccino!! I bet that the bear in the other thread wouldn't go near that one.

Eamonn.

The Bear's Confession:

I gave up the real stuff years ago. I now only drink a daily decaf.

My wife works part-time at Starbucks and she will make me an occasional decaf Breve with almond extract and one third foam with whipped cream and little vanilla sprinkles on top.

I am so ashamed!

FB

Well Fuzzy,

Looks like I'm not the only one coming out of the closet...;):)

However, if I don't watch this bit of yuppiefacation I'm going through, it won't be long before I'll be setting a formal table in the backcountry....now, the big question. When I sip my coffee, should I keep my pinkie raised?? ;)