Sea Base Registration Options

Our troop wants to do Sea Base in 2021. We went in 2018, but the person who did out lottery registration is no longer with the troop.

Our troop only wants to do 1 of the adventures. It looks like you choose a date and prioritize adventures.  It would be nice is you could pick and adventure and prioritize dates.

Is the registration like Philmont where you can start an adventure any day or do adventures always start on the same day?

If we don't get the specific adventure, we'll choose something else to do that year.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Out Island Adventure.  We did the big sailboat with 20 people in 2018.  Not enough interest in SCUBA and they don't want to do sailboats a second time.

We do those adventures.

I do not think they start every day, but I may be incorrect.  I thought they started on only a couple of days during the week.  There is limited space on Munson.  Our guys have always enjoyed Seasbase.  They can do a lot of different activities.

We are in the Southeast.  Our crews fly down on SAT, use a tour group for SAT night then to Seabase and start the trek on Sunday, this means the crew stays at base SUN, then on the island MON - THU, back to base on FRI night and fly back SAT

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

We do those adventures.

I do not think they start every day, but I may be incorrect.  I thought they started on only a couple of days during the week.  There is limited space on Munson.  Our guys have always enjoyed Seasbase.  They can do a lot of different activities.

We are in the Southeast.  Our crews fly down on SAT, use a tour group for SAT night then to Seabase and start the trek on Sunday, this means the crew stays at base SUN, then on the island MON - THU, back to base on FRI night and fly back SAT

We had some seasickness (including me), rain every night that forced us all to sleep down below where it was hot, stinky and frankly a youth protection issue.  We had a captain who thought he was a drill sergeant and 2 scouts (no longer in the troop) causing problems.  

Some of those things would not happen again.  Some might.  Some certainly would.  Anyway, it all leads those who would be going again to not want a sailboat adventure.

So if we can't get the island adventure, we'll investigate other 2021 options.  We did Philmont in 2019 and are doing NT in 2020.  Summit isn't one we're considering no matter how much BSA wants to push it on us.  

MOHAB and "roll your own" are some alternates for 2021.

I would call Nancy at Seabase ahead of time and get her help for registering for it.   I think that is a very popular trek so you are reducing your chances but your reasoning makes sense.  

Last year our Ship did a 74 mile canoe trek on the Buffalo river in Arkansas.  It was a great roll your own adventure.  let me know if you are interested in details on that.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, 69RoadRunner said:

We had some seasickness (including me), rain every night that forced us all to sleep down below where it was hot, stinky and frankly a youth protection issue.  We had a captain who thought he was a drill sergeant and 2 scouts (no longer in the troop) causing problems.  

Some of those things would not happen again.  Some might.  Some certainly would.  Anyway, it all leads those who would be going again to not want a sailboat adventure.

So if we can't get the island adventure, we'll investigate other 2021 options.  We did Philmont in 2019 and are doing NT in 2020.  Summit isn't one we're considering no matter how much BSA wants to push it on us.  

MOHAB and "roll your own" are some alternates for 2021.

Not sure of where you are geographically or your local school schedules, our experience has shown that due to our public school schedules (ends before Memorial Day), we have been able to get crew slots late May early June when needed.  You camp so no seasickness at night.  The war canoe out is not bad, same with trip back.  The deep sea fishing day can be rocky and rolly, but it is only for 1 day and can be calm, depending on the wind.

Shark fishing at night is cool, until you realize you are walking back in water you just fished in...gives pause.

Seabase open registration is starting 1/15/2020

3 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

I would call Nancy at Seabase ahead of time and get her help for registering for it.   I think that is a very popular trek so you are reducing your chances but your reasoning makes sense.  

Last year our Ship did a 74 mile canoe trek on the Buffalo river in Arkansas.  It was a great roll your own adventure.  let me know if you are interested in details on that.

Sounds cool.  They might want something different after doing NT or they might like it enough to do more canoeing.  

4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Not sure of where you are geographically or your local school schedules, our experience has shown that due to our public school schedules (ends before Memorial Day), we have been able to get crew slots late May early June when needed.  You camp so no seasickness at night.  The war canoe out is not bad, same with trip back.  The deep sea fishing day can be rocky and rolly, but it is only for 1 day and can be calm, depending on the wind.

Shark fishing at night is cool, until you realize you are walking back in water you just fished in...gives pause.

Seabase open registration is starting 1/15/2020

Our kids don't get out until mid-June.  It used to be worse.

Thanks for the info.  I'm susceptible to motion sickness and don't want another week on a sailboat.

Yeah, that registration date is coming, so trying to be prepared, as the saying goes.

Call the captain at Seabase and ask how to best put in for multiple Big Munson dates.

Most troops have one date for any adventure. That's why the system is set up to pick that first, and troops select as many adventures as they would likely accept on that date. Then, if you "lose" the lottery in the first round, you are contacted about other similar adventures/dates that "winning" troops passed on.

I sort of wish they'd have an instant run-off. As soon as you are registered you get assigned a number. That determines your "draft" order. A low number means you'll likely get your pick. A high one means you have to wait for the low numbers to lock in their choice. The top of the draft has to make their pick of adventure and date in a week. It's a little rough on the troops who get a high number, but at least they know that they should prepare to accept scraps or start looking for a plan B.

2 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Call the captain at Seabase and ask how to best put in for multiple Big Munson dates.

I'll give them a call for strategy advice.  With Philmont, we had a list of acceptable dates and that's what you put in.  We got our first choice.

We got 2 slots for our preferred date for Out Island Adventure.  Two of us were trying this morning and their web site couldn't handle the traffic.  We'd get so far, then Internal Server Error.  After about 10-15 minutes, the other guy got through and registered.

For anyone who comes across this post, here is how registration works.

1. it's like buying concert tickets. Keep clicking the link starting just before 9.  You're competing against other troops at the same time. if you can, get multiple people trying, but be on the phone with each other.  Everyone keep trying until 1 person gets ALL the way through registration.  Obviously everyone else stop so you're not paying for a slot you don't need.

2. Next page is just info about registration.

3. Next page, you pick your adventure from a drop down.

4. Next page has a list of dates with check boxes. If there are multiple slots for the same date available, check a box for each crew you want to take.

5. Next page is where you fill out your info (name, council, district BSA ID, etc.) and continue on to deposit payment of $250 per crew.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

We got 2 slots for our preferred date for Out Island Adventure.  Two of us were trying this morning and their web site couldn't handle the traffic.  We'd get so far, then Internal Server Error.  After about 10-15 minutes, the other guy got through and registered.

For anyone who comes across this post, here is how registration works.

1. it's like buying concert tickets. Keep clicking the link starting just before 9.  You're competing against other troops at the same time. if you can, get multiple people trying, but be on the phone with each other.  Everyone keep trying until 1 person gets ALL the way through registration.  Obviously everyone else stop so you're not paying for a slot you don't need.

2. Next page is just info about registration.

3. Next page, you pick your adventure from a drop down.

4. Next page has a list of dates with check boxes. If there are multiple slots for the same date available, check a box for each crew you want to take.

5. Next page is where you fill out your info (name, council, district BSA ID, etc.) and continue on to deposit payment of $250 per crew.

Signed on about 11:00 am (EST) and it was no errors or waiting.  Guess the tide (Seabase joke there) of inquiries had passed.

We signed up for 2 Out Island crews in late May, that has worked for us over the last 12 - 14 years.  New for this year was the deposit right now, past years I recall we have 30 days or so to send in money.  They did take CC, so not an issue

Got a prompt e-mail confirmation, now to sign up Scouts for the adventure

• Upvote 1