Regarding the Interpreter Strip:

We have found general requirements for qualifying for the Interpreter Strip.

Question is does there have to be a "qualified counselor" to evaluate the qualification of the person trying to get the Interpreter Strip? Are there specifica BSA requirements or a form to document this?

Thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is one of those areas in Scouting where a tendancy to make things more difficult than they need to be manifests itself.

Unlike merit badges, badges of rank, etc., there is no form to fill out and no counselor required.

There is an inherent "safety" to make sure the interpreter strip has been well and truly earned.

The wearer of an interpreter strip is advertising to the world that he/she has proficiency in a language. They should be prepared to converse in that language at any time they wear the uniform.

If you're wearing a strip over your pocket that says "Duetch," you'd better be prepared to have a conversation in German.

Just something to think about.

Unc.

The requirements are found in the back of the Boy Scout Requirements book.

1. Carry on a five-minute converstion in the language.

2. Translate a two-minute speech or address.

3. Write a letter in the language.

4. Translate 200 words from the written word.

Sign language is considered a language; requirement 3 does not apply.

• 3 years later...

FScouter - I know the requirements (I have a 2008 advancement book). However, I'm not qualified to judge if these requirements are met.

So, I'm going to guess by the previous posts that I can use my "scoutmaster" judgment and purchase the strip for a Scout I feel is qualified?

Recently I had this same conversation with a couple of adults around here and came away cringing. The opinion of the other adults was that a kid who could ask for and answer the question "where's the bathroom?" probably met the standard. Which reminded me of this experience:

I will never, ever forget the time that I applied for a big prestigious fellowship to study in Germany. One of the requirements was academic and professional proficiency in German. I felt competent, having had 4 years of high school German and (at that point) 2 years of college German, always with excellent grades. I walked into the room and discovered that the interview - all of it - would be conducted in German. This was a surprise and it very quickly became apparent that classroom German and "real world" German were not the same beast and that I had a long way to go toward true proficiency. Needless to say I didn't get the fellowship and I felt like an idiot.

Of course the stakes are lower for the BSA interpreter strip, but still I would not want to see someone else set up like that - it was mortifying.

So, I think it would be a good idea to go over the written requirements with the scout and ask him if he feels he qualifies. He will probably have a far better sense of his abilities and inabilities in that language, than you would if you do not speak it. If he is not sure, suggest to him that he take the written requirements to someone who does speak the language well, and talk to them about it and then report back to you. Scout's honor.

(But if you're looking for a general rule of thumb, in most cases I think I would be unwilling to believe that anyone who had less than 2 years of high school language qualifies - and even then, I think it is improbable that they could handle themselves for 5 unscripted minutes, unless they've spent some time truly immersed in the language on a day-to-day basis.)

Pretty vague requirements. We looked at the Interpreter requirements long ago, rolled our eyes, and all wondered if our scouts could even qualify for the "English" strip? I think more specifics should be added to reflect likely conversations among scouts from different countries at a Jamboree - "Do you want to trade patches?", "Where is the nearest latrine?", "Is that miles or kilometers?", "Do you have girls in your unit?" ...

Today, I suspect our scouts could earn ,if it exists, "TEXT MESSAGE" or is that "WU?" (What's up?).

I wonder if there were "igPay atinLay" or "Kookie Talk" strips?

Yes, there is an "Igpay Atinlay" strip, as well as "computerese", "Brooklynese", etc. Check eBay. (all unofficial, of course)

I once heard a futurist speak at a conference I was attending. He said we are allowing our kids to waste their time studying French, Spanish, German, Latin, etc. In a few short years, most of the world will be speaking either Arabic or Mandarin Chinese.

Had to laugh at that last bit scoutldr. My son is studying a language spoken by about half a billion people worldwide, no small matter. None the less, one of his former teachers asked me the other day why I had "allowed" him to pick such an obscure language (it isn't any of the ones you listed). Hmm...

But I disagree with the premise that studying any language is a waste of time. Any time you learn another language you learn all sorts of other ways to think about things and relationships, too. And I learned most of what I know about the rules of English grammar from studying other languages because, goodness knows, we don't actually teach English grammar in our schools.

I have an idea that may make it easier for those of us who can't speak anything but American....

Give a strip to any scout who has a parent who speaks a language and can attest to the scouts abilities. Give a strip to a scout with a certain number of years of high school language. You could have his teacher sign off on the requirement.

I have a melting pot Troop and after reading this I think I will see which boys would quality. Several are bilingual in Spanish, Vietnamese, etc..

"FScouter - I know the requirements (I have a 2008 advancement book). However, I'm not qualified to judge if these requirements are met.

So, I'm going to guess by the previous posts that I can use my "scoutmaster" judgment and purchase the strip for a Scout I feel is qualified? "

I would think a more appropriate decision to make since you realize that you are not qualified to judge the scout would be for you to find someone is is qualified. Teach them the requirements and how to test them and have them determine of the scout has the need skill level.

The scout asked about the signing interpreter strip. The only other individuals I know who are qualified are his parents and he has stated that he can sign better than they can. I guess I can inquire at a school.

Bobwhite, while yours is a good suggestion, bottom line is still the same - the award is based on my judgment, correct?(This message has been edited by acco40)

Bobwhite, while yours is a good suggestion, bottom line is still the same - the award is based on my judgment, correct?

No, not in the least. First, it is not an award is is a designation that can be worn by any youth or adult who meets the requirements.

Secondly, it is soley dependent on the individuals ability to meet the requirements, not on the approval of a scoutmaster.

If you are not capable of testing him then it would stand to reason that you certainly cannot certify that he can meet the requirements.

I think finding someone who is fluent in sign language to do the certifying makes perfect sense don't you?