1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

How does an institution deal with a transition like this? 

Last month, a survey was published that indicated that only a third of Catholics believe in a key point of Catholic faith.  Local surveys conducted at our parish/school have given a similar result.  It appears to be true.

Some institutions do not offer an opportunity for either schism or transition.  Individuals may choose to stay or go.  The institution doesn't need to change its beliefs to accommodate them. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, David CO said:

Last month, a survey was published that indicated that only a third of Catholics believe in a key point of Catholic faith.  Local surveys conducted at our parish/school have given a similar result.  It appears to be true.

Some institutions do not offer an opportunity for either schism or transition.  Individuals may choose to stay or go.  The institution doesn't need to change its beliefs to accommodate them. 

Very good point.  Given my Catholic roots I see a lot of value in this concept. 

The challenge in the Methodist church is that there's a sort of democratic character to the religion.  There isn't a strong hierarchy like there is in the Catholic church led by a singular leader.  As such, they all get together and vote on things.  I get the sense that since these rules are decided by committees it's a little different than many are accustomed to in a religion.  People are well aware that the decisions like whether a church can perform same sex marriage are driven by who is in the meeting more than it is by some deep analysis of faith.  It's the literal definition of church politics.

What this had led to practically in the Methodist church is that you've now got whole churches which are skirting the rules and in some cases discussing breaking with those that disagree on this topic.  On this topic, there is a group within the Methodist Church which is called the Reconciling Ministries Network (https://rmnetwork.org).  Today churches label themselves as a reconciling church.  If you want to worship in a church that is supportive of LGBTQ issues, you can to their website and find a local reconciling church.

Edited by ParkMan

There are many plans floating around from many groups.  No one can be sure what will happen until July with the vote.

The move to change the UMC is coming from some in the USA, while the rest of the world, especially Africa, wants no changes.

One of the proposals mentioned would let each conference decide.  If that happens, then you will see a split in the UMC.  That could get messy.   

Tag this a Faaaaith and Chaaaaaplaincy issue, eh?   

There is at least one fair sized church nearby that was named  the "XYZ United Methodist Church",  long history in the community,  charters a very well known and active Scout Pack and Troop . Only a few years ago, the signs quietly changed to read  "The XYZ Church" . Still Scout friendly.....

Edited by SSScout
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess everyone knows I am a Cub leader, but I am also on the Troop Committee.   Anyway, at the Committee Meeting tonight the COR made the upcoming vote known to the rest of the Committee.  The topic turned quickly to hypothetical what ifs and who owns what.  There are a few on the Committee that I guess are unaware that the CO really owns all the "stuff", we really don't have anything.  There was also talk IF our CO was on the side of not allowing gays, how would that work with the policy on gays in the BSA.  Would the CO decide not to continue as our CO.  The discussion went further on....  IF our CO were to split and no longer the First United Methodist Church of....  and they take on the new name whatever it might be.  What does that do to the original charter?  Since they are no longer the organization in the original charter do they get to keep the stuff or do we get to keep the stuff? 

I know its all hypothetical and it would seem like PR suicide to take the "stuff" from local youth organization, but it kept them busy for 10 - 15 minutes.

The Charter org would be the same church with potentially a different name.  If the Church decides to no longer be the charter org then they could keep everything but I doubt that they would do that and would be willing to transfer it to a new charter org for the pack/troop.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

The Charter org would be the same church with potentially a different name.  If the Church decides to no longer be the charter org then they could keep everything but I doubt that they would do that and would be willing to transfer it to a new charter org for the pack/troop.

I'm of the same belief as @mashmaster.  Fun what if's to ponder.  But, really - in reality it will all work out and be pretty boring.