January Pack Meeting Ideas

About now is pine-wood derby building season. So find some older scouts who made some nice cars. Bring in a local athlete or coach to talk about sportsmanship. A race car driver would be optimal (even better with car).

17 minutes ago, qwazse said:

About now is pine-wood derby building season. So find some older scouts who made some nice cars. Bring in a local athlete or coach to talk about sportsmanship. A race car driver would be optimal (even better with car).

Our ACM and I did a skit of Pinewood Derby Building Techniques Scouts Shouldn't Use. It was all in fun. I can't remember most of the techniques, but one was using a chainsaw. I revved the chainsaw behind a curtain while the ACM throw sawdust up in the air. :D

Cub Mastering was a great outlet of my inner child. I missed those days. :)

As for January, we typically did a fun AOL ceremony. Which saved us from having to do it at the Blue and Gold.

Barry

• Like 1

Paper Airplane Derby is an easy one that we do around this time of year. Grab a stack of paper, come up with some basic rules and awards, and have fun! 

Categories for awards: Longest distance flight, highest flight, best trick, most creative airplane design. 

Tallest towerSpaghetti, marshmallows/jelly babies. Or 20 sheets of paper and sticky tape.

Strongest bridge: Dried pasta lasagna sheets and cannelloni, sticky tape.

Lego building communication game: Instructions at one end of the den, pieces at the other, one cub is builder, the rest of the cubs relay instructions to them.

Jambowlree: Go ten pin bowling with them. Take part in an international competition (http://www.jambowlree.org)

Since winter in Michigan can be tricky, we used to schedule a swim night at our local rec center in place of our January pack night.  This was a family event and this got kids and families out of the house doing something together.  The pack would pay for the registered youth to attend.  Often we invited a local troop to attend with us and had one of their leaders work with our kids on swimming requirements.

ccjj

Cold weather might be a good motivator for one of those myriad "sleep over" events, like a Night at the Museum (if your local museum offers such things).  In our area, there are multiple opportunities, including a zoo sleepover, a sleepover on a de-commissioned aircraft carrier, etc.