Cooking Contest

Today was University of Scouting in my Council.  I took two outdoor cooking classes and one of those talked a good bit about their box oven.  We then had a sample of the goods.  I know Tigers and especially Lions do not have any sort of cooking requirement, but...

A Pack contest where each den builds a box oven.  (covers the inside with foil, tapes the cracks up, figures out how to work their racks inside), then each den assembles a pizza to cook in their oven.  Is there any reason why the Lions and Tigers can not participate in this?

• Upvote 3
23 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Is there any reason why the Lions and Tigers can not participate in this?

Only thing I can think of is someone not setting it up for them. <hint>

Personally, I think the requirements should be a second thought to such a great idea. How cool for a tiger or lion to cook a pizza they made in an oven they made that runs off the sun. That is pure gold. Forget the requirements. As you find more great ideas please post them along with resources others can learn from and let us know how they went.

Although I agree with RB that 5 and 6 year olds should not be cooking on their own, if there are adults closely supervising lions and tigers (e.g., cutting and slicing ingredients, etc ...), they would be well within the spirit of the G2SS.

2 hours ago, RichardB said:

50 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Although I agree with RB that 5 and 6 year olds should not be cooking on their own, if there are adults closely supervising lions and tigers (e.g., cutting and slicing ingredients, etc ...), they would be well within the spirit of the G2SS.

This project is going to be 96% lining the box with foil and taping the outside of the box with foil tape.  :)

As far as the pizza goes, the most dangerous part will be opening the biscuit can that the pizza crust comes in ;) .  After that its just spreading the sauce, putting on the pepperoni slices or whatever they want and then sprinkling with cheese.  I am not even sure a knife will be necessary.

In all seriousness, the DL will place the charcoal in the oven and place the pizza pan for it to cook.  And that step I think would be appropriate for all dens up to Bear anyway.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, MattR said:

Only thing I can think of is someone not setting it up for them. <hint>

Personally, I think the requirements should be a second thought to such a great idea. How cool for a tiger or lion to cook a pizza they made in an oven they made that runs off the sun. That is pure gold. Forget the requirements. As you find more great ideas please post them along with resources others can learn from and let us know how they went.

Yeah, after thinking about it a bit I decided not to worry too much about the requirements.  After we talked about it yesterday with all the leaders it was decided to do this on a campout next month as an afternoon activity.

And to clarify... this oven works with charcoal and not solar.

Cr2mdVQ-fgmCZEkLyXSIQgqw71yiAi2uyvjkVt2PP7o4cCYk8fJzon5ZTZD5FpHuGm27Y1Bb9kXAWnvwIlnlzHIevMsmZ4mLSI6QqMJm4Hb0F3DC_qPaZvteL6BN5mpbtZEiF5n5xaPVJPt5xJaM-AfECY3S8BDK720kaGzvmjrGR_MlYCUjVz4fr9PSdDqWrtYMYpb8jImB95B_VLnaSSdb3dKRwQF8SlKfM384Vvq3zpauESST_R5svo-KkiIRvK44kbrDaqa_vHADsYV4pij9C_tUU0f5hEHMUB7TPn9vzVpTGZskfWu7Jk25A7jWtIQsxXxOLK7YYjQV7dji7MkgKWhYkWV3jD-IqCfW8HgAn9uzUznTGk-IKrIHOLdsHVqJ0CdPVdIKOQoOod8_xCrkTqt1HDlHokyIpIcaDriUPOrHv1afd47Xe8jbQcTYSXzIxAZydOnr_KzwD69qlr6SxsRRY5k4HZz9Li9X2aIIBx8rTd32yMQUHIgAdWamr74odYEI5nH3hg0QRDUYsWVVa_Z0OKZdbAxQv9wXN6v2ZSjb6hnX3YCpNZsRiG705gm--KUF_WyGnLBf11H6WS15QeIV6DQ6Aoc5X45B0E-9gqJ7t4oBZTVR5LMKF6ec2lQcrF-kTt4cCHtIgVD00kgJFq7xFlKvFHn4O2WFWXFFMijoqGLwNJIC=w1314-h657-no

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1