Advice for a Camp Health Officer?

1 hour ago, Troop185 said:

We had some M & M's that did not have the M & M's marked on them.  We kept them in a glass jar for H-Virus (homesickness).  It seem to help them, if they had a pill to take.

Our protocols even state to use candy (last year we used lollipops) as a placebo for HS+ kids. Haha

1 hour ago, IndyScouter said:

Congratulations!  I would read your friends recommendations and get comfortable with your council physicians orders for various treatments. I bet 75 to 80 % of the injuries are solved with a simple band aid and some comforting words.  Not a bad idea to also have a health care officer backup person.  It seems like injuries to campers always came in pairs and usually they were in opposite ends of the camp.  The back up person can be trained in simple first aid so they can take of any simple problems while you take care of any major first aid cases.   We even had a golf cart dedicated for the first aid officer and a portable first aid kit with a bucket containing bottle of bleach and gloves waiting at the door to respond quickly to camp injuries that should not be moved until someone evaluated their condition.  Make sure you train your staff on your expectations too.  They can be very helpful at clearing spectators from the injury site while you arrive and tend to the injury.  

I don't envy your position this year with all the virus concerns.  I do hope the virus situation will improve in time for the camp season.  You might have to include new procedures from the physician about this issue that way if any parents ask you can say you have a plan in place.

Good luck and let me know how your summer went. 😁

Thanks! Our camp isn’t super huge, I’ll be the only health officer for the camp. We see around 300 youth and adults a week. There isn’t any major accidents that happen, so that’s pretty good. I wish I had a golf cart or something!

Our protocols are so basic, so I’ll have no problem with that. EMS is less than 10 mins away.

Edited by ItsBrian
5 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Our protocols even state to use candy (last year we used lollipops) as a placebo for HS+ kids. Haha

Really!  That is cool.  Might want to make me drop by and see the first aid office.  You know... just to make sure I was fully cured. 😁

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, IndyScouter said:

Hey ItsBrian,

Did you ever get to camp this summer? 

Unfortunately, the entire summer was canceled. I do ride on a volunteer rescue squad and currently in a EMT program to be nationally certified, so I am staying active in healthcare.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you will get another chance in the future.  Thanks for working on the front lines...not an easy job ever but more so this year. Good luck with the certification.   I pray you stay safe and healthy.  

• Thanks 1
On 7/29/2020 at 11:09 PM, ItsBrian said:

I do ride on a volunteer rescue squad and currently in a EMT program to be nationally certified, so I am staying active in healthcare.

Sounds like a Venture Crew or Explorer Post to me....   Make it happen !  Even by ZOOM....

5 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Sounds like a Venture Crew or Explorer Post to me....   Make it happen !  Even by ZOOM....

I unfortunately will be moving into college (out of state) in August. I actually don’t even think there are any posts or crews around my area, which is interesting.

Edited by ItsBrian
43 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I unfortunately will be moving into college (out of state) in August. I actually don’t even think there are any posts or crews around my area, which is interesting.

Brian, just curious, will your college or its home state require you to produce a recent negative covid-19 test and/or quarantine for 14 days on campus?

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Brian, just curious, will your college or its home state require you to produce a recent negative covid-19 test and/or quarantine for 14 days on campus?

I’m going to a state next to mine, where there is no quarantine period for my state. Every student has to produce a negative test before returning to campus though. I believe one of the residence halls is now the “quarantine dorm.” It’s a small college, so that is why they’re able to open without problems. 

• Upvote 1