MattR

Setting the tone with a new CSE

Just seems to me that a part of the problem is that the DE role is ill defined.  When they have to work 60 hours a week just to keep up, that's not good.  Our council seems to want to treat the DE as a jack of all trades.  Chasing money, membership, new units, supporting existing units, supporting the district committee, etc.  I'd suggest the BSA figure out a job model that can be done in about 30-35 hours a week.  Then, that gives the DE some breathing room to focus on new things that matter.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:26 AM, skeptic said:

Where was the breakfast; I am always up for that.  Do I need a red coat?  Have one "official" and two event lights.

Oldscout and I turns out we were sort of neighbors.  Met at a local place, Dempsey's, to get acquainted.   Coffee and peach cobbler is always good. Scouty stuff makes it easy to recognize a brother Scouter. 

Cautionary tale:   Before I retired from County Gov service, I met and was inspired by a man who I will call "Dave".  Dave was in charge of planning and was the go to fellow for just about everything. What he said got done, what he signed off on was Okay,  He negotiated contracts with private entities, oversaw mapping of routes and was not above calling folks "out in the field" to get eyeball information and opinions. He had a staff of three, and they were kept busy. 

When he retired,  TPTB  revamped his section, added THREE section heads, maybe 8 more staff, and totally redefined who did what when.    Made things a lot harder to get things corrected or done.  It became hard to find who was responsible for what duty or project.  I came away thinking it was because we had just had a new Department Head named, and he felt somehow jealous of Dave's  respect and personal assumed responsibility .