Setting the tone with a new CSE

The titles of President and CEO sound a lot more businesslike than Chief Scout Executive.  Coming from a business background, he probably just prefers that title.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see title changes for everyone else, too.  I have always thought it very odd that we call the lowest paid, least experienced, entry level positions "District Executive".  We all know they're not executives.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a new CSE. Not only that but he's been a volunteer for a long time and has worked outside of the BSA. This is different in a very hopeful way. Maybe we have an opportunity to be a part of

It is not  enough that they preside over steady failure? OK 1. I believe that good unit-level program, and nothing else, attracts youth customers for BSA and for Scouting.  BSA seems to focu

Ibuprofen and energy drinks 

13 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

RS, excellent point.  Here's my hunch.  Mr. Mosby graciously declined the CSE title to help assuage the hurt feelings that are no doubt percolating through the "commissioned BSA professional" corps as we speak.  Some gold loopers knew it was potentially "their turn" to be in the running for the CSE job.  Not only were they passed over, their whole world is about to change.

Could be. If so, a good start on changing that culture would have been an outsider becoming CSE. 

IMHO, of the Key Three, only the National Commissioner need come from commissioned ranks. 

My understanding, members please correct, of the United Kingdom Scout Association Key Three (if they use that term):

Chief Scout: Bear Grylls, an outsider with military, outdoor, media, and business experience

Chief Executive: Matt Hyde , an outsider with organizational management experience

Chief Commissioner: Tim Kidd,  commissioner experience, works in IT

My $0.01

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, dkurtenbach said:

This statement in the article caught my eye:  "Unlike his predecessors at the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Mosby’s title is not Chief Scout Executive. That title is reserved for commissioned BSA professionals — that is, full-time employees of the BSA who have undergone the required amount of training."  (Emphasis added.)

So, are they suggesting he is untrained or under-trained?  Or that he's not worthy to bear the "reserved" title of Chief Scout Executive?

Imagine being a fresh out of college 21 year old and taking basic training with the CEO of the company you now work for. 

Fun Fact: DE's don't actually get the official title "District Executive" until you've completed Basic Training/Commissioning  

Edited by carebear3895
13 minutes ago, PACAN said:

I could really care less what his title is.   Some historians thought James West title was dictator. 😀

Seems like the interview is all softball questions.    JMHO.

Ironically, I see history repeating itself here. The second CSE, Elbert Fretwell, also came from outside of the Profession. That was done purposely as the board didn't want a prior Professional, or "West Man" to become the CSE. 

Edited by carebear3895
  • Upvote 2
21 hours ago, PACAN said:

I could really care less what his title is.   Some historians thought James West title was dictator. 😀

Seems like the interview is all softball questions.    JMHO.

IMHO, our new President and CEO should tear down the walls, login, and respond directly to the comments (11 as I write ) in that article.  That would be a good change.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Rumor mill has been running wild about bankruptcy announcement later this month. Maybe that's why.  

That's what I keep hearing too. That, in conjunction with the number of recent "retirements" from the National Office makes me think some big news is on the horizon. 

On 1/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, RememberSchiff said:

My understanding, members please correct, of the United Kingdom Scout Association Key Three (if they use that term):

Chief Scout: Bear Grylls, an outsider with military, outdoor, media, and business experience

Chief Executive: Matt Hyde , an outsider with organizational management experience

Chief Commissioner: Tim Kidd,  commissioner experience, works in IT

My $0.01

I've been called a member a few times so, for info...

We don't use the term key three. Not sure we have that concept at any level, it's certainly not named as such.

I mean, they are the head honchos, you're right in that, though interestingly of the three only Matt Hyde is in a salaried role, the other two are volunteers and only get paid expenses. Bear's role is mostly ceremonial and promotional, glad-handing, dropping in on scout camps, making pronouncements about scouting that the press are less likely to ignore (because it's Bear) etc etc.

Edited by ianwilkins
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

That's what I keep hearing too. That, in conjunction with the number of recent "retirements" from the National Office makes me think some big news is on the horizon. 

While I want to be careful not to misquote anything, we had a long discussion last Saturday with a member of the Executive Committee of the National Board.  The gist of what we were told was to expect us (BSA) to be in the news, possibly by the end of the month, concerning Chapter 11 reorganization. 

Most of us have been expecting this, as the number of states doing away with statutes of limitations on abuse cases that are in some cases half a century or more old, has put the financial future of the BSA in a precarious position.   While we all know of some of the high profile cases and settlements from 5 - 10 years ago, I was shocked to hear how much has been paid out in the last few years.

• Upvote 1

A mark of good leadership is the ability to communicate and inspire even at times of crisis. I am sure Mosby is very busy. I am sure legal advisors would muzzle many of the things he might like to say, but this near total silence over nearly two months is concerning. At the very least, he could talk about something very innocuous, such as some of the scouts he must have met since he took on the role and how they inspire him as he's taking up the reins... anything that would give the organization a sense of getting to know him, give him visibility, and at least create the illusion there is someone competent at the helm. 

• Upvote 3