Setting the tone with a new CSE

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a new CSE. Not only that but he's been a volunteer for a long time and has worked outside of the BSA. This is different in a very hopeful way. Maybe we have an opportunity to be a part of

It is not  enough that they preside over steady failure? OK 1. I believe that good unit-level program, and nothing else, attracts youth customers for BSA and for Scouting.  BSA seems to focu

Ibuprofen and energy drinks 

I attempted to think of various ways this forum can change, but it is difficult to see a way unless Mr. Mosby changes how National listens to volunteers.  I was/am 100% behind the various changes with respect to gays, transgender and girls; however, it was not handled well by National.  I think what we need, to be effective in providing feedback, is more transparency.  There is a ton of unit and district experience on this forum.  When decisions are being made/debated without transparency, we are left guessing and providing opinions on partial info. 

So, if Mr. Mosby brings forth more transparency, I think we should be willing to discuss/provide feedback regarding the issues of today without constantly bringing up actions from the past.    We should understand that the youth, parents, media and culture today are different than those in the 1980s and prior.  So what worked in 1965 or 1985 may not work today.  However, we also should stay true to the mission of the BSA.  Finding that balance is difficult, and we should be willing to admit that while providing feedback and comments.

Now, if Mr. Mosby starts by talking about eliminating god from Scouting, kicks off a poll, refuses to release the results and announces the change ... the gloves come off. 🙂

• Upvote 2

Are you asking scouter.com to change? 

National earned our collective view. Still, I find most of scouter.com very friendly and inviting to everyone when the contributors show respect and a willingness to lesson while participating in the discussions. We don’t have to agree to be warm and inviting, just honest and noncondescending. The discussions tend to become less friendly when respect fades from the tone. 

Barry

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, dkurtenbach said:

Mr. Mosby's biggest challenge will be to convince America that despite BSA's history of sexual abuse, clumsy response to changing social norms, and old-fashioned program, our country needs Scouts.

Convince volunteers they are appreciated and their (real) feedback is valued, would be a close second.

45 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

Looks like they are already changing the culture by calling him "CEO and President" as opposed to "Chief Scout Executive" 

Me thinks this is going to be a wild ride. 

At age 72?,  maybe title of "Old Scout" .  I have dibs on Old Fogey Scout,  though Fart is often substituted for Fogey.  :)

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

While I'm sure we all wish him to succeed there are a few questions that need to be addressed (bankruptcy and solvency aside):

1. Will he have any real authority to do anything or will it get buried in the current organization morass and Executive Board "rules"?

2.  Will be be able to flip the organization upside down where the professionals work for the customers (scouts)? 

3. Will he be able to get a "one team" organization since now the councils are their own feifdoms and run from any hard issues with national.  e.g.   Not our fault, national raised the rates.

4.  For the functions proposed to be shed from national back to councils, can the councils actually do the work since they all cry poor mouth and no staffing for what they are supposed to do now.  Surely all councils will impose a fee for these "new services"

5.  Will he be able to eliminate poor councils, force mergers, property sales and allow units to pick the council that best suits their needs meaning councils have to earn the unit's business?

6. How will he fix the National culture ?  We all report bad or non existent service and when we do, it is made our fault, or our responsibility to fix or asked to just go away.

7. And the last, hire some "outsiders" into the Scout Exec positions at the council level.

JMHO.

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I attempted to think of various ways this forum can change, but it is difficult to see a way unless Mr. Mosby changes how National listens to volunteers.  I was/am 100% behind the various changes with respect to gays, transgender and girls; however, it was not handled well by National.  I think what we need, to be effective in providing feedback, is more transparency.  There is a ton of unit and district experience on this forum.  When decisions are being made/debated without transparency, we are left guessing and providing opinions on partial info. 

So, if Mr. Mosby brings forth more transparency, I think we should be willing to discuss/provide feedback regarding the issues of today without constantly bringing up actions from the past.    We should understand that the youth, parents, media and culture today are different than those in the 1980s and prior.  So what worked in 1965 or 1985 may not work today.  However, we also should stay true to the mission of the BSA.  Finding that balance is difficult, and we should be willing to admit that while providing feedback and comments.

Now, if Mr. Mosby starts by talking about eliminating god from Scouting, kicks off a poll, refuses to release the results and announces the change ... the gloves come off. 🙂

I'd suggest that one thing we could do to encourage Mr. Mosby's involvement (directly or indirectly) is to tone down some of the national/council/<whatever group> criticisms.  I'm not for a moment suggesting that we lessen the critiques of what is happening.  There is a very high level of competence and accomplishment within the volunteers in this forum - we are capabale of having frank conversations. 

However, I am suggesting that we can be more careful in reaching conclusions about their motivations.  It's been my experience that pretty often the people we criticize are much like us - folks who came to Scouting for good reasons.  They have kids and families.  They are doing what they believe to be right for Scouting - just as we all do.

I wish him luck.   He ought to be given some "credit" against future problems.  Turning a dying organization around is not something that is often accomplished quickly. Expectations should be reasonable.

A challenge will be making decisions for BSA  that the current crop of BSA bureaucrats do not support.  

• Upvote 1

The operative statement in the BSA hiring announcement is that Mosby increased the number of employees in Kinder Morgan from 175 to 11,000. It's likely no accident that is particularly mentioned, and I would say it is a clue that National is looking to him to market BSA and grow membership in order to improve revenue. Which probably means he will not be necessarily focused on many of the unit level issues that have been raised here in this forum.  However, hope springs eternal that a new leader, especially one with some outside corporate experience, will bring new ways that are good for scouting. 

6 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Are you asking scouter.com to change? 

National earned our collective view. Still, I find most of scouter.com very friendly and inviting to everyone when the contributors show respect and a willingness to lesson while participating in the discussions. We don’t have to agree to be warm and inviting, just honest and noncondescending. The discussions tend to become less friendly when respect fades from the tone. 

I'm asking for the relationship to change. We certainly want them to listen more but are we willing to listen more as well?

When I first became a SM I had all sorts of people giving me advice. Lots of advice. It became ridiculous so I just ignored those people and worked with the ones that wanted to help. Just a thought.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, MattR said:

While we have a lot of collective experience there are certainly things we don't know about. My guess is we also suffer from older generation selective memory syndrome (kids these days!)

Speak for yourself old man! 😋

I am excited for some fresh perspective in the BSA, but for the pros in National I think this board as it is currently represents a nice cross section of the BSA's more committed volunteers and former volunteers. There's a tremendous value in that perspective, whether anybody from National chooses to participate or not.