Good Deal on a 1 Person Backpacking Tent

If you're a scouter going to Philmont and use trekking poles, there's a fantastic deal on a highly rated, lightweight 1 person backpacking tent on Drop right now.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-dan-durston-x-mid-1p-tent

Yes, adults can use 1 person tents if that's what you chose at Philmont.  This one is less than 2 pounds, which is a significant weight savings (and space saver) over splitting a Philtent, which is closer to 6 pounds.

• Thanks 1

I have that same tent and it is great. Its a 1 person so understand that there is not a whole lot of room inside the screened in portion but lots of vestibule space and doors on both sides. The doors are on the sides so easier to get in and out. Going to Philmont in 2020 and cant wait to try it out in NM.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, TMSM said:

I have that same tent and it is great. Its a 1 person so understand that there is not a whole lot of room inside the screened in portion but lots of vestibule space and doors on both sides. The doors are on the sides so easier to get in and out. Going to Philmont in 2020 and cant wait to try it out in NM.

Well, you're not even allowed to have your backpack in the vestibule, so it shouldn't be a problem.  I used a Tarptent Aeon, which also has little leftover interior space, but I didn't need it.

It's behind a signup and get too much email wall, wish I could see the picture.

I had a supposedly 2 person tent that used trekking poles. It only weighed a pound and was just a tarp. It worked fine, until it rained, for a week. The material was really great but the problem was keeping away from the edge of the tent. Lesson learned: the bug net has more to do with keeping me under the tent than the bugs out.

So I went and bought a REI quarter dome on a great sale. It's about 2.5 lbs. For me, the extra weight is worth it.

My biggest challenge is finding a pack that's long enough for my torso. All the "large" packs I've tried, once they have weight and are on my hips, are just about an inch too short. So if you have ideas, let me know.

33 minutes ago, MattR said:

It's behind a signup and get too much email wall, wish I could see the picture.

I had a supposedly 2 person tent that used trekking poles. It only weighed a pound and was just a tarp. It worked fine, until it rained, for a week. The material was really great but the problem was keeping away from the edge of the tent. Lesson learned: the bug net has more to do with keeping me under the tent than the bugs out.

So I went and bought a REI quarter dome on a great sale. It's about 2.5 lbs. For me, the extra weight is worth it.

My biggest challenge is finding a pack that's long enough for my torso. All the "large" packs I've tried, once they have weight and are on my hips, are just about an inch too short. So if you have ideas, let me know.

This is a double wall tent, not a tarp. 

41 minutes ago, MattR said:

thanks for the video. Looks nice. Much nicer than my old tent.

Do the poles go straight down or do they have to go around the nest? My experience is straight down is important.

They are outside the inner net part.  You put your trekking pole in place and extend it vertically until the tent is taut.  No real need to even check the measurement. 

In fact, you can set up the fly separate from the inner if you're camping during bug-free season.  Then just use a ground cloth.

I like tents like this that can be set up in the rain with the inner already attached.  Most tents set up inner first and then the rain fly.  Then the inner gets wet.