Good Reason For No Alcohol In Camp

I found this amusing, hope you do too.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040817_2517.html

Bear Drinks 36 Cans of Favorite Beer

Black Bear Found Passed Out at Campground Apparently Consumed 36 Cans of His Favorite Beer

The Associated Press

BAKER LAKE, Wash. Aug. 17, 2004 Rain-eeeeer .... Bear? When state Fish and Wildlife agents recently found a black bear passed out on the lawn of Baker Lake Resort, there were some clues scattered nearby dozens of empty cans of Rainier Beer.

The bear apparently got into campers' coolers and used his claws and teeth to puncture the cans. And not just any cans.

"He drank the Rainier and wouldn't drink the Busch beer," said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest.

"He didn't like that (Busch) and consumed, as near as we can tell, about 36 cans of Rainier."

A wildlife agent tried to chase the bear from the campground but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. Agents finally herded the bear away, but it returned the next morning.

Agents then used a large, humane trap to capture it for relocation, baiting the trap with the usual: doughnuts, honey and, in this case, two open cans of Rainier. That did the trick.

"This is a new one on me," Heinck said. "I've known them to get into cans, but nothing like this. And it definitely had a preference."

Sign that Bear up for the District Committee!!

Sounds like he will be another volunteer for the after the meeting meeting.

In fact both the Bear and our District Commissioner seem to have a lot in common. I can almost see them both knocking back a few while not in a BSA uniform, not near any BSA property and no where near any kids, and then singing "The Bear Necessities." Only thing is our District Commissioner has been known to beat around the Busch.

This Bear is clearly not a republican.

Eamonn.

Upon reflection, and going back to the original premise posed in the subject of this threat, maybe this incident is really an argument for having lots of beer in camp. If the bear goes for the beer and passes out, isn't the bear less of a threat? Of course, some bears, like some people, may become more beligerent when intoxicated. The one thing we can say for sure is that having Busch around is not going to do you any good at all.