BSA Leader Slaps Backside of Reporter on Live TV

*sigh*   

Once again, one of us has proven the rule that "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."  

BSA has a YP (really AP) training regime that has been lauded by many an expert.  Anyone successfully taking this training MUST become aware of the many consequences of some particular action.  If the past can be taught as history from which can  be  learned, we have succeeded.  

Some actions are less onerous than others. Some more personal than others.   This one was both personally unwanted and publically  recorded and published.  It is like the internet.  NOTHING on the internet can ever be considered totally, forever private.   

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If we kick every leader out for a momentary lapse in judgement there won't be any leaders.

But his interview/statement doesn't seem to indicate that he fully acknowledges any of that. He makes excuses, suggests that he may not have even touched her backside, and then dances around an apolog

This is my take too.  That he could have a impulse to swat a female he doesn't know on the bottom certainly suggests that he has some inappropriate views towards women. What gets lost here is the

10 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Anyone successfully taking this training  (YPT) MUST become aware of the many consequences of some particular action.  If the past can be taught as history from which can  be  learned, we have succeeded.  

Agree. Conclude with a call for all volunteers to be vigilant with a discussion of a Rogues Gallery (names included) . 

Douglas Smith, BSA’s former national director for youth protection

Thomas Close (Aqua Joe)

Michael Kelsey (Hakuna Matata)

Thomas George Seifert - (failure of the Ineligible Volunteer List)

Ronald Rowcliffe - (failure background check)

Coleman Leonard (camp staff)

Robert Adams (drunk driving at scout camp)

...unfortunately there are more

My $0.02,

A fact of life is that a million good deeds can be undone by one misdeed....however, it is also well known that arrogance likes to appear humble in public.  As I see it, men and women should share the world as a mutual possession.  Thus, Twain said it best .... "laws control the lesser man....right conduct controls the greater one." 

Edited by le Voyageur
On 12/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, walk in the woods said:

If we kick every leader out for a momentary lapse in judgement there won't be any leaders.

Depends what the lapse is.  There is a ton of vagueness in your comment.   And I have concerns, with this individuals background that this could be either more than just a lapse, but a bell ringer that he should have nothing to do with youth or the female sex.   His actions are both an indicator of what his sense of right/wrong is as well as what he things is ok behavior.   And it is not behavior that should be anywhere scouts- Male or female scouts. 

1 hour ago, Navybone said:

Depends what the lapse is.  There is a ton of vagueness in your comment.   And I have concerns, with this individuals background that this could be either more than just a lapse, but a bell ringer that he should have nothing to do with youth or the female sex.   His actions are both an indicator of what his sense of right/wrong is as well as what he things is ok behavior.   And it is not behavior that should be anywhere scouts- Male or female scouts. 

I'm neither condoning the behavior nor condemning the BSA's actions.  I'm just saying for the rest of us "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

1 hour ago, Navybone said:

His actions are both an indicator of what his sense of right/wrong is as well as what he things is ok behavior.   And it is not behavior that should be anywhere scouts- Male or female scouts. 

This is my take too.  That he could have a impulse to swat a female he doesn't know on the bottom certainly suggests that he has some inappropriate views towards women.

What gets lost here is the enormity of what he did.  Cat calls, sexist remarks, swats on the rear end.  Yes, the physical impact is minor - but what they mean is the big deal.  That this man felt so empowered to assert himself on this woman is the big deal.  Any offense of this magnitude needs some response beyond "it's okay because he said sorry."

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

I'm neither condoning the behavior nor condemning the BSA's actions.  I'm just saying for the rest of us "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Even when we forgive, there are still consequences.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

This is a significant misapplication of that verse. Jesus is not telling us that social judgement cannot be applied by the sinful.  The verse is in context of a situation manufactured to trap Jesus in conflict with either Jewish or Roman law (because the laws themselves conflicted).  

We can certainly discuss if this man should continue to be a BSA leader or how we believe the justice system should act.  We are not the ones administering judgement here so no one is actually casting stones. Don't water down that analogy.  Jesus didn't mean figurative stones.  The men in that story were trying to get Jesus to say that the woman should be stoned to death.  

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Even when we forgive, there are still consequences.

Agreed. The possibility of a lack of consequences in this case is what concerned me most. Imagine if this guy got a pass and nothing happened. That would validate the notion that this behavior is ok, that the reporter put herself in the "line of fire" as some of Callaway's supporters have suggested. No female reporter could stand with her back to a crowd, since we've now given men the "ok" to slap/grab without consequence.

I know this isn't the case, and he's facing serious consequences. As I believe he should. I just don't see the other side of this, how we (collective society) could just say, "We forgive you," and let it go with no penalty for his behavior. The harm that kind of free-pass would cause is worse than any individual incident.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, le Voyageur said:

Somewhere or another I recall something about  a philosophical construct centered on "morally straight".   Kinda wonder where I heard that at?

The difference between construct and pride is the difference between an intellectual direction and defensive posturing. Even in construct,  idealism requires minimum instruction.

Barry