Scouts BSA Up 1.2% Youth Members, up 7.1% Units

21 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I don't think I'll trust any numbers for 6 or 7 years. Between all of the variables, the new girls programs, LDS, etc., it's just too volatile a situation to really read anything in to any numbers.

Question is how hard can it be to sort those variables out?  I mean this isn't rocket surgery.  We (should) know exactly how many LDS units there were, which boys were registered to those units, how many of those boys joined new or existing units, how many girls have joined, new Scouts BSA girl troops, how many kids joined Lions, how many are still in the program, etc.  We should know these numbers exactly, no?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I concur with @Eagle94-A1, I've got bad feeling too. I'm glad to see the gains, but they are modest at best.  They mostly represent motivated girls, the ones who have been waiting to join the BSA

Membership numbers are out and reflect continued growth for the Scouts BSA program.  End of November 2019 is +1.2% for youth Scouts and up 7.1% for units, in comparison to end of November 2018.  This

When last I checked, Canada, the UK, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, the Philippines, and India recruit adults directly, and I was reprimanded for doing it in the U.S. (Contacted Eagle Scouts.).  It

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, PACAN said:

It's a database.  Sort by category of primary membership.  The issue is the credibility of the data given the explanation carebear gave on scoutreach a.k.a urban scouting.

LOL, and you believe it’s that easy because National runs the rest of the program as efficiently. Because units can recharger 12 Months out of the year, Numbers change daily, so when do you say now? Then you have to consider scouts who joined a troop, but never showed up to a meeting. There are a lot as a result of heavy pressure to join with no intention of being active. Those numbers don’t show up until recharger. I believe there could be as much as 20% error. That’s a guess based from my experience of tracking scouts in our district. A national rechartering date would help accuracy, but I wonder if National wants to be that accurate.

Barry

@Eagledad   I think you missed my "credibility of the data " part of my statement.    Pulling the data on the last day of the month is easy.  Counting "active" scouts is never going to happen.  The LDS registered everyone all the time but attendance not so much.  national only concerned with getting the 60 a pop and after that their interest is nil.

My sense is that we will have a numeric basis upon which to build abut one year from this March.  The LDS departures will have fully-manifested by then and we will have a better sense of how the currently-small girl Troops are growing and being retained.  We'll also have a good idea of further growth in Cubs from girls.  Our focus should be on forming, growing and retaining the girl units and retaining boy units for the next year or so.  There is continued interest because of the newness of it all -- and several councils have not really done a good job on this yet.

I think we have pretty-well discussed these numbers about as much as we can at this point.  Next week I'll be changing my discussion focus with a new posting on the Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  Rather than discussing the financial implications, I'll have a focus on how it can favorably impact operations and membership.  Yes … I did use the word "favorably".  The loss of some national cash and the administrative deformities that will occur with our need to focus resources on getting us through the bankruptcy process will detract.  However, there will be an unavoidable need to recast certain national and local structures.  Yes folks, the BSA can benefit in some ways from the upcoming change in personnel and organization.  Store up your great ideas for my next posting.

4 hours ago, Cburkhardt said:

My sense is that we will have a numeric basis upon which to build abut one year from this March.  ...

Is that an inside-the-beltway way of saying "We've just about hit rock bottom?"

10 hours ago, Cburkhardt said:

Store up your great ideas for my next posting.

If I'm 'waiting with baited breath', does that mean that I have to put worms in my mouth?  Do Red Wrigglers taste better than Night Crawlers?

• Haha 2
39 minutes ago, PACAN said:

So when does anyone believe any details on any organization, personnel or bankruptcy will be announced?

Good question...unfortunately, we volunteers will be the last to know. 

Edited by desertrat77
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, PACAN said:

So when does anyone believe any details on any organization, personnel or bankruptcy will be announced?

Perhaps after more trees are shaken...

This week I received a Council notice regarding  Council creating an Ad Hoc Committee complete with an attorney to "contribute funds". Here is a snippet from the FAQ:

Is our council participating in the Ad Hoc Committee? What are the implications if we do/don’t?

The national organization has facilitated the creation of an Ad Hoc Committee of local councils that will participate in its continued evaluation of this potential path forward. The Ad Hoc Committee will have an ongoing voice, as a group, in any restructuring considerations. The Ad Hoc Committee will give councils access to more detailed information on financial considerations and insight from their own representatives. It will allow councils to gather information and substantively and collaboratively engage with the process. Working with the Ad Hoc Committee does not obligate our council to contribute funds to this effort. Each council is an independent nonprofit organization separate from the national organization. To reiterate: The decision of whether our council contributes to a potential victims’ compensation trust will be made by each individual council board after careful consideration.

Are our local assets such as properties/camps at risk?

Any path pursued will ensure that we are able to continue delivering programming in our community for many years to come. We believe our properties and camps are important components of this programming. Any decisions regarding our properties and camps will be based on our ongoing efforts to manage our local Scouting resources wisely

IMHO, the ongoing Diocese of Rochester Chapter 11 bankruptcy case may serve as a model if and when the BSA files Chapter 11. So far, Judge Paul Warren has denied their insurance company arguments regarding exemptions (e.g., no payout if Council was aware), appointed a U.S. trustee so the Diocese is not "debtor in possession", and a creditors committee comprised of diocese abuse survivors. Unknown whether an IRS audit will occur and financial considerations of diocese employees (health insurance, severance,...). 

https://rochesterbeacon.com/2020/01/02/the-rochester-dioceses-unique-case/

My $0.01,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, JoeBob said:

If I'm 'waiting with baited breath', does that mean that I have to put worms in my mouth?  Do Red Wrigglers taste better than Night Crawlers?

The fellow was catching fat trout after fat bass.  An onlooker asked him how he was so successful,  The fellow handed him a  pampthlet that advised using worms and to  " keep the worms warm."  The onlooker asked, "and how do you keep the worms warm?"  the fisherman smiled and said "   thath  eathy. Keep'em in yer mouf."  

2 hours ago, SSScout said:

The fellow was catching fat trout after fat bass.  An onlooker asked him how he was so successful,  The fellow handed him a  pampthlet that advised using worms and to  " keep the worms warm."  The onlooker asked, "and how do you keep the worms warm?"  the fisherman smiled and said "   thath  eathy. Keep'em in yer mouf."  

Wrong comment to read while eating lunch...🙄

• Haha 1