I've been on a long, frustrating search for really good quality photos of Scouts involved in Scouting activities. I'm working on a Wood Badge project to build a portable display used to promote the four program areas in Scouting - Cubs, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts and Venturing. Finding really good photos is difficult. Most stuff available on web sites are just snap shots - boys often not in uniform, just gathered around watching someone, maybe posed in a line receiving a badge, often the only way you know they are Scouts is because the caption says so... The file quality is not good enough to print semi-poster size. And I'd be hesitant about using anything without permission anyway.

BSA National Supply has a series of CDs available titled "ScoutShots". They are:

Cat # Title

AV-629 ScoutShots 4: The Outdoor Collection Slide Set

AV-630 ScoutShots 5: Jamboree! CD-ROM

AV-631 ScoutShots 6: The Venturing Experience CD-ROM

AV-632 ScoutShots 7: Boy Scouts CD-ROM

AV-633 ScoutShots 8: The Venturing Collection CD-ROM

When I contacted National Supply, the lady I talked to ensured me that these are good quality images (and I'm sure they are - BSA does good quality promotions), but she was unable to provide me any thumbnails of the images so I could see the actual content. This project is funded out of my own pocket - I'd hate to spend $23 each CD and still not have anything that I can use. Project is costing me about $400 without even buying pictures to start with.

Has anyone seen these specific CDs? Are they good - show boys engaged in interesting Scout activities, preferably in uniform, high enough resolution to enlarge to 16 x 20 or so, etc? Does any one of these adequately cover the full range of programs?

Any advice as to where I might turn to for good photos?

Any suggestions appreciated.

KStrohm

First RE-THINK YOUR PLAN. The Wood badge project is a patrol project that everyone shouild help on and it shouldn't cost anywhere even near the amount you mentioned. You need a plan B.

There are lots of great photos in Scouting and Boys' Life magazines that you should be able to use. Also check out other council sites too, there are some great images on-line.

I should probably clarify.

This project is one of my Ticket Items. Not the patrol project that we did during the course.

The display is modular - any portion can be used to promote one of the programs. they can be used individually or as a grouping.

The display will be loaned to other units within my council to promote Scouting. It will be use at fairs, Scout nights, etc. It's not just an exercise to show my familiarity with the programs. Its a recruitment tool. It needs to be appealing to someone walking by. And it needs to stand without an oral presentation.

The problem I've had with websites is that the photos are optimized for use on the web. They've been dumbied down to make small, fast files. They don't stand up to 10-20 times enlargement. And again, the subject matter is often barely recognizable as Scouting related. I'll try a magazine cover, but I suspect that even enlarged only a time or two and the magazine's printing process will be too exagerated. And then there's all that other printing on the cover to work around.

I'm committed to this project. I'm comfortable with the price tag, but I don't need to waste any money buying the CDs offered without knowing what is on them. Cost of a single CD is probably ok - but several to cover all the programs is too much. Especially if I end up empty handed in the end.

You'd think someone has seen these CDs.

Thanks for your suggestions.

KStrohm(This message has been edited by KStrohm)

When I had talked to National Supply earlier this week they weren't very helpful on the content of the "Scoutshots" series, but they were very much ready to take my order. I didn't order at that time since I didn't know what I would get.

I decided yesterday to take a gamble and purchase a couple anyway. This time around though, I'm informed that this series is no longer available. No plans to restock. Gone. Forever lost.

Go Figure.

This may be true or not - you wouldn't think you'd get such different direction by calling a single phone number.

A couple of you have offered to send me some photos for this project. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. If I've missed responding to anyone, please private email me.

Thanks again,

KStrohm

(Wouldn't it be nice if this system didn't truncate my messages all the time)(This message has been edited by KStrohm)

napowan.com

Look at the galleries, they go back to '96 with some really nice shots.

In 2002, the council became more rigid with uniforming, so the staff have their venturing class A's on a lot of the time.

I'm not sure if this will help or if you're still looking, but it's a nice site about scouting.