Recommendations for off-brand Scout pants

My 15-year-old son has always been on the small side, but suddenly he's growing ... rapidly.  I don't want to buy official BSA uniform pants because he'll outgrow them so quickly and our troop isn't fussy as long as they somewhat resemble Scout pants.  He's outgrown all of the long pants he had, and he has a District dinner coming up in a couple of weeks, so he'll need something other than the green shorts he wears to meetings.  Any ideas? 

I've been looking on Amazon and the only thing I can seem to find is the "brand" (sold under a bunch of different names) that I bought him to go to Philmont this past summer.  He's now outgrown them and weren't that good anyhow.  I'd prefer, if possible, convertible pants that can zip into shorts.

Edited by SteveMM

Are there any thrift stores in your area? Does your son's troop have a uniform closets that sell uniforms? Is eBay or Craigslist an option? One cool thing about the older Oscar De La Renta pants with elastic, the size was with the elastic fully expanded. You could move up a size, and in some cases 2 sizes, and hem the pants so that you can let out the legs as they grow. Recommended that when i work in Supply, and did that with my sons' pants.

I know way back in the day, I went to a army surplus store and used pants i got there.

1 minute ago, Treflienne said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RP1B2TD  (“6055 Army Green”)

Good color.  Big pockets.  Zip off.  Quick dry.

Haven't had them long enough yet to check durability.

Thanks.  I saw that in my searches.  My son is between 5'4'' and 5'5'' (at the moment) and around 110 lbs.  So, he's pretty skinny.  I'm not sure he'd fit in any of their sizing options.  I'll see if I can measure his waist when he gets home.  I feel like he might be at about a 28-inch waist, so even 29-inches would be big.

Just now, Eagle94-A1 said:

Are there any thrift stores in your area? Does your son's troop have a uniform closets that sell uniforms? Is eBay or Craigslist an option? One cool thing about the older Oscar De La Renta pants with elastic, the size was with the elastic fully expanded. You could move up a size, and in some cases 2 sizes, and hem the pants so that you can let out the legs as they grow. Recommended that when i work in Supply, and did that with my sons' pants.

I know way back in the day, I went to a army surplus store and used pants i got there.

Unfortunately eBay is out because the District meeting is next weekend, so I don't know that I'd get it in time.  I don't love CraigsList very much.  Thrift store is a possibility, but very hit or miss.  Yes, I waited until the last minute.  In my defense, he and I cleaned out a lot of clothes that didn't fit yesterday and I just realized he'd grown out of what he had :)

This is really making me think our troop needs to start a uniform closet if we can find the room for it.

Just now, Eagle94-A1 said:

Thanks!  I think those are actually the adult version of the ones I bought for my son to take to Philmont this past summer.  It was really weird.  I ordered XL and they were HUGE -- like two inches too big in the waist.  So, I sent those back and ordered large ones.  They were a little on the small side!  They worked well enough but he's now outgrown them, but he probably hasn't grown enough that the XL ones would fit.  

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but we found some green pants at in the men's section at Wal-Mart that are pretty similar to Scout pants.  They appear to be made from rip stop material.  We have only had them for about 6 months, but they have held up pretty well so far.  The brand name is "Genuine Dickies".

Edited by Thunderbird
2 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but we found some green pants at in the men's section at Wal-Mart that are pretty similar to Scout pants.  They appear to be made from rip stop material.  We have only had them for about 6 months, but they have held up pretty well so far.  The brand name is "Genuine Dickies".

This is an idea, if they have a really small size.  He's very skinny, and waist size has always been a problem for him.  I haven't yet found a pair of adult pants that fit him.  He's generally wearing youth 16 sizes now, and that's with the adjustable waist tightened a bit!  Maybe we'll make a run to Walmart after school and see what we can find.

7 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

My son has I believe 2 pairs of these.  My only complaint is that the belt loops are really tight for a BSA belt.  But we got them since its hot here in Florida and they are a good fit for summer camp as they dry pretty quickly.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors™-mens-back-country-zipoff-nylon-pant#repChildCatSku=102410545

We've bought these for our sons also. They hold up really well and it is nice that they are convertible like the BSA pants.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

My son has I believe 2 pairs of these.  My only complaint is that the belt loops are really tight for a BSA belt.  But we got them since its hot here in Florida and they are a good fit for summer camp as they dry pretty quickly.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors™-mens-back-country-zipoff-nylon-pant#repChildCatSku=102410545

Another vote for these.  A lot of the boys in our troop have these.  Agree with the belt comment as well; I wish the loops were just a little bigger. 

Update: Son and I did go to Walmart yesterday, and managed to find a pair of pants!  His waist size is now 28.5, which makes finding something that fits a bit challenging.  However, we found a pair of green Wrangler cargo pants with a 29 waist.  The color looks like BSA pants that have been washed a bunch of times.  The cost was $20.  I grabbed two of them, and spent around what I would have spent for one pair of official BSA pants.  They have a little room to grow in width and length, so he's set for a little bit ... hopefully.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just for future reference, check out 5.11 Taclite pants in TDU Green, almost the same as BSA green but made way better, more comfortable, more durable, etc. These are the only "scout" pants I'll wear. 

Edited by FireStone
  • 5 weeks later...