Has anyone had their uniform shirt tailored?

I am asking because I really want to go and buy an XL or XXL uniform shirt and then alter it down to fit me better than the current female options.   The current cut of all the female variations are quite short and not really cut for properly/modestly covering a chest if the shirt fits the shoulders. (and if the shoulders are too large, then the shirt really pulls out of a tucked waistband easily when lifting an arm)  Sooo... I am thinking about altering a mens shirt.  Has anyone done this?  Did you go with adding darts or simply cut/resew the side seams? I am a fairly decent seamstress for dresses and camping quilts but have no experience with altering shirts. 

I end up wearing my uniform about 2-3 times a week so I don't really want to be all frumpy in public (I know... terribly vain... but I do want to look good while being comfortable)

Yes I did have my last shirt altered.  But I'm not a great seamstress so I took it in.  They added darts to the back and since I'm vertically challenged, the shirt was also shortened.  I have never received any comments that anyone even noticed.  I would say go for it.

• Like 1

Ordering a custom shirt is certainly a possibility.  Just a little worried that the result would still see me wanting to alter a bit and I am on the fence about the new choice of fabric for the ladies shirts.  Will probably go with adding darts and cutting some length off of a men's shirt.  -Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hystrung said:

I am on the fence about the new choice of fabric for the ladies shirts.

Don't forget ebay.  That gives more options of shirts available a few years ago -- such as nylon.  People in my troop tell me that the polyester-microfiber shirt snags too easily.  Of course these particular scouts, who are telling me this, would be capable of snagging almost anything.

• Like 1
On 12/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, scotteg83 said:

Would it make more sense to order a custom fit shirt to your measurements?

to me, it just seems like to much to rework a current shirt and make it look decent in the end

Custom orders require 2 to be made.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:45 PM, Treflienne said:

Don't forget ebay.  That gives more options of shirts available a few years ago -- such as nylon.  People in my troop tell me that the polyester-microfiber shirt snags too easily.  Of course these particular scouts, who are telling me this, would be capable of snagging almost anything.

I agree about the microfiber snagging easily as mine is pretty ragged after about three years of wear (gives it character...  LOL).  I would love to have my tan scout shirts made out of nylon like my venturing shirt.  Breathes soooo much better in Texas heat.   Polyester and poly blends just hate my skin's ability for heat regulation.  But alas, a nice cotton (without added spandex or poly) is not to be had with this iteration of the uniform design. :)

15 hours ago, scotteg83 said:

is that still true?  I haven't seen anything online that shows that.  

https://mediafiles.scoutshop.org/Media/Ladies_BSA_MadeToMeasureForms_shirt_R2.pdf

Since you mentioned the made to measure, I have looked into it and this may be the way to go for me...... Just need to pick up a few extra photography gigs to pay for a custom shirt order :)