Stonewall Jackson Area Council Changes Name

The Civil War was fought over secession, the south the secure it, the north to prevent it. Secession however, was all about preserving slavery. How do we know? Because the south said it was. They published articles saying it. State legislators passed declarations saying it. The first states to secede sent representatives to other slave states telling why they should also secede. Those representatives said things like: "Georgia seceded for one reason, and one reason only. The preservation of slavery!" (can be found in the minutes of the Virginia convention where they were discussing secession. See the University of Virginia web site).

The idea that the Civil War wasn't about slavery is revisionist claptrap, created by the south many decades after the war to try and "redeem" the "cause".

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's have that diary quote in full shall we? You know, so that no-one misrepresents history or anything...  "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, p

Hiding history doesn't change history. It just makes you ignorant.  And political correctness hasn't done Scouting much good so far. 

Is it because A) he was not a fascist, and B) he was not a fascist. Imperialist I'll give you, at least in his early years. At some point he said this... "We should take care, in i

On 11/30/2019 at 12:37 AM, ParkMan said:

Somewhere along the way in my life, this point hit me:

Slavery and the many, many years of racism that followed it caused a great deal of hurt to a great many people in our country.  It is a scar on the soul of our country.  Enough people have said this kind of thing bothers them that In deference to the wishes of those who have suffered so much because of slavery and racism, I think that yes, we should not name councils in honor of Confederate generals.

It really depends on who erected the monuments, parks, or buildings.  If we think about it dispassionately, if your community was on the losing end of a war and your soldiers and leaders fought bravely on your behalf then remembering them is not out of line. 

However, as has already been mentioned today, a great many of the remembrances of the Civil War and the Confederacy were done in protest to and defiance of the civil rights movements.  Those works are shameful and should be removed.

This council got it's name in 1927 - so I've got no idea of the motivation for choosing the name.

Here's what the locals said of naming the council in 1927...https://www.scouter.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1000

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, rayezell_2000 said:

Here's what the locals said of naming the council in 1927...https://www.scouter.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1000

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.  Made me wonder when there was a push to bring African Americans into scouting - seems about this time.  Interesting times indeed - maybe part of the motivation?   

https://aaregistry.org/story/the-african-american-boy-scout-movement-a-story/

On 11/29/2019 at 7:08 PM, Sentinel947 said:

Why in the United States of America do we have statues and name things after traitors who waged and lost a war against our country? 

Because we have Freedom of Speech.  In the USA, people can build statues or name things in honor of anyone/anything they please.  I wouldn't want that to change.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, David CO said:

Because we have Freedom of Speech.  In the USA, people can build statues or name things in honor of anyone/anything they please.  I wouldn't want that to change.

They sure do. Just as much as those of us who think naming buildings, parks and Boy Scout Councils after national traitors is in poor taste.