Some Volunteers say new background check too invasive

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

@TAHAWK  I’m just happy they are listening and adjusting a bit in this case.  

However, given that they hocked Philmont, I wouldn’t recommend giving them your bank account info any time soon.

As well as a few other things.

Edited by Oldscout448

The sale of camps seems to always involve controversy, merited or not.

One of our council camps - 1700 acres on a lake - was sold for about $200/acre to a company run by a former council middle manager.   The sale was announced months after the fact, an hour into a raucous meeting about "the future" of the camp.  

The plan was to turn the property into a land fill.  The locals raised some serious  cane with the state government and stopped that plan cold.  It seems doubtful that the feds would have approved due to the drainage of the property into "navigable waterways" of the United States.

The council had been running in the red for several years., with a paid staff disproportionately large compared to membership that had been plunging for over twenty years.

In due course, the auditors arrived, the SE was "retired," paid staff sharply reduced, and two more camps sold - all to return fiscal equilibrium.

• Upvote 1

There is still no official posting of a revision to the ill-considered 9/30/2019

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/se-packet/2019-09-30/Additional-Disclosures-And-Background-Check-Authorization-NOT-CALIFORNIA.pdf

@Eagle1993 found a document referenced on FB  in a zip file in an unofficial dropbox.  A poster on another scouter forum gave a link to another new form on an unofficial website.  Neither form has a BSA document number,  addresses all the member concerns, or states it supersedes the above form if that form was already signed. 

Our recharter is scheduled for the end of the week.  We stand to lose several adult leaders over privacy concerns.

I agree.  I have been looking at various councils and haven’t seen it either.  By the way, this form is now hard attached to adult applications so it will take some time to update those.  Was hoping to see the change but haven’t yet. 

On 12/1/2019 at 9:15 AM, RememberSchiff said:

There is still no official posting of a revision to the ill-considered 9/30/2019

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/se-packet/2019-09-30/Additional-Disclosures-And-Background-Check-Authorization-NOT-CALIFORNIA.pdf

@Eagle1993 found a document referenced on FB  in a zip file in an unofficial dropbox.  A poster on another scouter forum gave a link to another new form on an unofficial website.  Neither form has a BSA document number,  addresses all the member concerns, or states it supersedes the above form if that form was already signed. 

Our recharter is scheduled for the end of the week.  We stand to lose several adult leaders over privacy concerns.

Starting to see a new version  posted at a few Council websites.  It still does not mention the CRA by name or its contact information,  nor that it  supersedes the above form if that form was already signed, no copy of report to members who paid for it,  no linked privacy policy, and still short (or wrong) on specifics?  

"Boy Scouts of America and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates, other related entities, and/or successors (the “Company”)..."   er no, BSA folds and the agreement  and membership ends.

https://nhscouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Additional-Disclosures-And-Background-Check-Authorization-NOT-CALIFORNIA-112519.pdf

Edited by RememberSchiff

Paperwork  for rechartering needs to be filed in 12 hours, I still haven't  signed.  Nor do I plan to. I'm more than a little melancholy but since it will have been exactly 50 years next week since I first put on a boyscout uniform,  I guess I shouldn't complain.  Been a long fun filled trail.  

"  The road goes ever on and on, out from the door where it began, but I at last with weary feet, turn toward the lighted inn.

My evening rest and sleep to meet"

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 3
  • 9 months later...

@Oldscout448 I don't blame you.  I agonized over my decision to retire from Scouting.  Nowhere near 50 years -- about 26 years as an adult Scouter, 5 as a Scout, 3 as a Cub -- although I would have liked to have ended the way the SMs I admired did, going to the grave with a Scout uniform.  I told my fellow members on the Shooting Sports Committee that I'd help them with anything that didn't involve registering or sending money to National again (and I have).

It just got to the point where I no longer trusted National.  Robert Gates and his successors have been an abomination.  I won't bother going into all the gripes here but I'd have quit over the new background check policy too.  I seem to remember telling one of the past SEs, "I have to go through pretty extensive background check every 5 years -- why doesn't Scouting save itself some money by accepting that in lieu of doing their own?"  Of course, I got no answer.

BTW, excellent quote from a classic piece of literature.  😁