Some Volunteers say new background check too invasive

As if the negative feedback comments of the on another forum regarding the following are not clear. :(

“To the extent permitted by applicable law, I hereby consent to and authorize the Boy Scouts of America and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates, other related entities, successors, and/or assigns (the “Company”) to procure consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s) and/or investigative consumer report(s), on my background from a consumer reporting agency (“CRA”) or from an investigative consumer reporting agency (“ICRA”), as described in the Background Check Disclosure (which I have received separately from the Company), as well as these Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization. I have reviewed and understand the information, statements, and notices in the Background Check Disclosure, as well as these Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization. My authorization remains valid throughout my volunteer relationship with the Company, such that, to the extent permitted by applicable law, I agree Company can procure additional consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s), during my volunteer relationship without providing additional disclosures or obtaining additional authorizations. Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, I consent to and authorize the Company to share this information with Company’s current or prospective clients, customers, others with a need to know, and/or their agents for business reasons (e.g., to place me in certain positions, work sites, etc.). I understand that, if I am selected for a volunteer position, a consumer report will have been conducted on me.”

..The problem was in the fine print of it."

By signing, volunteers are agreeing for BSA to obtain a consumer report to check things like a criminal background and driving background. The Jennings are in agreement with that.

Other information that can be collected, though, like character, general reputation, personal characteristics and mode of living, they say is too much.

There's also concern BSA could check personal financial reports.

"It doesn't specifically say that they will go after your financial records, but they could," Emily said.

And, if it did, who would have access to it and would it be shared?

The authorization form, if signed, gives consent to BSA to share the information with current or prospective clients, customers or others with a "need to know" business reason.

Sources close to BSA say the information will be used solely for criminal background checks and will not include credit checks or inquiries about living conditions or personal reputations.

Jeff Moe, the scout executive with Simon Kenton Council, says information would only be shared internally.

"The authorization to share information merely allows our national organization to share the results with local councils," Moe said. "The BSA does not sell private information of its members."

BSA says federal and state laws dictate what is stated in the disclosure forms required from volunteers. Because of that, the Jennings are prepared to walk away from the organization they love.

"That's the way it was presented," Mike said. "It was an ultimatum; sign this document or we can't renew your charter. As a volunteer, I need to have some protection of my privacy and I need to know what my data's being used for, where it's being stored, who can access it and there's nothing spelled out in that [authorization] document that gives me that comfort level."

https://www.10tv.com/article/some-boy-scouts-volunteers-say-new-background-checks-are-too-invasive-2019-nov

What the Background Check Disclosure states  (or does not state) and the BSA (National and Council) explanations are not  consistent. 

Edited by RememberSchiff

The BSA has said, to paraphrase, "That's just legal mumbo-jumbo that the law requires.  We promise we won't do anything other than the usual criminal background check, same as we've always done.  Scout's Honor."

I can't believe people are being so naive about this.  As my dear late dad used to say..."I was born at night, but it wasn't last night."  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
8 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

“To the extent permitted by applicable law, I hereby consent to and authorize the Boy Scouts of America and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates, other related entities, successors, and/or assigns (the “Company”) to procure consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s) and/or investigative consumer report(s), on my background from a consumer reporting agency (“CRA”) or from an investigative consumer reporting agency (“ICRA”), as described in the Background Check Disclosure (which I have received separately from the Company), as well as these Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization. I have reviewed and understand the information, statements, and notices in the Background Check Disclosure, as well as these Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization. My authorization remains valid throughout my volunteer relationship with the Company, such that, to the extent permitted by applicable law, I agree Company can procure additional consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s), during my volunteer relationship without providing additional disclosures or obtaining additional authorizations. Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, I consent to and authorize the Company to share this information with Company’s current or prospective clients, customers, others with a need to know, and/or their agents for business reasons (e.g., to place me in certain positions, work sites, etc.). I understand that, if I am selected for a volunteer position, a consumer report will have been conducted on me.”

Here's the wording from the printed application (2018 Printing). If someone can point to the change that's causing the uproar, I'd appreciate it.  Is it because some of the people who have been registered since the 70's and haven't had a background check since then now do? That doesn't seem like a bad thing.

To the extent permitted by applicable law, I hereby consent to and authorize Boy Scouts of America and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates, other related entities, successors, and/or assigns (the “Company”), to procure consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s) and/or investigative consumer report(s) (as defined by applicable California law), on my background from a consumer reporting agency (“CRA”) or from an investigative consumer reporting agency (“ICRA”), as described in the Background Check Disclosure and the Additional Disclosures (all of which I have received separately from the Company). I have reviewed and understand the information, statements, and notices in the Background Check Disclosure and the Additional Disclosures, as well as this Background Check Authorization. My authorization remains valid throughout my volunteer relationship with the Company, such that, to the extent permitted by applicable law, I agree Company can procure additional consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s), during my volunteer relationship without providing additional disclosures or obtaining additional authorizations. Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, I consent to and authorize the Company to share this information with Company’s current or prospective clients, customers, others with a need to know, and/or their agents for business reasons (e.g., to place me in certain positions, work sites, etc.). I understand that, if I am selected for a volunteer position, a consumer report will have been conducted on me.

Edited by Pale Horse
  • Upvote 2

Previously discussed in 

My last background check used the 2012 form which was ok not great. I still believe since we pay for background check report at registration, we should receive a copy.

1. 2012 explicitly stated who the CRA was (Lexis-Nexis) and their contact information. 2018 form - not specified, National can use anybody.

2. 2012 scope of background check is detailed and specifically states  "will not include credit record checks or motor vehicle record checks". 2018 -  can procure additional consumer report(s), which may include criminal background check(s), during my volunteer relationship without providing additional disclosures or obtaining additional authorizations.

3. 2012 no mention on sharing/selling information. 2018 "I consent to and authorize the Company to share this information with Company’s current or prospective clients, customers, others with a need to know, and/or their agents for business reasons (e.g., to place me in certain positions, work sites, etc.). 

2012 (courtesy of mds3d)

NOTICE TO APPLICANT REGARDING BACKGROUND CHECK In order to safeguard the youth in our program, the Boy Scouts of America will procure consumer reports on you in connection with your application to serve as a volunteer, and the Boy Scouts of America may procure additional consumer reports at any time during your service as a volunteer in order to evaluate your continued suitability for volunteer service.  The Boy Scouts of America has contracted with LexisNexis, a consumer reporting agency, to provide the consumer reports.  LexisNexis may be contacted by mail at LexisNexis, 1000 Alderman Drive, Alpharetta, GA 30005 or by telephone at 800-845-6004. The consumer reports may contain information bearing on your character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The types of information that may be obtained include but are not limited to Social Security number verification, sex offender registry checks, criminal records checks, inmate records searches, and court records checks. The information contained in these consumer reports may be obtained by LexisNexis from public record sources. The consumer reports will not include credit record checks or motor vehicle record checks. The nature and scope of the consumer reports are described above. Nonetheless, you are entitled to request a complete and accurate disclosure of the nature and scope of such reports by submitting a written request to LexisNexis at the address listed above. Additional notices for applicants in California, New York, Minnesota, and Oklahoma are provided. APPLICANT’S ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND AUTHORIZATION I have carefully read this notice and authorization form and I hereby authorize the Boy Scouts of America and LexisNexis to procure a consumer report, which as described above will include information relating to my criminal history as received from reporting agencies. I understand that this information will be used to determine my eligibility for a volunteer position with the Boy Scouts of America.  I also understand that as long as I remain a volunteer, additional consumer reports may be procured at any time. I understand that if the Boy Scouts of America chooses not to accept my application or to revoke my membership based on information contained in a consumer report, I will receive a summary of my rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and contact information for the reporting agency, LexisNexis.

Edited by RememberSchiff

I keep hearing the "selling data" issue come up.  I think this concern is kinda silly being most of us provide data to facebook and google willingly on a daily basis.

Being self employed for most of my life, I was amazed how much paperwork I had to sign when I became an employee three years ago. Point being, many employers require the same checks, if not more.  I suspect some may want IP addresses soon.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
On 11/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, mrkstvns said:

It's only silly if you haven't bothered to educate yourself about what companies like Facebook and Google are actually doing and if you do not care at all about your own personal privacy.

Speak for yourself.

There are many of us who do *NOT* use Facebook precisely because we do not agree with their socially irresponsible terms and conditions. Instead, we advocate for government to step up and enact RESPONSIBLE privacy laws and date security laws. In the EU, baby steps in the right direction have taken place, and companies and software professionals talk about how they will respect new laws like the GDPR (except Facebook, which likes  to break the law and just pay the multi-billion euro fines out of petty cash).

If you actually take a little time to investigate and find out what Facebook is REALLY doing with your data (and how much of it they have collected without your knowledge and consent), you might change your tune. Let's remember the immortal words of Emil Faber, "Knowledge is good."

Please allow me to clarify.  The data selling issue I'm referring to is the assertion by many that the BSA plans to sell our data gathered by the CR and ICRs that are now required.

I'm very well aware of what Google and Facebook are up to.  This is precisely why I'm baffled by some protesting over the CR and ICR consent request/demand.  As stated early, I suspect most employers of any size require the same thing.  Some employees now must consent to their employer snooping in all social media activities.

Just saw new forms referenced on Facebook.  I haven’t been able to download them yet.  See FB post below.  Thanks goes to the FB poster & BSA for listening!

New CBC Forms Released Today. 

READ ALL OF THIS POST.  IF A PERSON HAS TURNED IN THE NEW FORMS THERE IS NO ACTION NECESSARY UNLESS THEY WANT TO SUBMIT THE NEW FORM THAT SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES THE CREDIT CHECK AS THESE FORMS DO.

There is a new sentence in the forms that says, "This authorization applies only to criminal checks/driving records and does not allow the Company to obtain credit checks." It can be found in the form you sign titled "Additional Disclosures-and-background-check-authorization. Note: There are different forms depending if you are in California or the other 49 states.  Link is for a zip file of all the forms since you can only upload 1 file in a post, and it won't let me upload the zip.

Source:  BSA Legal provided the documents.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktde7yyx3d206aj/CBC Forms released 11-25-19.zip?file_subpath=%2FAdditional-Disclosures-And-Background-Check-Authorization-NOT-CALIFORNIA+112519.pdf

Edited by Eagle1993
Added link to new form

It did not work for me....

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

www.facebook.com/groups/Talk.about.Scouting/  - An unfiltered, unofficial, private forum in which the participants can talk about current events, topics, trends and news stories dealing with the AMERICAN Boy Scout program or its options.

Edited by RememberSchiff