Hair-Brained Idea du Jour...

21 minutes ago, MattR said:

If marching band is ever combined with scouting I will quietly exit. 

In the UK, Scout bands were a big deal. Usually district or county wide, and they would only perform on special occasions. Not like US marching bands.

3 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

... watering down their STEM focus by stacking art on top of it and making it "STEAM" ---...

I'm all for STREAM:

• Science -- in the outdoors,
  • Technology -- in pioneering, signalling, etc...
  • Recreation -- as in recreating our wilderness, LNT, etc ...
  • Engineering -- your personal path toward rank advanement ...
  • Art -- especially the kind in those Norman Rockwell paintings!
  • Mathematics -- as in ordering enough food for your patrol (and their ASM guest)!

It all depends on how you approach STEM, you have to work it into the program

- We were at a canyon hiking the rim, we posed the question, if we throw Timmy off, how long until he hits the bottom if the bottom is 700 ft?  That lead to the speed and acceleration discussions.  Also how much force would be needed to get Timmy out far enough

- We spotted the International Space Station on an outing, good discussion points on the station, geosynchronous orbits, etc

- Time to get to an outing..if the campsite is XX miles away, and we drive XX miles per hour, when do we arrive?

- How hot does the fire need to be to melt glass?  (surprisingly not that hot)

47 minutes ago, MattR said:

...How to have fun at a skill you suck at would be great.

Yes.  I'm a firm believer in learning to enjoy doing things badly.

Like my dad used to tell me, "Son, if it's worth doing, it's worth having to do over again."

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, dkurtenbach said:

BSA's Soccer and Scouting initiative has been around for a while.  The idea was to use soccer to introduce Scouting into the Hispanic community.  

I think that's a terrible idea.  Your typical U.S. scoutmaster has absolutely *NO* idea what is the proper pronunciation of the word "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Haha 1

Yep...not a new thing.  Going after youth soccer teams and registering them as Cub Scouts was a thing back in the dark ages...mid-80s as I recall.  No Scout uniforms or real program...just soccer.  Kinda like the old Learning for Life program that went after kids in school and registering them as Scouts, but not really "Scouts" because then they could register everyone, not just straight young men, without offending the major religious groups.

19 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I think that's a terrible idea.  Your typical U.S. scoutmaster has absolutely *NO* idea what is the proper pronunciation of the word "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:D. I announced varsity soccer games ... quite clearly. So much so, that Daughter's teammates asked her why I was cheering so well for the other team. I told her to tell her teammates to start scoring, and then they'll understand. Before the start of next season I forwarded an essay to the coaches to share with the players. An excerpt from "When the Mic Goes On" ...

... the first games were a little rough, and word got to me that some [of our] players were bothered by how excited I sounded when the visitor team scored a goal.  Well any goal in a soccer game is reason for jubilation. So, if your opponent is getting the better of you, we in the press box will not take away from their success, but -- in case you think we are being too "even-handed" -- just cause an uptick in the [home team's] score, then YOU WILL HEAR FROM US.

Wishing all the best for [your school's] Soccer,
Looking for a reason to shout ...