Sea Scouts is OFFICIALLY the youth program of US Coast Guard Auxiliary

20 hours ago, mashmaster said:

So you keep saying they can't charter units but they have.  Maybe the publications haven't been updated.  

What friend Merlyn is saying is that, evidently, the BSA isn't following it's own guidelines.  That appears to be the base problem. 

As much as I think it is wonderful that the Sea Scout program is a perfect fit with the USCGAux,  it needs a bit of tweeking....

Perhaps the United States Power Squadron might be a better choice?   https://www.usps.org/     

Perhaps 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla was the Chartered Organization for my Ship in 1970's suburban Chicago.  I earned Quartermaster in what can only be described as a splendid Scouting unit.  The Auxiliar

Soon to be a Sea Scout ship... The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 8-11, District 5 Southern Region, is sponsoring the creation of a new Sea Scout unit in Smith Mountain Lake (V

So, I assume the Sea Scouts are allowing atheist members now, right?

17 hours ago, Merlyn_LeRoy said:

It doesn't matter if that agrees with the BSA's guidelines or not.

Of course it matters.   If the BSA isn't following it's own guidelines , there's a problem..  We got pandemic size lawsuits that attest to that.  

If the guvmint ain't following it's own guidelines, that's another problem.   Both problems are problems. 

The BSA means well, it's goals and mission and methods  have been proven worthwhile , if the carrying out has been faulty at times.   Humanity has been proven consistant in only one thing:   That it cannot, as a group, as a species,,,,  learn from its historical mistakes;  bad,  cruel, destructive history , as the philosopher has said, WILL be repeated, if it is not learned from.

Religion?  Atheism ?  Both human inventions.  Both are therefore not perfect, but we try.  

Like Marcellus Gallio (Richard Burton)  says in "The Robe",  Jesus cured the sick, made the blind to see, at least (implying Caesar  Caligula's implicit guilt) He didn't cripple or blind anyone.  

So one's loyalty can be to The State,   to your own humanity, and/or to some supernatural source for stuff we cannot ultimately explain, but darn it,  small miracles (if not big ones) do happen..... 

Merlyn, you want whipped cream with your Peach Cobbler?  

I am confident that all the proper rules are being followed.  I personally know the National Commodore and Sea Scout program director.

Techincally in the charter bylaws that are signed by congress from many years ago as the official charter org of National Scouting the wording is there that allows for religious discrimination.  I don't have it handy but I have seen it.  I don't agree with it personally, and in the camp of zero discrimination and allow any youth that wants to  scout the opportunity to do so.

As the former minister of the Charter Org from when I was a Scoutmaster once told me when the LBGTQ issue was hitting it's peak.  "Our Church believes that any youth that would like to be involved in the program.  We are here to serve the youth and the community"

I can't argue with him on that.

10 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

As the former minister of the Charter Org from when I was a Scoutmaster once told me when the LBGTQ issue was hitting it's peak.  "Our Church believes that any youth that would like to be involved in the program.  We are here to serve the youth and the community"

That's my experience too.  Scouters bend over backwards to help all.  

56 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

That's my experience too.  Scouters bend over backwards to help all.  

Yes, my experience is that Scouters welcome youth that want to be scouts. But while scouts had it's own complexity, the issue at the time was admitting adults.

Barry

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

I am confident that all the proper rules are being followed.  I personally know the National Commodore and Sea Scout program director.

Techincally in the charter bylaws that are signed by congress from many years ago as the official charter org of National Scouting the wording is there that allows for religious discrimination.

The BSA's rules and even 36 U.S. Code Chapter 309 (which doesn't mention religion at all) cannot conflict with the US constitution, which does not permit a part of the US government to have an official youth group that excludes people on the basis of religious belief.

This is the same situation where the BSA had to drop all public school charters for packs and troops.

Question to everyone pretending there's no problem: what happens when an atheist wants to join the CGAUX's official youth group?

The BSA has always said that atheists can't be members, period.  They get their membership revoked.

So what happens?