Sea Scouts is OFFICIALLY the youth program of US Coast Guard Auxiliary

Saw the announcement on Scouting Newsroom.   Not sure what kind of impact it may have on Sea Scout program other than, perhaps, to raise awareness within USCG Auxiliary.  Any thoughts from Sea Scouters?

https://www.scoutingnewsroom.org/press-releases/u-s-coast-guard-auxiliary-and-the-boy-scouts-of-america-announce-sea-scouts-as-the-auxiliarys-official-youth-program/ 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla was the Chartered Organization for my Ship in 1970's suburban Chicago.  I earned Quartermaster in what can only be described as a splendid Scouting unit.  The Auxiliar

Soon to be a Sea Scout ship... The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 8-11, District 5 Southern Region, is sponsoring the creation of a new Sea Scout unit in Smith Mountain Lake (V

So, I assume the Sea Scouts are allowing atheist members now, right?

Yep, this has been in the works for a while now.  It is a very good thing.  The CG Auxillary has a lot of excellent training and resources to help the youth and scouters in the program.

There are now a lot of older experienced mariners that will be able and willing to teach the youth excellent skills.

It really isn't about Coast Guard itself.  USCG Auxillary is a seperate entity than the CG.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

what program was that?

45 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:
  10 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Hmm... I don't know about this.  The last time the BSA became the official youth program of a group it didn't work out so well.

Hopefully this goes better.

We have another big thread about that program. I remember 106 years being mentioned.

The problem is recruiting and convincing teens that "messing about in boats"  is a worthwhile thing to do, along with soccer, wifi gaming, other sports,  etc. etc. 

2 hours ago, SSScout said:

We have another big thread about that program. I remember 106 years being mentioned.

The problem is recruiting and convincing teens that "messing about in boats"  is a worthwhile thing to do, along with soccer, wifi gaming, other sports,  etc. etc. 

If Parkman is comparing it to LDS, I dont see how these two relate.

But it did last 106 years

A Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla was the Chartered Organization for my Ship in 1970's suburban Chicago.  I earned Quartermaster in what can only be described as a splendid Scouting unit.  The Auxiliary members were our adult unit leaders.  Sea Scouts (called "Sea Explorers" for a brief period of time when temporarily combined with the Exploring program) and the Auxiliary was a perfect program combination then and can be again on a national basis.  Most of our Sea Scout alumni joined that Auxiliary Flotilla and became its source of new membership -- I think we had the youngest average age for an Auxiliary Flotilla because of that.  And, the Ship was able to benefit from existing opportunities to participate in boating activities with the Auxiliary without having to arrange the purchase and maintenance of very expensive boats and equipment.  This is an example of a very effective combination where each organization is bettered as a result.  The comparison to the LDS creating its own Venture Scout program and adapting the Boy Scout program to serve its religious and missionary preparation objectives is just not relevant.  The Coast Guard Auxiliary will assist the Sea Scout program as it is currently configured.  They will be a perfect national Chartering Organization.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Soon to be a Sea Scout ship...

5ddd74f5004e7.image.jpg?resize=750,563

The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 8-11, District 5 Southern Region, is sponsoring the creation of a new Sea Scout unit in Smith Mountain Lake (VA). The Flotilla will serve as the chartering organization and in partnership with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA).

More at source:

http://www.smithmountaineagle.com/boating_fishing_and_outdoors/article_5feed788-107d-11ea-83af-1bbd7c515077.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

NJ Sea Scouts refurbish Coast Guard 40's boat 

0aaaans9.jpg?w=490&h=343  old photo after CG 40450 out of service and before Sea Scouts refurbish.

...The founding Scouts met while camping at the Joseph Citta Scout camp in Barnegat and decided they wanted to form a local Sea Scout chapter of the Boy Scouts. The Sea Scouts is open to boys and girls. The numbers have grown to 15 registered members, and they meet twice a month, the second and fourth Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the Tuckerton Seaport’s Hunting Shanty.

Seven of the 15 registered members, ages 14 to 21, are already Eagle Scouts, but the others can work on their Eagle Scout ranking while in the Sea Scouts. Some of the Eagle Scouts are now working toward their Sea Scout Quartermaster rank.  Erin is already familiar with being on the water as her father was on the sailboat racing circuit, and Julianne takes part in the Navy Junior ROTC at her high school.

Skipper Murphey said the boat was donated in December by Frank Moran of Staten Island, who passed away a few weeks ago, but not before he had arranged for Dave Moran Towing (not a relative) to bring the boat down to Great Bay Marina. The cost to the scouts was zero. “Frank wanted it to go to the kids,” said Murphey.

The Scouts will supply the sweat equity to get the boat on the water in time for this summer, Murphey hopes by June. The owners of Great Bay Marina, Tom and Anna Paxton, donated the dry dock to the scouts, and when it’s ready for the water, Brad and Cheryl Bennett, owners of Stewart’s Drive-In in Tuckerton, have donated a slip for the boat on Tuckerton Creek. Murphey is excited to have the power boat, which has two GMC 671 diesel in-board motors, waiting for a boat mechanic to donate time.

Coast Guard Utility boat 40450 was built in 1951. It is just like boats that used to work out of Coast Guard Station 119, now the Rutgers University Marine Field Station at the end of Great Bay Boulevard in Little Egg Harbor, said Murphey. “They were called ’40 boats’ and did the patrolling and rescue missions all along the coast.”...

More infos and photos at source: 

https://www.thesandpaper.net/articles/sea-scouts-refurbish-coast-guard-boat/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
22 hours ago, Merlyn_LeRoy said:

So, I assume the Sea Scouts are allowing atheist members now, right?

Funny, I looked at your posts and there is a common theme about being against anyone that is an Atheist. Sea Scouts still has the same chartering requirements as other BSA units. We are also respectful of the youth and others in the program to ensure all are welcome in the most difficult age of their life. We do hold interfaith services if that answers your question. But I do not require them to participate in the service. 

Teenagers already have a lot to deal with now.  I do not have them declare a religious doctrine when they join. 

16 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Funny, I looked at your posts and there is a common theme about being against anyone that is an Atheist. Sea Scouts still has the same chartering requirements as other BSA units. We are also respectful of the youth and others in the program to ensure all are welcome in the most difficult age of their life. We do hold interfaith services if that answers your question. But I do not require them to participate in the service. 

Teenagers already have a lot to deal with now.  I do not have them declare a religious doctrine when they join. 

The BSA requires that every Sea Scout Ship excludes atheists, which is not something the US Coast Guard Auxiliary can do.

-------------

Here was my message to the Sea Scouts:

Can you please tell me if Sea Scout units chartered through the US Coast Guard Auxiliary admit atheists as members and/or leaders?

Thank you.

This was the reply:

As Sea Scouting is part of the Boy Scouts of America, regardless of Charter Partner (that would be the role of the CGAUX) they must still adhere to the BSA membership standard. However, if the unit is a Maritime Exploring Club there is no such requirement.

Fair winds,
Ron

Ron Blaisdell
National Communications & Technology Group
National Sea Scout Service Committee Member

-------------

Now, the above doesn't even square with the BSA's own material on who can charter a BSA unit:

https://scoutingwire.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Chartered-Organization-Resource-Guide_522-925_wb.pdf

In the section titled "Chartered Organization Code List" starting on page 125, it lists codes for various chartering organizations, and EVERY government organization has an asterisk, which is at the end of the list meaning "* Available to Learning for Life only"

Note this entry on page 126:

075 Coast Guard (Stations, Reserves and Auxiliaries)*

• Downvote 1