Scouting in Blighted Communities

4 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Another factor is Darwinian - those that can escape do so, leaving those who cannot.  Read  Night Comes to the Cumberlands: A Biography of a Depressed Area.

Another book that I found very insightful was Hillbilly Elegy by J.D Vance. Strikes close to home for me, as I live in the area near where Vance grew up. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that you have swallowed the bait. We Southerners have always used a slow speech pattern to deceive carpetbaggers into underestimating us while we separated them from their money and women

I've always thought that underdeveloped rural areas face many of the same challenges as impoverished inner city areas. Crime, drugs, poor schools, broken families and few economic opportunities. As ot

A fool's errand?  Of course it is. So when has that ever stopped us? I've been a part of such an attempt twice, once in a poor part of Maryland (tobacco fields and 20 year old pickups), once in a

@Onslow, my guess is you're getting a response you didn't expect. Hang in there, you're at least trying. It sounds like this culture you're seeing is new to you. Don't be so quick to judge. Keep listening and watching. There is goodness everywhere. If there's anyone that needs scouts it's these kids in the town you're describing. Nobody else is trying. So it would be great if you would.

To those that see this as the usual tribalism in our country at the moment, all I can say is never waste a problem.

• Upvote 1

I would start with recruiting at least a small cadre of adults before recruiting scouts.  You need engaged adults to help shoulder the burden or you will burn out quickly.  Get your leadership together and then start reaching out.  As someone who lives in a rural(ish) area with, as kids say, "nothing to do",  offer a vibrant program that dovetails into the rural culture.  Be willing to bend your vision to meet the community at least half way. 

Oh, and get your program out there --- newspaper articles, Facebook page, IG, etc.  <--- Kids are very social these days. 

• Like 1

I have no disdain for youth or people of any given geographic area.  However, we all should have disdain for lifestyle choices that adversely affect the physical and mental health and development of youth.  If one does not, perhaps he or she should reconsider their place in scouting.

Many of the factors described by the OP in the first post, and then clarified as lifestyle choices are very prevalent in wealthy areas. The only difference is those with $ are able to hide it better and (unfortunately) the myth persists that those with wealth must have worked hard for it and the poor are lazy.  In many wealthy areas, drug use by adults abounds, and broken homes are the norm too. In no areas are the kids responsible for where they were born and to whom. Yes they have choices too, but they are still kids. 

• Upvote 2
On 11/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, TAHAWK said:

The  "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" movie "Deliverance" predates the current constitutional crisis by some decades. 

One might recall how President Carter was ragged on by the Eastern and Western elites of his own party until, in his old age, he became a leading attacker of Bush the Younger.

One would think that if working with certain people is terrifying, you would simply not do it.  

I not terrified of the people, but the challenge. Working in these environs will be emotionally taxing, and very depressing.  Tangible success will be essential for the sake of sanity, and there is no path to success....more like bushwacking a rhodo thicket.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:16 PM, Onslow said:

I would like to hear from those who have first hand experience running units in poor rural areas where ignorance is a badge of honor,  families are mostly broken,  most adults are drug users.  Oh, did I mention cliquish because everyone is related.

Let me rewrite the first paragraph of your original post to maybe help you see how offensive it is.

I would like to hear from those who have first hand experience running units in poor intercity areas where ignorance is a badge of honor, families are mostly broken, most adults are drug users.  Oh, did I mention cliquish because everyone has a gang affiliation.

If our mods had an ounce of courage, your post would have been deleted.  But bigotry against the "deplorables" is apparently an acceptable practice.

Edited by walk in the woods
Typo
23 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

If our mods had an ounce of courage, your post would have been deleted.  But bigotry against the "deplorables" is apparently an acceptable practice.

If I thought the post was disingenuous I would have.  The OP is in a unfamiliar environment and in need of skills to succeed or reconsideration of his involvement. IMO. the instructive, scoutlike discussion by multiple members  which followed was a  better solution to the insensitivity  and prejudice expressed by OP. 

This does not always work  but we try to help first. 

@desertrat77 , @MattR

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Let me rewrite ... If our mods had an ounce of courage, your post would have been deleted.  But bigotry against the "deplorables" is apparently an acceptable practice.

Censorship for political correctness does no good. Depending on the mod, your indignance might be muzzled -- such requests most always end badly. The OP is a scouter who boldly states his biases. You think he's wrong, but he doesn't seem to think so. If this is some flight of fancy of some DE, he may be be spot on. If some members of the target community have been asking for such a program, he may indeed be allowing his worst-case perceptions to get the better of him. Either his perception of the situation or the situation itself is the obstacle. (We've seen both on this forum.) We've more to gain from guiding the OP through that than we have demanding he not say those mean things.

I speak as an erstwhile deplorable.

My more recent observations have been that the rural venturing crews in our area have been more successful than the urban and suburban ones.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

@Onslow, it sounds like you feel you may be seen as an outsider. If that's the case, you need to get your boots on the ground and get to know a few of the folks in the target community. Ideally these would be people who have kids or grandkids in the age group you'd be working with.

20 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

I'm a rural DE. Supporting scout units is what I do (or at least try to do). Anything specific you need help with?

On 11/16/2019 at 12:26 PM, ParkMan said:

Ok - gotcha.  Can you please provide some additional context here?

How are you faced with this question?  Are you an existing unit volunteer who is struggling to make it work?  Are you exploring the idea of starting a new program?  Do you currently live in an area like this? 

I get the impression that you are either very frustrated or simply unhappy about challenges of the area you live in.  Any particular context you can add here?

Thanks!

@Onslow,  please answer the above questions as to your scouting position and what help you need with that position.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

If I thought the post was disingenuous I would have.  The OP is in a unfamiliar environment and in need of skills to succeed or reconsideration of his involvement. IMO. the instructive, scoutlike discussion by multiple members  which followed was a  better solution to the insensitivity  and prejudice expressed by OP. 

This does not always work  but we try to help first. 

@desertrat77 , @MattR

I concur 100 percent with @RememberSchiff.

If I may add, I believe the OP is also striving for a humorous tone.  As we know, humor may or may not translate well in written communication.  As RememberSchiff said, the scoutlike discussion that has followed is a better solution.

PS I'm a rural scouter myself.

Edited by desertrat77

I've lived in rural areas most of my life.  I now live in a very small town.  Being a rural dweller signifies nothing, and many rural people are successful in rural areas, or move to the cities, and become successful.  Rural folk are neither monochromatic or monolithic.  People in rural areas tend to be related in communities that are stable.  Nothing evil there, it's just the way things are.  However, an outsider may never be accepted or welcome.  I thought this was common knowledge, and not offensive.  Some rural areas are ravaged by people who have chosen to play with drugs, bed hop, and refuse to do their homework at school.  Some rural folk grieve over the poor choices people make, and become emotional and very upset.  This is life.  Inserting race and politics in the conversation is unfortunate, and serves no purpose.

Mods, If I could terminate my account I would.  I'm done here.  It would be greatly appreciated if my account would be terminated.