Frugal Backcountry Cleanliness

22 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Usually, I bring wet wipes for this purpose. This link got me wondering if packing a peri-bottle or travel bidet would be able to replace toilet paper entirely. They don't weigh much and you obviously don't need to use filtered water. Has anyone tried it?

Travel bidet? I'm still working on adopting the metric system, but thanks for the Christmas gift suggestion for Mrs. Schiff. :D

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

The "smearing" or "frosting" technique shows a complete understanding of the principles when used appropriately. And a complete misunderstanding when not. I do not include it in my basic LNT instruction as it is suitable only in environments where those new to backcountry camping are not (or should not) be venturing yet. 

Precisely!

LNT is not "rules". It's about making the right call because you UNDERSTAND the environment around you. The guidelines are starting points for discussion about what to do in different situations. 

One of the 7 LNT guidelines is "Dispose of waste properly".  That means different things at different times in different places: The challenge is to have appropriate discussions so we think about what we're doing and why it's "right" or "wrong".  You are completely correct that some techniques (like "smearing") are best left until an appropriate situation arises and the participants are of an appropriate skill and experience level.

There are a few species of moss (I do not know the names) which make fantastic TP. It is like using a wet-wipe. One species in particular my paddling partner and I call "the clean get-a-way"  (from the  commercial). This allows us to not have to burn used TP in areas which require it.

1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

There are a few species of moss (I do not know the names) which make fantastic TP. It is like using a wet-wipe. One species in particular my paddling partner and I call "the clean get-a-way"  (from the  commercial). This allows us to not have to burn used TP in areas which require it.

Very interesting.

I've always sought out the leaves of sycamore trees because they have a soft, velvety feel. Sycamore leaves are like Charmin Ultra compared to the rougher, thinner leaves of other trees. 

• Upvote 1

Natural sponges allow a "sponge bath" that is very refreshing, even using only water.  They are costly compared to cellulose sponges, but they are Sooooo soft and last (I have three purchased at a Kroger in 1966 - still work fine,)  Rarely,  if it seems needed, I add a couple of drops of detergent, and rinse off with a canteen of water.   😊

On 11/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, mrkstvns said:

That site has some good discussion!

I like that he gets into situations like how to hard-pack a platform so you can take off skis or snowshoes in the winter, how sand is more of a sterile environment (not biologically rich) so less suitable than a hole in the forest, and how you can "roll a rock" in a hard-baked surface.  

I was sort of thinking he might discuss the "smear technique", which might be useful in a very rocky, arid area --- you just do your business on top of the rocks, then take a stick and smear it around on the rocks. The idea is that while there's no bio action to break down your waste, there is plenty of sun that can do the job for you.  

Skurka is an expert on backpacking and his site has lots of good info.

Edited by 69RoadRunner