National Leadership, Surbaugh Leave of Absense

17 hours ago, SSScout said:

*Ahem*   Any news on Scouter Surbaugh ? 

*crickets*

That man saw the writing on the wall and quietly got the hell out of Dodge. A decade or less...

Edited by jpb6583
spelling
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I certenly wish no Ill will on our former BSA CEO, and pray for his complete recovery. I also question the necessity of having such a huge machine devouring tangible resources.  A lot of very unpopula

Instead of viewing it as reducing bureaucracy at the Council and National levels,  view it as restoring TRUST in unit volunteers. Train'em, trust 'em and maybe even treat them as adults.   Some t

I'd love to see them bring in someone from the outside for this.  The organization is at a critical juncture.  Rather than tapping someone in the system, it would be better to have the absolute best p

34 minutes ago, jpb6583 said:

*crickets*

That man saw the writing on the wall and quietly got the hell out of Dodge. A decade or less...

I wouldn't feed a rumor mill.

I will say that as our SE he was not one to take a sick day. Nor was he one to shy away from tough issues.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, carebear3895 said:

Looks like y'all may be getting your wish. The new CSE is expected to come from outside the Profession. 

I have long thought that any organization where virtually everyone in it has been in that organization and that organization alone since they were in their twenties is going to be weaker as a result.  Every organization needs folks who have seen other challenges and other solutions, been exposed to different ideas, had to design and implement different organizational schema..  The BSA model's for selection of leaders is stuck in the seventies.  There's probably no organization of comparable size that uses this model.

• Upvote 1

The BSA needs new professional leadership.  The professional staff, above the DE level, has become insular and tone deaf, completely disengaged from the nuts and bolts of unit level scouting.

And gold loop business/management/accounting/communication/human relation/budgeting skills?  Atrocious. 

"Sell more popcorn" they tell the units.

National didn't sell one tin of popcorn before they pawned Philmont.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

National didn't sell one tin of popcorn before they pawned Philmont.

But they are marketing Family Adventure Camps. ..How will you Philmont?

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2019/12/philmonts-family-adventure-camp-lets-everybody-in-on-the-fun/

P.S. Pawning Philmont does not appear on article  "A Philmont Timeline". :confused:

22 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

The BSA model's for selection of leaders is stuck in the seventies.  There's probably no organization of comparable size that uses this model.

Stuck in the 70's...try the middle ages.  BSA has been succession by the royal heir that survived the intrigue in the kingdom.  The leader is not the one who can lead and move the BSA to greater heights, it's the best politician who can make backroom deals.  No challengers or boat rockers allowed.  Also no outside ideas.  Must.Drink.The.Kool.Aid

We can all see how great this model has worked out in Congress and Federal Agencies.

5 hours ago, carebear3895 said:

Looks like y'all may be getting your wish. The new CSE is expected to come from outside the Profession. 

From your lips to the volunteers ears.  This would shake up some underlings

14 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

But they are marketing Family Adventure Camps. ..How will you Philmont?

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2019/12/philmonts-family-adventure-camp-lets-everybody-in-on-the-fun/

P.S. Pawning Philmont does not appear on article  "A Philmont Timeline". :confused:

True, the family camps are high quality with great staff.  However, sign ups were extremely low this last summer (sorry I don't have exact numbers).   Even with a significant increase in family sign ups, the fees would barely cover costs.

Edited to add:  I'm shocked--shocked--they didn't mention hocking Philmont!  🤕

Edited by desertrat77
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, carebear3895 said:

IMHO, if the BSA  goes Chapter 11, the BSA appointing an  outside, "responsible person" * as CEO (CSE) will not fly.  Following the Bankruptcy Code, a court will appoint an independent Chapter 11 trustee.  This may explain the year-long "considering bankruptcy",  BSA executives are trying to maintain control (organization destiny and their jobs) during bankruptcy.  All companies want to do this, but ... You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you find. You get what you need.  

* Who is Responsible here?  "Responsible Persons" in Chapter 11 Cases

https://www.justice.gov/archive/ust/articles/docs/2008/abi_200805.pdf

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, if the BSA  goes Chapter 11, the BSA appointing an  outside, "responsible person" * as CEO (CSE) will not fly.  Following the Bankruptcy Code, a court will appoint an independent Chapter 11 trustee.  This may explain the year-long "considering bankruptcy",  BSA executives are trying to maintain control (organization destiny and their jobs) during bankruptcy.  All companies want to do this, but ... You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you find. You get what you need.  

* Who is Responsible here?  "Responsible Persons" in Chapter 11 Cases

https://www.justice.gov/archive/ust/articles/docs/2008/abi_200805.pdf

My $0.02,

Good Lord we've started quoting the Rolling Stones to help explain what the BSA executives may be up to.

I did not see that coming :rolleyes:

• Haha 4
On 12/16/2019 at 4:03 PM, carebear3895 said:

I’m starting to hear rumors that there will be more changes at National after the year end and work will start transferring to councils.  Not sure what work but should be interesting to see where this goes.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:18 PM, T2Eagle said:

I have long thought that any organization where virtually everyone in it has been in that organization and that organization alone since they were in their twenties is going to be weaker as a result.  Every organization needs folks who have seen other challenges and other solutions, been exposed to different ideas, had to design and implement different organizational schema..  The BSA model's for selection of leaders is stuck in the seventies.  There's probably no organization of comparable size that uses this model.

Procter & Gamble, a 185 year plus Fortune 50 company, has always promoted from within.  Still does. Some say it is outdated, and some don't.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:49 PM, Eagle1993 said:

I’m starting to hear rumors that there will be more changes at National after the year end and work will start transferring to councils.  Not sure what work but should be interesting to see where this goes.

Scouts Canada tried that. They reached out for a CEO to private enterprise and recruited a new leader for the challenging times.  She had new ideas.  Good speaker.   The bureaucrats and grey backs, who rarely agree about anything, resisted her ideas and proved to be more than she wanted to deal with, and she resigned after a few months.

4 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

Scouts Canada tried that. They reached out for a CEO to private enterprise and recruited a new leader for the challenging times.  She had new ideas.  Good speaker.   The bureaucrats and grey backs, who rarely agree about anything, resisted her ideas and proved to be more than she wanted to deal with, and she resigned after a few months.

That just means we'll have to make a lot of encouraging noise. I'm in.