Appropriate Insignia UNDER Right Pocket?

I looked at the Insignia Guidelines, but the only thing that jumps out at me as belonging under a right pocket is a Recruiter strip.

Are there other types of patches that belong there?  What would they be?

I ask because I saw a picture of a scout working on a service project and he had a very complex set of patches with multiple rings placed under his right pocket.  I hadn't seen that done before and had no idea what kind of patches they were.

Thoughts?  Pointers to "official" uniform practices?

image.png.6a26d6fca320da23eb71c298648e20cc.png

Those are summer camp patches and segments (Tomahawk Camp I think). Nothing belongs below the pockets on the right side except for Recruiter. AOL allowed on the left.

Edited by TMSM
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, SteveMM said:

Well that's a complete nightmare.  😵

Darn it Steve, you made me laugh so hard that I spewed coffee all over my keyboard and monitor!

I kinda feel guilty being critical of any youth's decisions about how to wear his uniform, but I gotta agree with you. That mess really puts the UGH into UGLY.

• Upvote 2
46 minutes ago, SteveMM said:

Well that's a complete nightmare.  😵

I am very particular about everything being correct on my uniform, and will counsel one of my own scouts if they put something in the wrong place on theirs.  Something like this I would just shake my head, breathe deeply, and let it go.  This sort of thing is why the insignia guide says that temporary patches should not exceed the size of the pocket.  I guess they did not think about someone putting something this extreme under the pocket.

6 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Those look like old Cub Scout segments (do a thing, get a segment, probably 2004, 2005, 2006 ish?).

Also looks like a Jr. Ranger National Park thing on the left pocket flap.

Some councils and camps start out with the normal size patch that you center on the pocket, and then offer those segments for different activities and or events you participate in.  My council camp when I was a scout offered those rockers to go around your standard summer camp patch, indicating the number of years you attended, and also if you did multiple weeks the same year.  if you took off the mess on the bottom (has to be an uncomfortable shirt to wear) and what ever that is above the left pocket, it is a good looking shirt.

Yeah, I'd tell the SPL to count -1 for each segment not on the left pocket. The pants aren't standard issue either. So, this scout would bring his patrol down. But, if he's leading an awesome service project, nobody would mind losing inspection to a more meticulous but less ambitious patrol.

Those are patches & segments from Tomahawk Scout Reservation.  Our troop promotes the segments for our boys - it gets them out of the campsite & trying things that they might not do without the opportunity of earning a segment (like the 5k rootbeer run).  It's also a bit of bragging rights too - there's some very competitive scouts that try for the highest total each year.  Now how they wear the segments...that's a different matter.  The majority of our boys wear them as pictured in the OP - the middle patch is their first year at Tomahawk, surrounded by all the segments they've earned so far.  I've seen quite a few from other Tomahawk troops that wear them on the back of their MB sash.  It definitely clutters up the shirt, but it's also been a great jump off point for conversations when meeting scouts from other troops.  

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

There is a council near me that uses segments.  They seem to encourage it for older Scouts (in troops) - not just Cub Scouts (usually worn on the red brag vest).  If I remember correctly, they wear it in the temporary patch spot on the right pocket - basically counting the center patch and all segments as the temporary patch.

"Aye, it be more like a guide than rules...."

Counsel the Scout, help him find a way to show his pride in accomplishment.  Back ofMB sash?  Red Jacshirt?  Many Cub Scouts of my time had the same trouble showing off all the Arrow Points we earned. They were supposed to be sewn (!!) below the Wolf/Bear/Lion diamond, as appropriate, but that downline could go right down into a young Cubs pants....

We had a Scout in our Troop that sewed his own patches, was very proud of learning how . He earned a dozen Merit Badges, and sewed them on his sash, but did so as to hang them upside down over his RIGHT shoulder.  He had some ADHD issues, and the rest of his uni was okay, so no one ever corrected him.  His parents counseled not to correct him, so we didn't.  He made Star before he dropped. 

22 hours ago, qwazse said:

Yeah, I'd tell the SPL to count -1 for each segment not on the left pocket. The pants aren't standard issue either. So, this scout would bring his patrol down. But, if he's leading an awesome service project, nobody would mind losing inspection to a more meticulous but less ambitious patrol.

Our troop doesn't do inspections and isn't particular about shorts or pants, other than telling the boys that they have to actually wear shorts or pants.  We'd prefer they were green or at LEAST khaki, but don't say much if a Scout shows up wearing his uniform shirt with basketball shorts.  At least they're showing up, right?  With that said, a Scout would be counseled if he showed up with that bullseye below his pocket.

Edited by SteveMM

I get the whole "it's just good he's active and participating.  The uniform is just a method" concept.

But, I really think Scouts miss out on an important concept about how to present themselves well.  To me, that's a big part of what the uniform method is all about.

• Like 2

@SteveMM, full disclosure: our PLC has been "planning" to do inspections for two years. :confused:

Until that time, I will point out at boards of reviews, SM conferences, and ceremonies about how to look sharp. Since uniform police has become pejorative in some circles, I've told the older scouts to just call me the local insignia dork. I do agree with @ParkMan in that I want the scouts to be intentional about how they present themselves. So, I try to bring up deviations from the Insignia Guide -- including my own -- in a kind and courteous manner. I want the scouts to know there's a balance between a uniform that tells your scouting story and one that distracts from tasks at hand.

But, none of that keeps scouts from showing up shoddy. The bottom line to my SPL: if you don't inspect, don't expect.

I'm actually quite proud that all of our new patrols have their flags made. I figure my next move is to make a totem for the sharpest looking patrol.

• Like 2