On 11/5/2019 at 10:01 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Got criticized by the "CC" that hasnt turned in an app yet and has been no help the last few months over me helping Den Leaders.  Most of em are new or really inexperienced with Scoutbook so I have been contacting parents and trying to help the DLs out till I can sit down and show them how to navigate SB.  I don't know how helping could be a bad thing.

It was the straw... I am finished.  I am going to fill out a new adult app as Unit Scouter Reserve.  I will take my kid to Den Meetings and sit there and watch from here on out.

@5thGenTexan, I'm sorry to hear this.  Sounds like the other scouters didn't respect your wishes.

I certainly understand your desire to step back.  As mentioned, I've persevered in situations like this "for the good of scouting" and in the long run it wasn't worth the effort and stress.

Being in a rural area, is it safe to assume many of the other scouters are going to be in their respective positions for awhile?

3 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

@5thGenTexan, I'm sorry to hear this.  Sounds like the other scouters didn't respect your wishes.

I certainly understand your desire to step back.  As mentioned, I've persevered in situations like this "for the good of scouting" and in the long run it wasn't worth the effort and stress.

Being in a rural area, is it safe to assume many of the other scouters are going to be in their respective positions for awhile?

I went to Roundtable tonight so I was able to speak to people in person.  Always better than email of FB Messenger. :)

This is my third year, but I have made enough of an impact that District level people know who I am.  I talked to the District Membership Chair tonight and she really encouraged me to reconsider.  I think all I have to do is ask and I will have a Unit Commission at my beck and call to help out.  We also have people on our Committee that have been involved locally in Scouting for a long time.  One really wants me to reconsider because she thinks that unlike many, I do have the heart to be a good leader.

I am supposed to have a Den Leader Meeting after Den Meetings this week to go over Scoutbook and things.  I am thinking it might be a better use of time to set expectations and explain what I need to happen.  I can't have DLs not showing up at all or letting me know an hour before meetings that they are not going to make it because its their birthday.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE: 

Before Christmas there was a meeting between the former CC, the incoming CC, and myself.  We talked for an hour, aired complaints, and left the meeting able to at least work together on a friendly basis.  In yesterday's Committee meeting we pretty much told the Den Leaders they had to be there and encouraged parents to attend.  We got all the committee positions filled by people that are not me and it was explained I am not doing everything anymore.

Also, I have been trying to do a better job of telling the Den Leaders what I need for them to do and pass on to their parents.  We had a Christmas party before school let out in mid December and I gathered them before we started and told em the station plans and it was on them to run it,  I had other things to do.   I am making a significant effort at delegating rather than just  doing it myself to make sure it gets done like in the past.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3