Back in the day, we acted shadow creatures using a white sheet and flashlights...or  watched the stars. 

Recently, ten scouts and three leaders from two local Scouts BSA Troops from Montgomery, Alabama embarked on an overnight canoeing adventure,” explained McNew. “We were canoeing part of the Coosa River, which is a local whitewater river in Wetumpka, Ala., and camping on an island. The rule in our troops on normal campouts is that if it's not warm enough to play manhunt in the evening or at night near our campsite, then I’ll show a movie instead…

On this particular occasion, McNew explained that since the clearing on the island was so small and they were all packed in so close to the fire pit, there was no way to safely have a campfire, nor room to have a campfire program.

So, instead, an old bed sheet was tied between two trees and two wireless speakers were tied to the trees on either side of the screen so we could watch a movie,” McNew said. “The wireless speakers work so much better than other options in a remote situation like this as there is no discernible lag in audio and they provide true stereo sound. ...Everyone enjoyed watching the movie before heading off to bed. Simple set up and simple tear down.”

McNew added that during another recent shakedown hike leading up to his troop’s Philmont trek this summer, he decided to add about three pounds to each Scout's pack to account for some of the crew gear that they would have to carry this summer. “Each time we hiked about nine miles on the Pine Mountain Trail in Georgia with each Scout carrying one of the following: one of five speakers with a battery, the projector, the tripod, or the screen with a battery to power the projector,” McNew explained. “The Scouts were more than happy to carry the extra weight knowing that they'd be watching a movie that night. So we were in a backcountry campsite at least a mile from the nearest other campers with the speakers at full volume surrounding the Scouts watching the movie...

:confused:

Source:

https://www.twice.com/the-wire/boy-scouts-of-america-troop-goes-skaa-wireless-when-with-mother-nature

• Sad 1

Followed the link.

Seems to me that this 'story' is nothing more than an advertisement for Skaa Speakers.  Not only does the SM extol their virtues, but this in not an actual news site, but a trade website, pushing a product.  

I agree with @malraux, in that a one time thing is fine, but not every time it is too cold for manhunt.  Besides, this is an Alabama troop.  How often is it cold enough that scouts would not be able to run and chase?

Yes I omitted product references in OP.  I found "story" while researching weather-rated, wireless speakers for my security system.  

"Too cold for a manhunt" and "speakers at full volume" in the back-country perplexes me. 

• Thanks 1

I am not against bringing tech along for safety or to supplement our outdoor program,, however I have a problem bringing a home entertainment system along.

If the PLC came up with this idea or other tech ideas (solar panel to recharge phones, ham radio, weather station, game cameras on an outing), IMHO it would have to be within the Outdoor Code, specifically Be considerate in the Outdoors

Another $0.02 from an old fogey who listens to owls ,

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarity
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

Besides, this is an Alabama troop.  How often is it cold enough that scouts would not be able to run and chase?

The highpoint in Alabama is Cheaha Mountain in the northeastern part of the state.  Average temps in January are 48/27.  Not cold by any stretch but if you spend most of your days on the Gulf Coast it could be challenging.

12 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Not cold by any stretch but if you spend most of your days on the Gulf Coast it could be challenging.

East coast of central Florida here.  We 27 a couple of years ago when staffing an OA ordeal weekend, and it did not slow them down a bit.  I on the other hand, wore a long sleeve t-shirt, BSA zip up hoodie, and the red wool jac-shirt.

Well let's see now....  

• Plan ahead and prepare.   yep. Who does what when.  Gain agreement for desired result. Spread the load.  But what if someone doesn't like the idea of carrying batteries?
  • Travel and camp on durable surfaces.    Yep.  Seems okay here.
  • Dispose of waste properly.  yep.  Carry out what they carried in, I'm sure.
  • Leave what you find.   Yep. Not an issue here. Not mentioned. 
  • Minimize campfire impacts (be careful with fire).   Too small a space to have a campfire? The presumption is that they are cooking on backpacking stoves.  Fire wood collection might be a consideration. But there is space enough to set up a theater ? 
  • Respect wildlife.   Won't have any wildlife nearby with theater quality speakers at 100% volume, uh huh.  Maybe if they show Over the Hedge?
  • Be considerate of other visitors.  Charge admission for the theater?  Look for other campfires in the neighborhood.?  Gray area to me.....
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Back in the day, we acted shadow creatures using a white sheet and flashlights...or  watched the stars. 

Recently, ten scouts and three leaders from two local Scouts BSA Troops from Montgomery, Alabama embarked on an overnight canoeing adventure,” explained McNew. “We were canoeing part of the Coosa River, which is a local whitewater river in Wetumpka, Ala., and camping on an island. The rule in our troops on normal campouts is that if it's not warm enough to play manhunt in the evening or at night near our campsite, then I’ll show a movie instead…

On this particular occasion, McNew explained that since the clearing on the island was so small and they were all packed in so close to the fire pit, there was no way to safely have a campfire, nor room to have a campfire program.

So, instead, an old bed sheet was tied between two trees and two wireless speakers were tied to the trees on either side of the screen so we could watch a movie,” McNew said. “The wireless speakers work so much better than other options in a remote situation like this as there is no discernible lag in audio and they provide true stereo sound. ...Everyone enjoyed watching the movie before heading off to bed. Simple set up and simple tear down.”

McNew added that during another recent shakedown hike leading up to his troop’s Philmont trek this summer, he decided to add about three pounds to each Scout's pack to account for some of the crew gear that they would have to carry this summer. “Each time we hiked about nine miles on the Pine Mountain Trail in Georgia with each Scout carrying one of the following: one of five speakers with a battery, the projector, the tripod, or the screen with a battery to power the projector,” McNew explained. “The Scouts were more than happy to carry the extra weight knowing that they'd be watching a movie that night. So we were in a backcountry campsite at least a mile from the nearest other campers with the speakers at full volume surrounding the Scouts watching the movie...

:confused:

Source:

https://www.twice.com/the-wire/boy-scouts-of-america-troop-goes-skaa-wireless-when-with-mother-nature

Don't quite understand this sentence "the rule in our troops on normal campouts is that if it's not warm enough to play manhunt in the evening or at night near our campsite, then I’ll show a movie instead…"

It's never too cold to play manhunt. It can be too warm to play manhunt.  I will admit, we have watched a movie as a troop at a campout. It was a hot, rainy night (84 degrees or so with 95% humidity at 8 at night), and was actually too hot to play manhunt or almost any other outdoor game.  

2 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Followed the link.

Seems to me that this 'story' is nothing more than an advertisement for Skaa Speakers.  Not only does the SM extol their virtues, but this in not an actual news site, but a trade website, pushing a product.  

I agree with @malraux, in that a one time thing is fine, but not every time it is too cold for manhunt.  Besides, this is an Alabama troop.  How often is it cold enough that scouts would not be able to run and chase?

In Alabama, it's never too cold for manhunt.  It can be too warm for it, though.  

• Haha 1

"The rule in our troops on normal campouts is that if it's not warm enough to play manhunt in the evening or at night near our campsite, then I’ll show a movie instead."

I realize this is an advertisement article, but this sentence says it all --- they do this regularly.  Our troop allows phones and other tech while driving to a campsite or outing, but once we arrive everything is collected and locked away.  There's a reason for this -- we don't want them watching movies or playing games.  This troop, apparently, facilitates it.

Edited by SteveMM

My happy places ban motorized vehicles (including drones -- well technically they could fly over, but not be launched, landed, or operated from within the area).

So, if you bring the theater, does that mean you have to skip the car chase scenes?

4 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

East coast of central Florida here.  We 27 a couple of years ago when staffing an OA ordeal weekend, and it did not slow them down a bit.  I on the other hand, wore a long sleeve t-shirt, BSA zip up hoodie, and the red wool jac-shirt.

Yup, 27f for the high could be tough.  

We have shown movies on campouts to our ship.  They were binding events that brought the kids together.  I suggest the movie "Morning Light"  it is a documentary about college age youth training and racing a sailboat in the Trans-pac race.  They used it to build up as a team.