A Failure to Communicate ?

Hard Merit Badges…   led me to remember when certain skills were REQUIRED for rank (First Class in this case) that are now "merely"  a Merit Badge, to think about those "old timey" skills (knife and axe? Fire building/safety?  ropes and knots?  Cooking?  )

Once upon a time, SIGNALING was required in First class.  Morse Code, semaphore,  wig wag (Morse again),  sun mirrors,  

Here ya go, which is faster, cleaner, more accurate?   ::: www.rfcafe.com/miscellany/cool-videos/jay-leno-tonight-show-morse-code-text-message-sms-contest.htm  

I remember being at the beach with friends, and suddenly realizing that the lifeguards were using semaphore to TALK to each other!  Subjects were varied, but ultimately predictable.  Dumb tourists, break times,  hottie chicks/bikinis (or lack of),  wave patterns, is that  a shark or dolphin??,  beer appointments, lalala….  Knowledge is power, usage leads to facility. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Once upon a time, SIGNALING was required in First class.  Morse Code, semaphore,  wig wag (Morse again),  sun mirrors,  

Remember that well.  I chose to use semaphore for my First Class requirement.