Discouraged: A Very Poor Call Out Ceremony

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As some may know, I have been in the OA for a long time. I have served as an executive board member as a youth, and as an adviser in multiple lodges. Even when I stepped down as chapter adviser to foc

Pure desperation on the OA's part.  The lodge's actions are completely contrary to everything we've be taught about our Order. What would E. Urner Goodman and Carroll Edson say if they saw the OA

That is what might happen if you overcorrect to solve problems.  Add to it the misunderstanding of many regarding OA and Native American cultures, and you end up with the proverbial milk-toast.  I hav

The OA is a group of young people, and I dont intend to regurgitate the age thing.  This group absolutly and completly belong to its youthful members. Adults guide, advise, and support those young people, and help them facilitate their activities.  I "cringe" whenever an adult, especially when that adult is a spectator, criticize the efforts of lodge members.  Many, many, many claim that their units are youth run but in reality many, many, many units only do face service to the idea of a youth run program. The OA actually is a youth run program where even the advisors have only a limited influence on decision making.  I say that to emphasize that good or not so good ahat they do is done by the kids, with the kids, and for the kids.  If someone, especially an adult, that concern may be brought to the attention of the Lodge Advisor who can address the issue with the Lodge Executive Committee who are youth members elected by youth members.  The hardest job of being a Lodge Advisor is keeping other adults from influencing the Lodge Executive Committee.

2 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

The OA is a group of young people, and I dont intend to regurgitate the age thing.  This group absolutly and completly belong to its youthful members. Adults guide, advise, and support those young people, and help them facilitate their activities.  I "cringe" whenever an adult, especially when that adult is a spectator, criticize the efforts of lodge members. ... The OA actually is a youth run program where even the advisors have only a limited influence on decision making....

Actually the national OA committee, when they made the decision to no longer allow Native American Themed Arrow of Light and Cross Over Ceremonies consisted of 63 people. Only 3 were Youth. The rest were adults. The 3 consisted of the National Chief, National Vice Chief, and one other youth.  So only 4.8% of the committee were youth.

And when one of those members was pressed to comment on the changes, he stated "No Commented." and walked away. I don't think the youth wanted the change.

Well, to be totaly Frank, if our LEC wants to do crossovers in regalia, I believe that I could figure a way to do it.  As it is we are fortunate to have a native American who is in charge of our indian affairs. If someone asks he shows up in his tribal clothing and does a great job.  I'm not even going to entertain the idea that some committee has any business telling him what he can do.  In fact, whatever he does is right and correct, and not even open to criticism.