I guess the prohibition of skydiving as a scouting activity might seem obvious. But when I was a BSA Scuba Explorer back in the 70s, scuba diving was ranked as the 2nd most dangerous activity behind skydiving. Like scuba diving,  skydiving is much safer now than it was then. 

Barry

31 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Because dropping my scouts over blades spinning 100x the RPMs of my lawn mower, albeit separated by a metal grate, seems like a rational thing to do.

I'll note that the article in the OP is not about a crew going on a skydiving adventure. It's about what should be on the list of destinations for anyone who might enjoy skydiving. This is actually what I want venturers to be doing. After whatever BSA-confined super-activity we may try, I may mention a "next-level challenge", and hope that some of them "take the bait" and ask me for details, I then give them some links or phone numbers to call, they do more research, discover the array of possibilities that could open up for them in the next decade or so, and present a report on them.

Prepared for Life ... it's what we offer.

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2019 at 7:59 AM, qwazse said:

Because dropping my scouts over blades spinning 100x the RPMs of my lawn mower, albeit separated by a metal grate, seems like a rational thing to do.

I'll note that the article in the OP is not about a crew going on a skydiving adventure. It's about what should be on the list of destinations for anyone who might enjoy skydiving. This is actually what I want venturers to be doing. After whatever BSA-confined super-activity we may try, I may mention a "next-level challenge", and hope that some of them "take the bait" and ask me for details, I then give them some links or phone numbers to call, they do more research, discover the array of possibilities that could open up for them in the next decade or so, and present a report on them.

Prepared for Life ... it's what we offer.

Actually the fan is located ABOVE the person with the air ducted down the side and under the diver. This also protects the fan from objects dropping in and damaging the motor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, memories.   

I once dated a lovely, intelligent, fun to be with girl.  I first picked her up for our dates in a car, then asked her if she'd mind traveling by motorcycle, as I had just bought a Suzuki GT550.  Nice machine, smooth, comfortable with the fairing....

She said her brother had been badly injured in a motorcycle accident, no, she wanted nothing to do with motorcycles, far too dangerous. The next time I asked her out, she demurred, because she had signed up to take skydiving lessons...…