BREAKING - Fee Increase Numbers

59 minutes ago, MacBrave said:

Our council's method of "fee assistance"?   A one-time special popcorn sale with a 75% commission.  Of course units have to order the popcorn in advance and hope they can sell it.........

When money is needed the answer is ALWAYS sell more popcorn.  It's certainly not a solution, but it is the required response from the councils.  Turn your kids into hucksters....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This just in from my Coucil. (Circle 10) https://circleten.ihubapp.org/posts/34541/the-national-executive-board-of-the-bsa-just-approved-a-new-membership-fee?fbclid=IwAR3XPx25zXr6Caf_KUgxzGXLJ4MK

Imagining a young @Eagledad and his Flaming Arrows floating up to the boardwalk intersection, idling the engine, and showting: "Hey, ladies! Throw your tanks on this here hover craft of ours, and we'l

I was looking at one of my Boys Life issue from the 80s.  They should be embarrassed by the product they are trying to sell now.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:01 PM, The Latin Scot said:

Well, at least $36 is still something I can afford. Glad I don't have kids at the moment though. :rolleyes: :o

I have 2 myself, plus me.  I am glad though that the Scouter Fee hasn't increased.........YET (knock on wood) 

Definitely sticker shock! We just lost 6 scouts because of this and, because we've already collected dues for the second part of the year, we are scrambling to cover the additional $3200+ we need for recharter (we have a large troop... 68 youth and 28 adult volunteers). Not optimal, but a couple of us are thinking about pooling our resources to just cover the cost increase this year, and then adjust our dues for next year. We don't want any scout to leave the program so our normal ICC contributions will be going to cover the membership fee increase, which stinks because that will hurt the local council and we don't want to do that. 

Any sage advice out there?

Edited by Gilwell_1919

We had Join Scout Night on Sept 26 this year.  Because of that we didn't discuss the National Fee until we knew what it was.  That is what I told parents in parent orientation.  "Its $33 now, but its going up and we dont know how much"  This is the letter I sent out to parents last Friday.

Parents,

During our parent orientation at the end of September we mentioned that a portion of our dues was scheduled to increase pending a decision by the National Executive Board.  On Wednesday they voted to increase the fee for a Youth in Cub Scouting to $60 from the previous fee of $33.  Adult Leaders will increase from $33 to $36.  This fee to National covers things such as liability insurance, program resources, and training development.    The Pack Dues are $65.  This fee that will go directly to our Pack covers…
    $12 for the Pinewood Derby Car
    $15 for Events paid for by the Pack
    $30 for Awards (Adventure Belt Loops, patches, etc.)
    $8 for Den Materials (Allows Den Leaders to purchase supplies)

National Fee - $60 + Pack Fee - $65 = $125

We understand this is a substantial increase, but please keep in mind that Scouting is still one of the more affordable activities that youth can be involved in.  In addition to the fun that we have during our meetings, fishing days, or camping trips, we also strive to help the community through our park clean-up and our participation in Scouting for Food in February.  Through our efforts we are able to contribute a substantial amount of food for those in need in (CITY).    Recharter is the process where a Scout unit renews its charter as an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. This involves: updating your unit's roster (including adding/subtracting members, updating contact information for individuals or your unit's chartering organization).  The Unit, Pack #, must submit this information by December 5th per Council guidelines.  At the point we turn in all Scouts, parents, leaders that are planning on participating next year with payment.  In order to meet this deadline we request that you submit your dues for 2020 by November 24 so we have plenty of time to compile and submit.  If you need financial assistance in any way please let us know as soon you are able.  We do not want money to be a barrier to Scouting.    

The Pack # Committee has voted and agreed on the following options for payment.
    The $60 fee for Scouts and $36 fee for Leaders that goes to National will need to be paid in full by November 24th
    The $65 fee per Scout that goes to the Pack may be split into $20 payments, the first payment due at the beginning of December.
    Of course, you may pay the full amount in one sum if you desire.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, mds3d said:

@5thGenTexan

Why $12 for pinewood derby?  What other than the car does that cover?  Do you really spend $30/scout/year on awards?  I don't do packs so I really don't know what is normal for awards.

We get the car for them and part of that is for rewards, part is for maintenance, etc.  Last year we had to buy new braking strips for the end of the track.

As for awards... belt loops are $1.50  Webelos pins are $2 a pop.  Outdoor Activity patch, Whittlin Chip, etc  It can all add up

50 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

We get the car for them and part of that is for rewards, part is for maintenance, etc.  Last year we had to buy new braking strips for the end of the track.

As for awards... belt loops are $1.50  Webelos pins are $2 a pop.  Outdoor Activity patch, Whittlin Chip, etc  It can all add up

That's interesting.   I'm not sure if it is official or not, but the last time I asked, our district owned the pinewood derby track and "rented" it to packs. The rent paid for maintenance.  

13 hours ago, mds3d said:

That's interesting.   I'm not sure if it is official or not, but the last time I asked, our district owned the pinewood derby track and "rented" it to packs. The rent paid for maintenance.  

Around here packs own their own track or share one with another pack.  The district doesn't own a track.

A cost sharing model like that sounds like a creative idea though.

16 hours ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

I had a few kids that probably hit that amount. 17 belt loops and other stuff adds up.

I'm pushing for a limit on that at our parents mtg coming up. Just the 5 required and 1 elective.

I'd discourage that.  Let the boys earn all they can - just build it into your cost for the pack.  It will all work out.

• Upvote 1

Looking at @5thGenTexan's budget (which is as straight-shooting a letter as any I've seen), my reply as a parent would be, "Here's $85, don't give our kids any awards except a shake from your generous hand."

It's just that simple. The other alternative is parents will sacrifice a night out, or the unit remove one (more) activity.

Until national reduces belt loops to thin strips with just the name of the award in black and white and prints Boy's Life and Scouting, and every handbook and MB pamphlet in two-color at most, it's not showing that it's saving every dime possible. So, we have to decide if we'll do it for them.

22 hours ago, Gilwell_1919 said:

Definitely sticker shock! We just lost 6 scouts because of this and, because we've already collected dues for the second part of the year, we are scrambling to cover the additional $3200+ we need for recharter (we have a large troop... 68 youth and 28 adult volunteers). Not optimal, but a couple of us are thinking about pooling our resources to just cover the cost increase this year, and then adjust our dues for next year. We don't want any scout to leave the program so our normal ICC contributions will be going to cover the membership fee increase, which stinks because that will hurt the local council and we don't want to do that. 

Any sage advice out there?

I applaud your sense of ownership and commitment here, but I don't think you should pay the extra out of your own pocket.  

A troop is yours is a community.  You camp together, your adventure together, succeed together, and fail together.  In an instance like this, I believe you also go back to your families and be up front with them.  Ask each Scout to contribute an additional $27 to cover the difference.  Offer to find some scholarships for anyone who cannot pay the additional $27.  Make it clear that what is important here is continuing in Scouting. Be very clear that you''ll very discretely have some funds available for those who cannot afford the extra $27.  If you're concerned that many cannot afford it, say that and encourage those that can give a little more to write you an extra check which will go into a fund to help those that can't absorb the extra right now.

I would call those 6 scouts too and encourage them to come back and let them know that you can help with the money. 

$27 is not an amount that we should lose Scouts over.  Packs, Troops, Crews, Councils, and National need to pay their fees and so dues are needed.  But, big picture Scouting is an organization that many people are involved with for much of their lives.  It has a huge impact on these young adults and many come back to the program later in life with their own kids.  It would be a shame to lose anyone over the emotional shock of a $27 raise in fees.  I bet that many of your families will feel the same way if given the choice.

12 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Looking at @5thGenTexan's budget (which is as straight-shooting a letter as any I've seen), my reply as a parent would be, "Here's $85, don't give our kids any awards except a shake from your generous hand."

It's just that simple. The other alternative is parents will sacrifice a night out, or the unit remove one (more) activity.

Until national reduces belt loops to thin strips with just the name of the award in black and white and prints Boy's Life and Scouting, and every handbook and MB pamphlet in two-color at most, it's not showing that it's saving every dime possible. So, we have to decide if we'll do it for them.

I hate to be a "how it used to be" thinker...  When I was a Cub Scout in the 80s we still had arrow points and the plastic beads on a plastic string.  It served fine as recognition.  I think the metal belt loops we have now was a solution to a non existent problem, aside from the Scout Shop gets more money.

Furthermore, our handbooks were smaller, printed in mostly black and white with some spot color illustrations,

Is the program better today because there is more bling and the books are prettier???  Can I take a Field Book from the 40s and adjust some of the material to Cub Scout level?  Can I take my handbooks from the 80s and use it it my meetings?  As long as I find a way to make sure what I am doing will apply to the requirements in Scoutbook?