BREAKING - Fee Increase Numbers

Ask your DE how you can tap into this magic assistance fund the BSA put in their announcement.

we all know that both national and councils completed a comprehensive risk analysis on the effects of this decision.

Edited by PACAN
Misspell
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This just in from my Coucil. (Circle 10) https://circleten.ihubapp.org/posts/34541/the-national-executive-board-of-the-bsa-just-approved-a-new-membership-fee?fbclid=IwAR3XPx25zXr6Caf_KUgxzGXLJ4MK

Imagining a young @Eagledad and his Flaming Arrows floating up to the boardwalk intersection, idling the engine, and showting: "Hey, ladies! Throw your tanks on this here hover craft of ours, and we'l

I was looking at one of my Boys Life issue from the 80s.  They should be embarrassed by the product they are trying to sell now.

5 minutes ago, PACAN said:

Ask your DE how you can tap into this magic assistance fund the BSA put in their announcement. 

I inquired about that, and she said she does not have any info yet. She did say that they have a staff meeting next week and hopefully would have more info.

Circle 10's offer for assistance to cover the fee increase...

The Circle Ten Council understands the hardship the new membership fee increase may be causing many of our families. We know the timing is not ideal for budgeting, planning and fundraising opportunities that exist for our Scouts. The most immediate thing we could do was to extend the popcorn sale, allowing final orders to be placed on December 2nd. While this option works for some of our families, we know it doesn't work for everyone.

We are very blessed in Circle Ten Council to have many donors - from foundations, community businesses, individuals, and our Scouting families - who all believe that Scouting should be available to all youth who want to be involved. 

Thanks to these donors and the Circle Ten Council Foundation, I am happy to announce that we have developed a way to assist our families and strengthen our units. This one-time assistance with the 2020 membership fee is available to help with our Cub Scout, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting youth.

Any family can fill out this application (Spanish version). You may request up to $20 in assistance. Priority will be given to those with family income of $60,000 or below and those in units who participate in the popcorn and camp card sales. Please note that while a request is submitted, it may not be granted or granted in full. We will do our best to assist every family who needs it.

The application must be filled out in its entirety and submitted by noon on November 15th. Please email the signed form to C10Support@scouting.org.

By December 9th, upon approval of assistance, you and your unit leader will be notified. The approval must be printed out and attached to the unit recharter paperwork. The recharter paperwork and unit payment must then be submitted to either of our council offices. If anyone in the unit is receiving financial assistance, you cannot submit payment via the online recharter system.

Thank you for your patience through this process. My attention is focused on the many youth of our council and helping their families through this transition.

I am proud to say that Scouting works, Scouting matters and Scouting lasts ... a lifetime. 

Sam Thompson
Scout Executive, Circle Ten Council

app.myscoutlink.com/v.pl?aa7bc2dee1392bbfd701619315793924a6970de90c6005b0

Edited by 5thGenTexan
clarification
  • Thanks 1

Negative feedback on fees increase continues from members on Bryan on Scouting and the New York Post

The once-storied organization sent out a notice to leaders that the registration fee will nearly double from $33 to $60 on Jan. 1, blaming the increase on the rising “cost of insurance.”

“Everybody knows what this is really all about,” fumed Charles Greinsky, vice president of the Staten Island Council Boy Scouts of America, who has been involved in scouting since 1963. “This is about the pedophiles and the insurance we have to pay because of these pedophiles and the fact that the Scouts knew about many of them for years.”

Greinsky called the hike “horrendous,” charging that the scandal-scarred Scouts have been “mismanaged at the national level” for years. “The Scouts have been fighting for survival. There’s been a dwindling membership. … I’m afraid that scouting is on the verge of extinction,” he said.

Source:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/boy-scouts-membership-fees-nearly-double-in-wake-of-sex-abuse-lawsuits/

• Upvote 1

Other than being Yellow Press, what does the NYPost have against the BSA?  They appear to simply look for reasons to bludgeon us.  This is irresponsible and misleading, as seems to be their regular mode of writing.  They use similar tactics to attack some politicians and click bait targets.  They are at least somewhat partially responsible by printing overly hyped stories that infer unproven things and skew the truth, while encouraging the ambulance chasers.  Just my view, but seems pretty obvious that someone there has personal issues with BSA.

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

Other than being Yellow Press, what does the NYPost have against the BSA?  They appear to simply look for reasons to bludgeon us.  This is irresponsible and misleading, as seems to be their regular mode of writing.  They use similar tactics to attack some politicians and click bait targets.  They are at least somewhat partially responsible by printing overly hyped stories that infer unproven things and skew the truth, while encouraging the ambulance chasers.  Just my view, but seems pretty obvious that someone there has personal issues with BSA.

I have searched both the Greater NY Councils and the Staten Island District, and there is nobody by the name quoted on their boards.  As such, I have inquired directly to their Council Executive about any actual involvement of the individual.  

@skeptic, here is an older article that mentions Mr. Greinsky.  It may be one or both articles misquoted his title:

https://www.silive.com/news/2013/01/staten_islanders_support_move.html

From the article:  "It's long overdue," said Eagle Scout Charles Greinsky, an Island Council of Boy Scouts vice president and an officer in the Staten Island Jewish Committee on Scouting. "The principles of leadership and citizenship should be taught to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation."

• Thanks 1

His quote is really not all that surprising or new.  We all know that the rise in insurance prices is a direct result of the sexual abuse lawsuits.  He puts it in very stark terms, but I think everyone knows that part is true.  What he needed to also say was that the abuse happened long ago and that Scouting today has completely different leadership and membership than it did then.  But, when folks make these knee jerk comments, they leave that part out.

On his comments about national.  Goodness, the NYPost could stop by here just about any day of the week and hear the same.  Local Scouters have complained about National forever and probably will complain forever.  What's always missing in these kind of quotes is the next sentence of "here is what National should do to rectify the problem."  I don't know Mr. Griensky and this is the first I've heard his name.  He's a council VP and it sure sounds like he knows what needs to be done.  So, what are they doing to reverse the trend in membership there?  I'm sure it must be working, so let's find out and copy them.

4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Why not just Google his name as I did.  He may not be currently in that position but he was in the past.

I am more interested in his comments as a long time scouter than who the messenger was.

I did Google his name, and I got nothing that current.  Of course, that just shows the Post as not using verified information.  From the older posts, it would indicate he has and had issues with National decisions and stated them.  That is his right.  But I do not care how long he might have been in Scouting.  His quote is misleading and ignores most of the facts.  For me, he is simply continuing to grind his axe related to decisions about which he is and was unhappy.  His comments do nothing to actually help the situation.  JMO of course.  

6 hours ago, skeptic said:

I did Google his name, and I got nothing that current.  Of course, that just shows the Post as not using verified information.  From the older posts, it would indicate he has and had issues with National decisions and stated them.  That is his right.  But I do not care how long he might have been in Scouting.  His quote is misleading and ignores most of the facts.  For me, he is simply continuing to grind his axe related to decisions about which he is and was unhappy.  His comments do nothing to actually help the situation.  JMO of course.  

The NY Post is not really journalism. It's a tabloid. The point of it is to publish the most outrageous and salacious interpretation of the news as possible while still falling on the right side of slander and libel laws. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

The NY Post is not really journalism. It's a tabloid. The point of it is to publish the most outrageous and salacious interpretation of the news as possible while still falling on the right side of slander and libel laws. 

Yes true.  But just about everything they wrote in the article had been said here 100 times.

What this also shows is that we're ceding the floor on this conversation to whatever article comes up.  What I really wish is that at a national level we'd really engage in this conversation. 

See the quotes

“Everybody knows what this is really all about,” fumed Charles Greinsky, vice president of the Staten Island Council Boy Scouts of America, who has been involved in scouting since 1963. “This is about the pedophiles and the insurance we have to pay because of these pedophiles and the fact that the Scouts knew about many of them for years.”

To which someone ought to immediately reply that this happened 20-30 years ago and that none of those people  (whether the abusers or those who didn't stop it) are here anymore.  Then talk about how the BSA has the strongest anti-abuse program today - bar none.

Said attorney Van Arsdale: “Any amount of money you pay this organization (for membership) is foolish because they have not proven they care enough about protecting children.”

Someone needs to immediately call this guy out.  The BSA can very well describe exactly what it is doing today.

Jeff Herman, a New York attorney, has brought numerous cases against the Boy Scouts under CVA. He said “it’s very possible” the Scouts “are trying to raise money to pay for their past misdeeds and the liability for the lawsuits being brought.”

Someone needs to point out exactly where the money in the BSA comes from and is used for.  While everyone supports making abuse victims whole, the money for these lawsuits comes from a) insurance & b) dues from kids in the program today.  These lawsuits are trying to punish an organization of people who had absolutely nothing to do with the abuse and are in the process asking millions of kids to pay for those lawsuits.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, ParkMan said:

What I really wish is that at a national level we'd really engage in this conversation. 

I once heard a CSE mention "getting out in front of the message." Same thing as ypt applies to what their product is. Yet I see nothing.

If there is an advertising program I wonder if national creates media and it's up to each council to pay for local play. Does anyone know? It would explain why there's nothing near me, my council can't afford it. If I'm right, this model is a mistake. My guess is most councils are broke and don't have the experience to use advertising effectively.

3 minutes ago, MacBrave said:

Our council's method of "fee assistance"?   A one-time special popcorn sale with a 75% commission.  Of course units have to order the popcorn in advance and hope they can sell it.........

Similar here.