BREAKING - Fee Increase Numbers

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This just in from my Coucil. (Circle 10) https://circleten.ihubapp.org/posts/34541/the-national-executive-board-of-the-bsa-just-approved-a-new-membership-fee?fbclid=IwAR3XPx25zXr6Caf_KUgxzGXLJ4MK

Imagining a young @Eagledad and his Flaming Arrows floating up to the boardwalk intersection, idling the engine, and showting: "Hey, ladies! Throw your tanks on this here hover craft of ours, and we'l

I was looking at one of my Boys Life issue from the 80s.  They should be embarrassed by the product they are trying to sell now.

$60 was about what I was guessing.  $5/month.  Easy to do the math.  Hopefully it will stick around for a while.

I'll have to plug the numbers into my budget spreadsheet, but a small increase in our annual dues + a bit of belt tightening elsewhere and we should be ok.

• Upvote 1

While it is not as bad as it could have been, I still have concerns.  I hope Nstional does not pull this stunt next year, i.e. waiting until the last minute to announce the change.

Hopefully the will announce e the 2021 price hike tonite.

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

While it is not as bad as it could have been, I still have concerns.  I hope Nstional does not pull this stunt next year, i.e. waiting until the last minute to announce the change.

Hopefully the will announce e the 2021 price hike tonite.

I doubt they can know the 2021 numbers yet.  The big unknown is how many LDS scouts and scouters will stick around.  It probably won't be a lot, but it doesn't have to be a really high percentage to make a significant difference.

Does anyone know if councils are making any concerted effort to get those folks to rejoin?  Of all the recruiting that could be done they would seem to be the most fruitful group to target.

I fear many parents Or scouts who were on the edge about remaining in the program will choose to leave.   

For one of my units this is a 2k impact and we need to scramble about changing this fiscal years Unit dues or eating into the operating budget.   

• Upvote 1

The issue really isn't the $s, it is the last minute change announcement. If they announced this back in July or August, it wouldn't have had any big blow-back. Realistically, this is one or two cups of coffee per month difference for parents. Maybe 3 or 4 cups if they have multiple kids in the program. Go to the local donut shop for a cup instead of Starbucks. The donut shop has better coffee anyway.

National continues to demonstrate they have no change management skills.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

I doubt they can know the 2021 numbers yet.  The big unknown is how many LDS scouts and scouters will stick around.  It probably won't be a lot, but it doesn't have to be a really high percentage to make a significant difference.

Does anyone know if councils are making any concerted effort to get those folks to rejoin?  Of all the recruiting that could be done they would seem to be the most fruitful group to target.

My council sent out a survey. As per policy, they didn't share the results. I don't think it will be very high. Of the 120 or so LDS troops in my district, two new troops have been formed. One of those new troops is specifically for those wanting to finish up their Eagle, I'm not sure about the other one.

the OFFICIAL word from the BSA's National Communications Team:

"For more than 100 years, Scouting has helped build future leaders by combining educational activities and lifelong values with fun and adventure in the outdoors. At Boy Scouts of America, we are dedicated to developing leaders of character by preparing young men and women for life by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law. The timeless ideals of the Scout Law, such as being trustworthy, helpful, kind and brave, make up the foundation young people need to address and overcome challenges in their lives and the issues facing their generation.

Now as we continue the Scouting mission, it is important that we keep pace with an ever-changing world. While costs to the organization have increased every year, the Boy Scouts of America has worked to keep the annual membership fee as low as possible by subsidizing core costs, including liability insurance we must carry to cover all official Scouting activities. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to subsidize at the level we have in the past, especially as the cost of insurance has increased dramatically. We kept the cost low to make Scouting available to as many young people as possible but keeping the cost artificially low for many years now magnifies the impact of changes.

To ensure we have the resources to fulfill the promise of Scouting despite increasing operating costs, the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America has made the difficult but necessary decision to increase the annual membership fee effective January 1, 2020 to:

- $60 for youth members in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts,

- $36 for youth members in Exploring, and

- $36 for adult members

Every dollar of the national membership fee will go toward the cost of essential services, including liability insurance for those participating in approved Scouting activities, program resources, safety standards, youth protection and personal safety training, and services to councils nationwide to sustain Scouting. The National organization will also continue to develop and improve resources that support our volunteers and youth members such as online registration, Member Care and Scoutbook, which now includes the Den Leader experience to ensure the safe and consistent delivery of Cub Scouting; as well as improvements aimed at simplifying the annual renewal process.

Across the country and in our own community, we know that Scouting remains one of the most valuable investments we can make to support young men and women today so they can become the leaders we will turn to tomorrow. From once-in-a-lifetime adventures to merit badges that spark interests and future careers; from campouts under the stars to service projects that leave a lasting impact on our communities; Scouting’s year-round program expands horizons and provides young people with a safe and welcoming place to learn, grow, and thrive.

That is why we are committed to ensuring that all youth can experience the character-building benefits of Scouting regardless of their financial situation. In addition to our existing council and unit membership assistance, we have established a national Growing Future Leaders Fund, which is funded entirely through donations, to provide additional financial support to those who need it."

(BSA Statement, 12:30pm Oct 23, 2019)

• Upvote 1

Whelp

Effective January 1, 2020 the membership fee at registration-recharter in the North Florida Council is:

• $72 per youth member in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts
    • $60 goes to the National Council
    • $12 stays with the North Florida Council
  • $48 per youth member registered in Exploring
    • $36 goes to the National Council
  • $48 per registered Adult Member
    • $36 goes to the National Council

This is worrisome:

Q:         Some Scout Councils across the Country charge a “Program Fee” in addition to the membership fee . Is that allowed?
A:         Starting August 1, 2020, Local Scout Councils can choose to charge a local program fee, up to but no more than the national membership fee – up to $60 for youth members in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts; up to $36 for youth members in Exploring and up to $36 for adult members. The local program fee can include local insurance costs (i.e., accident, property, etc.), as well as cost to administer unique local programming efforts. 

Please note-  The North Florida Council, BSA does not currently charge a Program Fee.

Q:         The North Florida Council collects $12 at recharter to cover insurance. Does this change mean that fee is no longer necessary?
A:         No, the liability insurance that we need to carry for all Scouting activities at the national level is different from local North Florida Council fees that are collected to address local needs, which can include such as local property and accident insurance, as well as unique local programming costs.

So I fully expect to get hit with even more fees in 2020 for the 2021 year.  :mad:

• Upvote 1