I soooooooooooooooooo wanted to make beer cheese, but alas, the rules say no.

So, this weekend, I, along with our 2 other adults, made pork schnitzel, spaetzel, German green beans and homemade applesauce.  Lots of butter involved here.

For the pork schnitzel, get thin sliced boneless pork chops.  Slice off any fat and pound even thinner.  Then dredge in flour.  Next in egg/milk.  Finally in Italian bread crumbs.  Sautée in butter 2-3 minutes for each side.  Slice of lemon.

Cook the spaetzel to the directions on the bag.  Add butter.

Get fresh, trimmed green beans.  Boil for just a few minutes.  Drain.  Sautée a small, chopped onion and either cooked, chopped bacon or prosciutto (we used the latter) in butter until the onion is soft.  Add the green beans and stir for about 5 minutes.

My wife has a handy dandy Pampered chef apple peeler, corer slicer that I brought.  Use that on about 5 granny smith apples.  In a pot, put the apple, 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Mash, but leave chunky.

20191019_174138.jpg

This piece of pork was very tender despite some charring.  The other pieces were golden brown.

• Upvote 2

Das sieht lecker aus!

You are a more ambitious camp chef than me.  I'd probably just grill a few bratwursts and serve 'em up with sauerkraut and some good German mustard.  Never tried serving them on a scout campout though....mostly because I'd have to leave the beer at home, and Oktoberfest without beer is like a night without moonshine!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mrkstvns said:

Das sieht lecker aus!

You are a more ambitious camp chef than me.  I'd probably just grill a few bratwursts and serve 'em up with sauerkraut and some good German mustard.  Never tried serving them on a scout campout though....mostly because I'd have to leave the beer at home, and Oktoberfest without beer is like a night without moonshine!

Sigh, the lack of beer was a frequent lament.

To be honest, this wasn't that hard to do.  Adults have a three burner stove, so it was just a matter of thinking through the best order.  We started the applesauce first.  Then the green beans and spaetzel.  The pork was really quick, so it was last.  The only thing that slowed us was not having enough pots to run all 3 burners at once (applesauce, beans and spaetzel).

We try to set an example for the scouts to go beyond basic meals.  Plus we like to eat well.

3 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Cook the spaetzel to the directions on the bag.  Add butter.

Since you made everything else from scratch, try getting a spaetzle maker and making your own. Some 20 years ago someone from Germany brought us one. It's easy and tastes good. We're still using the same one. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, MattR said:

Since you made everything else from scratch, try getting a spaetzle maker and making your own. Some 20 years ago someone from Germany brought us one. It's easy and tastes good. We're still using the same one. 

I looked at that, but I just don't see me using one often enough to justify it.  This was the first time I've has spaetzel.

I don't need more house clutter.  ☺️

Edited by 69RoadRunner

nice! Next move is to do it over an open fire. In some aspects it is easier as there is more room; the pots/pans aren't jammed in next to each other and you can have 3 ppl cooking simultaeneously.  If you can't have a fire tho, I suppose you are stuck with the 3 burner.

12 hours ago, DuctTape said:

nice! Next move is to do it over an open fire. In some aspects it is easier as there is more room; the pots/pans aren't jammed in next to each other and you can have 3 ppl cooking simultaeneously.  If you can't have a fire tho, I suppose you are stuck with the 3 burner.

I'm not sure the fire pit was large enough for 3 pots.  We also needed to cook the beans in a skillet and of course the schnitzel in a skillet.

We do have a nice cowboy fire cooking setup for grilling or hanging a pot over a fire.  It will likely be used at Iron Chef next month.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

How do you think, if it is ok to cook that recipy using a small electric grill, like mine George Foreman GFO240S? I tried to make grilled fish a couple of times using it, but I didn't reach the good result. But I think the case is in my skills of cooking fish... But who knows, maybe that kind oggrills are good only for cheese and vegies? 

Edited by RememberSchiff