First Campout...

... as Cubmaster.

Its a Council camp specifically for new Scouts and their families, but everyone in the Pack is invited.  Meals will be in the dining hall, and there is program all day long ending with a big campfire.  I don't have to plan meals, cook, or provide much.  After the big fire we are going to have a small fire at our campsite just for the new Scouts to not feel like they are missing out.  I plan on having the Pack sing Vespers before going to bed, aside from that I don't have much "planned".

If I dont make it back alive, please don't forget me.  🤣

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I lived and made it home.  But there were kids this weekend that looked at me like I was crazy and it was their first time EVER.  When I used the word "No".

Congratulations!

I completely understand re the kids and their amazement at the word "no."  As a former JROTC instructor, I saw the same dynamic.

• Like 1

As an scout with a frayed neckerchief and faded pack, I watch new scout adults on campouts and cringe at some things.  The one thing I try to suggest politely is state the desired act, not what you want changed.  Example:  I heard a lot of adults yell "stop running" versus "walk or slow down".  It is a small thing, but those young minds process much differently than mine.  I have to stress what I want them to do rather than what not to do. 

Kind of like homework options:  What homework do you want to do first rather than the adult choosing. 

LOL. Our 3 year old grand daughter told us the other day that "We don't say no". Different problem for her young parents, they have been saying no so much that the meaning lost it's effect on our very bright grand daughter (we saw it coming). So, they are now using sentences instead of the word "no" to stop the little princess. And starting with please. I know they will figure it out because they want to figure it out. But, "no" is still used at Grammy and Papa's house. We just do it better. 😎

Barry

Double Eagle:  Stop Running / No running is acceptable. Especially in our council camps - when my boys were cubs we had a summer camp week where the ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) child was told stop running in camp several times and it was explained daily why no running in camp - until he ran in camp, tripped on a rock or tree root and broke his hand.  Safety doesn’t always need gentle reminders  

this weekend we had a cub Activity day with picnic & s’mores after. One cub family left early because their child wanted to eat s’mores while everyone was eating lunch (everyone was told those would be made after everyone ate lunch). Parents told the child - to eat their lunch or sit quietly and “if your going to have a tantrum over the rules-we go home” and they did. 👏👏👏

Edited by Momleader
Explanations
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Momleader said:

this weekend we had a cub Activity day with picnic & s’mores after. One cub family left early because their child wanted to eat s’mores while everyone was eating lunch (everyone was told those would be made after everyone ate lunch). Parents told the child - to eat their lunch or sit quietly and “if your going to have a tantrum over the rules-we go home” and they did. 👏👏👏

That's how you teach "No". 

Barry

20 minutes ago, Momleader said:

... “if your going to have a tantrum over the rules-we go home” and they did. 👏👏👏

When he was about that age, I once told Son #1 that if he kept throwing a tantrum, I'd take his litter sister to the Steeler game instead of him (his uncle had given me a pair of tickets) ... and I did.

I'm not sure I ever told that story to my scouts. I wouldn't want them up at night wondering how they got stuck with the cruel adult leader.:ph34r:

• Haha 1