Signing Scout Phrases (ASL)

Anyone have a good resource for someone who knows zero sign language to learn a few Scout-related phrases? Most importantly, how to sign "Be Prepared", but any others would be a nice bonus for me to know. 

I've done some googling but I'm not knowledgable enough with ASL to know what the proper sign is, ASL vs. standard sign language, etc., and I don't want to get the wrong signs. 

I made the classic scout leader move of volunteering to teach this and will now go about figuring out how to do it so I can teach it. 😄

Edited by FireStone

@FireStone, sorry to say I can't help you. I've used online sites for religious terms in ASL, but not scouting. However, you might want to call around to agencies that serve hearing impaired. Your local hospital or county courthouse could be a good start. Round here, I would call the school for the deaf. Sometimes they can send a volunteer. They might even know a few scouts in your area who sign ASL.

It's definitely more fun to learn from someone who uses it as a first language.

• Upvote 1

My son was non-verbal due to his autism until he was almost 4.  We used sign language to help him communicate, but, it wasn't standard ASL.  Rather, we used word-order.  I'm not an expert but, as I understand it, when you see the signers along side a presentation they aren't signing a word-for-word translation.  Rather the signing has a different structure.  Word-order is basically learning the signs for "Be" and "Prepared" and using them in that order.  Anyway, I think this is the book we used.  It was 20 years ago now so the memory is foggy.

• Upvote 1