Voice of the Scout surveys

14 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

Do you really think anyone ever really reads what we type on these surveys?

@Jackdaws, I believe they read the surveys.  But that's all they do.

Councils and National work to their own complete satisfaction.  Anything other than praise is ignored.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Several of the BSA surveys I've responded to over the years have used design mechanisms that can skew answers. Many surveys do this and it's why you have to be skeptical of survey results. When BSA issues a survey, they are generally looking for data that will support some marketing message they will eventually spin out. 

• Upvote 3
27 minutes ago, yknot said:

design mechanisms that can skew answers  ... they are generally looking for data that will support some marketing message they will eventually spin out.

To be fair, @Jackdaws asked the question in the OP in a way that supports a particular message:

58 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

qwazse, I was attempting to answer that question. The answer is that they probably read it, but they are only looking to extract the data that was the purpose of their issuing the survey in the first place, since it's skewed to give them some data they are looking for. Does that make more sense? 

2 hours ago, Jackdaws said:

They may read them, but they will do what they want.  And if the polls do show the majority approve, you can bet you will hear about it.

After the circa 2014/15 poll on changes to Eagle Palm requirements,  national did indeed post the results.  18% were against removing time requirements and 76% were strongly against removing the time requirements.  But in 2016 the went against 94% of those polled and created "instapalms" anyway.

Notice how a lot of polls since that first one are not released now?

15 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Only if it fits the already decided upon agenda

I agree with this.   I think they sent out the most recent one to test the waters before this rate increase hits.   I wonder if we will see another one afterwards or at the beginning of the year?

These are the 3 areas I said could use improvement and my responses.  I saw it as an opportunity for a couple rants.  :D:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jackdaws
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jackdaws said:

I agree with this.   I think they sent out the most recent one to test the waters before this rate increase hits.   I wonder if we will see another one afterwards or at the beginning of the year?

These are the 3 areas I said could use improvement and my responses.  I saw it as an opportunity for a couple rants.  :D:

Capture.PNG

I bet they won't send you anymore surveys now. 

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Jackdaws said:

Capture.PNG

I agree with the 'don't wait until the last minute' thing, and what it does to those of us who have to stand in front of a room full of parents and or Scouters and explain that we are not the ones to be throwing stones at when these things are announced just before taking effect.  My DC and I were on the way to a meeting at the council office this past Sunday, and were in agreement that if there absolutely has to be a fee increase, it should wait until re-charter time NEXT year.

I do at times wish there was something better than popcorn to raise funding that helps both the troop and the council.  I know how tough it is to ask someone to throw down $30 for a bag of popcorn, and still keep a straight face.  I also do see the direct results that some of that money that makes it to the council, in the form of camp improvements, scholarships, etc; so I and my Scout get out there and sell as much as possible.

I have been to many camps that need to do better with restrooms/showers, not just for female Scouts, but just in general.  This summer's out of state camp had shower rooms that were a considerable walk from the campsite, and nothing designating male/female usage, despite several girl troops being in camp that week.  Last summer, we were in a camp that also had very large shower blocks shared by several campsites.  They had put up signs on the row of adult only showers designating them as for both adults and female youth.

Our local council camp (and based on some of your posts, @Jackdaws, I believe we are in the same council) has restroom/shower facilities in each campsite, so if we have a female unit in camp, they already have their own showers.  Granted, it is limited to 2 showers, 2 toilets, and 2 urinals in each site, but most other camps I have been to, troops would love to have that available.

As to anyone reading the surveys, I have to believe that someone does.  I know that I go online and read the comments in surveys submitted by school staff after they attend training.  I want to know if they feel my instructors are doing a good job, and if they feel that there are any changes we need to look at before the next session.

Edited by MikeS72
7 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

As to anyone reading the surveys, I have to believe that someone does.  I know that I go online and read the comments in surveys submitted by school staff after they attend training.  I want to know if they feel my instructors are doing a good job, and if they feel that there are any changes we need to look at before the next session.

I work in the research field and, more then than not, polls and survey results are often interpreted to support a pre-desired vision. 

Barry

4 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I work in the research field and, more then than not, polls and survey results are often interpreted to support a pre-desired vision. 

Barry

In many cases I would agree; fortunately, not in all cases.

25 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

I agree with the 'don't wait until the last minute' thing, and what it does to those of us who have to stand in front of a room full of parents and or Scouters and explain that we are not the ones to be throwing stones at when these things are announced just before taking effect.  My DC and I were on the way to a meeting at the council office this past Sunday, and were in agreement that if there absolutely has to be a fee increase, it should wait until re-charter time NEXT year.

I do at times wish there was something better than popcorn to raise funding that helps both the troop and the council.  I know how tough it is to ask someone to throw down $30 for a bag of popcorn, and still keep a straight face.  I also do see the direct results that some of that money that makes it to the council, in the form of camp improvements, scholarships, etc; so I and my Scout get out there and sell as much as possible.

I have been to many camps that need to do better with restrooms/showers, not just for female Scouts, but just in general.  This summer's out of state camp had shower rooms that were a considerable walk from the campsite, and nothing designating male/female usage, despite several girl troops being in camp that week.  Last summer, we were in a camp that also had very large shower blocks shared by several campsites.  They had put up signs on the row of adult only showers designating them as for both adults and female youth.

Our local council camp (and based on some of your posts, @Jackdaws, I believe we are in the same council) has restroom/shower facilities in each campsite, so if we have a female unit in camp, they already have their own showers.  Granted, it is limited to 2 showers, 2 toilets, and 2 urinals in each site, but most other camps I have been to, troops would love to have that available.

Camp Shands is much nicer than it used to be.   Echockotee still has light years to go on getting enough restrooms.   One campsite has a bathroom that hasn't worked in years.  So it means that multiple campsites are using 1 women's restroom and if someone is taking a shower in there, you can forget it.   For some events they bring in porta potty's.  In Florida, you want to avoid those as much as possible.    ;)

Its interesting to see from council to council how the restrooms are.    2 summers ago we went to Rainey Mountain and to me the bathrooms were not that great.  My son complained that in the boys shower that several times, someone had pooped in the shower and there were other "bodily fluids" in there also.    We went to Woodruff this past summer and it was so much nicer and a lot more private bathrooms and showers.  Very clean.

I just feel like the BSA isn't remembering the scout law in some of their decisions.  How are we supposed to be thrifty when given very little notice about a rate increase?   How is that courteous and trustworthy to families?  It hurts potential loyalty also.  Why should we trust that it wont just go up every year?